Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Without encryption, what can thieves access?

OP boffo123

4th December 2014, 08:36 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

7 posts
I've got a D803 on KitKat LiquidSmooth Milestone 3.2 (11/10) and full device encryption doesn't seem to work (encrypting gets stuck at 0% forever). Since I can't encrypt (at least on my current ROM), that got me to thinking what's vulnerable on my phone without encryption?

I know that without encryption, a thief can access all files on my phone. Even if they can't get past my PIN code, they can always gain access via recovery. Assuming I don't have any locally stored photos or text messages of any interest, what should I be worried about?

I suspect Gmail keeps a local copy of recent emails, but is that stored in the clear? Even so, I don't think I'd be very worried if a thief could read my emails, though I'd prefer they couldn't. Similarly for Google Drive.

In general, would a thief be able to access my Google account to alter content or settings? Maybe there's some security token stored somewhere that a thief could somehow use to access to my account?

And then of course there is general app-specific data that may contain whatever the author decides to store. I'm mainly concerned about my Google account, but any insight on vulnerability of app data in general, and what might be done to mitigate potential loss, would be welcome.
10th December 2014, 07:03 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 4

36 posts
I'm interested in this as well.

Gesendet von meinem iPad mit Tapatalk
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread