Post Reply

Mahdi ROM Kernel Tweaker & Battery Life Thread

OP w00ZzL

2nd July 2014, 10:11 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Flag Berlin
Thanks Meter: 4
 
12 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2014
More
Hey guys.

I have a clean Mahdi ROM (the latest from like 1 week ago) and have the feeling that the battery drains slightly faster than in stock. Apart from other things I started trying different kernel tweaks and I discovered the following:

The governor, although showing explanations for a whole 7 different modes, only allows me to either pick "interactive" or "performance".

Since I never really need the CPU settings from interactive mode, I actually want to use conservative.

How can I realise that now?

Please feel free to post your battery life stats, I'm really curious.

Sidenote: I have "transparent weather clock" on my homescreen and it seems to need a lot of battery. Does anyone have a recommendation for a lightweight & goodlooking homescreen widget?
Last edited by w00ZzL; 2nd July 2014 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Sidenote
2nd July 2014, 11:03 PM   |  #2  
Ace42's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 1,132
 
9,183 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2009
More
The kernel for that ROM only contains two governors, please do not use performance because it only uses your max frequency, which is bad for temp & battery life.
2nd July 2014, 11:11 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Flag Berlin
Thanks Meter: 4
 
12 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2014
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace42

The kernel for that ROM only contains two governors, please do not use performance because it only uses your max frequency, which is bad for temp & battery life.

Ok, thanks for the info. I wondern why it only contains those two though.

I'd never use performance, interactive already provides more power than I need.

I'm just looking for a way to actually use the conservative mode.
3rd July 2014, 09:06 AM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Flag Berlin
Thanks Meter: 4
 
12 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2014
More
Something weird just happened to me: my phone was at about 38% and when I looked 1h later, it was pretty warm and powered off 1min later because battery had dropped to 1%.

I think this is pretty weird. I did not use the phone in that hour and had no apps running.

As illogical it might sound, my first suspect was the energy saving mode I enabled. I dont know why but I think it messed something up.

Does anyone have similar issues or any useful advice for me?
3rd July 2014, 12:07 PM   |  #5  
Ace42's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 1,132
 
9,183 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2009
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by w00ZzL

Ok, thanks for the info. I wondern why it only contains those two though.

I'd never use performance, interactive already provides more power than I need.

I'm just looking for a way to actually use the conservative mode.

The developer believes those to be the best choices, I have no clue why. Interactive mostly stays near the max freq & makes my phone uber hot like an oven. Feel free to use Render kernel, its in the general section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00ZzL

Something weird just happened to me: my phone was at about 38% and when I looked 1h later, it was pretty warm and powered off 1min later because battery had dropped to 1%.

I think this is pretty weird. I did not use the phone in that hour and had no apps running.

As illogical it might sound, my first suspect was the energy saving mode I enabled. I dont know why but I think it messed something up.

Does anyone have similar issues or any useful advice for me?

I've never experienced that, are you on the latest nightly?

Transmitted via Geass
3rd July 2014, 04:03 PM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member
Flag Berlin
Thanks Meter: 4
 
12 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2014
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace42

The developer believes those to be the best choices, I have no clue why. Interactive mostly stays near the max freq & makes my phone uber hot like an oven. Feel free to use Render kernel, its in the general section.

Do you have Render kernel? If yes which governor mode are you using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace42

I've never experienced that, are you on the latest nightly?

I'm on the version from 6-28 and patch V6 which should be the latest?!
Last edited by w00ZzL; 3rd July 2014 at 04:52 PM.
4th July 2014, 03:36 AM   |  #7  
Ace42's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 1,132
 
9,183 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2009
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by w00ZzL

Do you have Render kernel? If yes which governor mode are you using?



I'm on the version from 6-28 and patch V6 which should be the latest?!

That is the latest, I'm currently using Render kernelon 6-28 with ondemand.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-g...t2803929/page5
4th July 2014, 07:50 PM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member
Flag Berlin
Thanks Meter: 4
 
12 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2014
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace42

That is the latest, I'm currently using Render kernelon 6-28 with ondemand.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-g...t2803929/page5

Thanks for bringing that kernel up, I've flashed it yesterday and am delighted. Will try the release from today now.

BTW my low battery life is gone now so thanks again.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in G2 Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank