5,815,179 Members 38,936 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Can i make OTA update with root ?

Tip us?

Kaze974
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Can i make OTA update with root ?

Hello everyone! I am a beginner in the modification of Android, having rooted my g2 I followed a tutorial to fix the 4g on AMALBK in France. but I wondered if these changes could cause problems during updates? Can I do the update without fear via lg pc suite or OTA? I'd prefer not to have flashing process or complex changes . Please help me.

Sorry for my bad english.

LG G2 , D80220b, stock rom , root .

Kaze974
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Up

khaytsus
Old
Thanks Meter 1,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaze974 View Post
Hello everyone! I am a beginner in the modification of Android, having rooted my g2 I followed a tutorial to fix the 4g on AMALBK in France. but I wondered if these changes could cause problems during updates? Can I do the update without fear via lg pc suite or OTA? I'd prefer not to have flashing process or complex changes . Please help me.

Sorry for my bad english.

LG G2 , D80220b, stock rom , root .
If you modify the ROM you won't be able to OTA. That includes custom recovery, moving, renaming, or otherwise modifying anything in /system.
AT&T LG G2 - 4.4.4, AOKP
Nexus 7 Wifi 2012 - 4.4.4, AOKP (m-kernel)
Samsung Note i717 - 4.2.2, Unofficial AOKP
Try my Alternative XDA CSS Themes (including 2010!)

--
http://theblackmoor.net
http://unlimitedphoto.com

Kaze974
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
If you modify the ROM you won't be able to OTA. That includes custom recovery, moving, renaming, or otherwise modifying anything in /system.
Thank you for the answer! How to find a phone like the factory? Can I update with lg pc suite?

Smoke28
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I tried updating my phone via OTA the other day, but because I had TWRP recovery, when my system installed the updated, it would boot into TWRP, and.... that was basically it, could not update, had to rollback from a backup I took moments before. Then, in a stroke of genius, I used flashify to restore the original recovery and almost bricked my device.

Big tip for anyone in this situation...

When using flashify, use recovery IMAGE not zip, if you use the zip function, it has to boot into a recovery to use it, so the image file is the preferred method, in my opinion.