- Given by a friend, the phone started off by booting straight to fastboot, and had download mode available after he flashed a ROM designed for a tablet.
- I attempted the .TOT method described here, where I used LGTools. I then only realized that this method was only suitable for an US device, such as AT&T, T-Mobile, or Verizon (couldn't find a Rogers .TOT). I didn't modify the phone in any way.
- I then continued to download the Rogers KDZ file here. Using the method described in the same post above, I performed the upgrade, only to realize that this was method wasn't working either.
- I then did some scouring to find a way to boot into TWRP (which was already installed). I found this trick: If you hold the power button down until the phone turns off, you can hold power and down until you see the LG symbol, and then depress and press them again immediately to get into TWRP!
- In TWRP... I realized that the partitions were all messed up. It was showing 6GB internal, and countless errors were popping up. Another dead end. ADB was working, but I was unable to push anything.
- I then realized I should attempt to flash updated partitions using fastboot. Using the cmd line in Windows, I erased and flashed partitions I downloaded here after putting the phone in fastboot mode.
This is where I did something stupid.
- Instead of clicking and downloading on that site, I right-clicked "save-as" and downloaded 8kb corrupted partition files. I continued and flashed them unknowingly... and right after, the phone decided to not boot at all.
- Using VMWARE and Ubuntu 14.04, I attempted to reflash the partitions using Linux commands described here. Unfortunately, the device would not show the /sd* partitions. Certainly, the bootloader that communicates with the PC does not allocate the partitions properly anymore.
- Alright, the phone wont boot, because I flashed a bad bootloader. No biggie right? I would see the device as Qualcomm hs-usb qdloader 9008.
- That's when I scoured for a new method to fix the partitions. I came across QPEST and eMMC Software App to get this device back alive.
- I spent hours trying to find the right .hex and .mbn file on Chinese websites. I found 8974_msimage.mbn, MPRG8974.hex, flash.xml, rawprogram0.xml and patch0.xml. I had to create accounts of a bunch of sites to finally download the correct files.
- Carefully using QPST, I was able to get the phone in Download Mode (Qualcomm download mode, not LG download mode), and pushed the instructions to the device.
- ... too bad. I thought I did everything right. The device times out in the process EVERYTIME.
The phone is officially dead, there isn't a way I know of to get it started (at least to fastboot again). It really pays off to check what you're flashing before you do it. The internet is full of crap.