FORUMS

[Q] need an expert, i hope this isnt the motherboard

156 posts
Thanks Meter: 29

By resinis, Senior Member on 21st June 2015, 03:45 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Ok, so my G2 died the other day. Well, it still works great, but the screen went to white fuzz... like what you used to see when the rabbit ears on your Tube TV didnt get any reception. Static fuzz, but thats all it showed when i powered it on.

The phone, that day before it broke, was on the boat and got really hot. Once it cooled down that night this happened.

In my grand fix it fashion, i opened the phone up wrong and ripped the LCD ribbon off the screen. Blah. So I just ordered a new OEM lcd panel/touch digitizer kit from ebay.

Popped that in the phone, and behold, it booted to the LG logo!! then the logo went out. That was that, just a black screen. But the phone still was working, i can hear it boot up and receiving texts.

I tried to boot it a few more times (disconnect the battery, reconnect, boot). The LG logo comes up, then goes out.

I found out if i let the phone sit for 30min or so, it will actually boot just long enough to hit the desktop and it seems fine. But it wont respond to touch at all, then seconds later it goes black again and thats that until I let it cool.

There is nothing else apparently wrong. It just wont respond to touch at all and the screen blanks out soon after boot. Its definitely some chip heating up too much and failing. I see on the main ribbon assembly, the one that connect the LCD to the mainboard, has some chips on it... it reminds me (A LOT!) of the TCON boards on LCD TV's. When those go bad, the TV still works fine but the display is all messed up. So I ordered that assembly and it will be here in a few days... but has anyone seen this before? does that ribbon assembly really ever fail? Again, the motherboard would be the only thing left, but that does still boot and work... I haven't tried connecting it to a TV but i wouldn't be surprised if that works... it just doesnt display anything on the phone's screen.

27th June 2015, 06:27 AM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 29

More
cable assembly didnt work :/

ordered a motherboard. this will be a practically new phone by the time its working again... if ever...
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
fuzz, lcd, panel, touch, touchscreen
Previous Thread Next Thread