Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,404 Members 48,610 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Bootloop, no recovery - how to shutdown the phone

Tip us?

poundesville
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 67
Default [Q] Bootloop, no recovery - how to shutdown the phone

Hello,

I'm on LG G2 Stock Rom on Kit Kat (4.4.2). The phone is rooted but no custom recovery as I just need "root" to run Titanium backup.
Yesterday, I attempted to update the 1 XML file to increase speaker volume. Upon restart the phone will stuck on LG logo and does nothing.

I can access download mode. So now, i'm downloading LG Flash Tool and KDZ file for my phone to flash all back to stock.

The question is now: how do I turn off the phone? Pressing power button will simply restart the phone - it never goes to off.

Another question: if I don't install any custom recovery, is there any stock recovery installed? When I attempted to go to recovery (by pressing volume down + power method), I was presented with Factory reset questions. I clicked OK twice and then Android logo appears (it seems like it's attempting to really do a factory reset) and then phone reboots.

If I can go to stock recovery, I hope I can access the storage inside and redo what I did yesterday.

Anyone can help? Or share some knowledge?
Thanks

poundesville
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 67
The latest software upgrade was installed by using LGMobile support tool. I'm back to stock and finish with ioRoot.
Now, going to use AutoRec to install recovery (better to have custom now, so if this happens again, I have a way to access my phone data).

No answers given but it's no longer urgent now. Still if anyone found a way to off the phone when boot looping other than waiting for battery to run dry, by all means, please reply the thread.

Thanks.

username4this
Old
Thanks Meter 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by poundesville View Post
The latest software upgrade was installed by using LGMobile support tool. I'm back to stock and finish with ioRoot.
Now, going to use AutoRec to install recovery (better to have custom now, so if this happens again, I have a way to access my phone data).

No answers given but it's no longer urgent now. Still if anyone found a way to off the phone when boot looping other than waiting for battery to run dry, by all means, please reply the thread.

Thanks.
Unplug the USB cable if it's plugged.
Hold power button for like 30 seconds straight.
The Following User Says Thank You to username4this For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jkjambo
Old
Thanks Meter 21
To turn off phone ,just push volume down and power button same time for like 7-10 sec, it will be like restart , but keep them pressed until screen shuts off again (it will take less then 1 sec). Thats all
The Following User Says Thank You to jkjambo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

poundesville
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by username4this View Post
Unplug the USB cable if it's plugged.
Hold power button for like 30 seconds straight.
I didn't time 30 seconds, but I did press power button for a long time. Is this method for when you can use the phone? Mine is during boot loop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjambo View Post
To turn off phone ,just push volume down and power button same time for like 7-10 sec, it will be like restart , but keep them pressed until screen shuts off again (it will take less then 1 sec). Thats all
I can't say for sure now, since I have my phone backed-on. But I sort of press these buttons for a long time at the beginning (when I wasn't really sure how to go to recovery mode). But good to know about this - (for next time ).

thanks both!

jkjambo
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Only method i know to completely shut down phone in any situation is what i already wrote in last post.

Paulbkk
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjambo View Post
Only method i know to completely shut down phone in any situation is what i already wrote in last post.
Agreed.
it happen to me too when I try to install MIUI ROM.
Pull off USB cable and long press power the power button

poundesville
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 67
Thanks. I'll remember this, if I got unlucky and stuck in booth loops.
For now, I installed recovery, so hopefully if this happens, I can still access my internal folder and do the require changes.