Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,657 Members 43,157 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] [Newbie Question] Details about rooting

Tip us?

tomarin
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] [Newbie Question] Details about rooting

Hello all, and please help me with some small details before rooting.
I have an LG G2 with stock KITKAT 4.4.2., baseband M8974A-1.0.190084,kernel 3.4.0., build D80220b, software D80220b-219-02.
My questions
- do I need to upgrade stock firmware to D802d or D802f before rooting, and if yes wich is more stable
- is a SIM card needed (as inserted in the phone) for rooting process
- do I need to unlock the phone before rooting since it is locked with my local carrier (TELE 2 HR)
- does a custom ROM automaticly eliminate OTA upgrade and so prevent from bricking, or it must be unchecked manualy
- when installing a custom ROM (probably Cludy G3) do I need to flash a new custom kernel or it doesent mater (probably Bruce if it is compatibile)
- how does one check for compatibility ROM - kernel, is it just simple as finding "stock ROM" - "stock kernel" in the title
- do I need to instal a new KK baseband before custom ROM since I am allready on KITKAT
- do I need to do any kind of factory reset and/or wipe before rooting or later instaling a custom ROM

Thank you very much in advance, I have been searching all over for this simple answers but couldnt find any,
Sorry if the questions are too noobish but I am afraid tostart anything before I find the answers

Rei Zazie
Old
Thanks Meter 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomarin View Post
Hello all, and please help me with some small details before rooting.
I have an LG G2 with stock KITKAT 4.4.2., baseband M8974A-1.0.190084,kernel 3.4.0., build D80220b, software D80220b-219-02.
My questions
- do I need to upgrade stock firmware to D802d or D802f before rooting, and if yes wich is more stable
- is a SIM card needed (as inserted in the phone) for rooting process
- do I need to unlock the phone before rooting since it is locked with my local carrier (TELE 2 HR)
- does a custom ROM automaticly eliminate OTA upgrade and so prevent from bricking, or it must be unchecked manualy
- when installing a custom ROM (probably Cludy G3) do I need to flash a new custom kernel or it doesent mater (probably Bruce if it is compatibile)
- how does one check for compatibility ROM - kernel, is it just simple as finding "stock ROM" - "stock kernel" in the title
- do I need to instal a new KK baseband before custom ROM since I am allready on KITKAT
- do I need to do any kind of factory reset and/or wipe before rooting or later instaling a custom ROM

Thank you very much in advance, I have been searching all over for this simple answers but couldnt find any,
Sorry if the questions are too noobish but I am afraid tostart anything before I find the answers
1. You don't have to upgrade because you can use rooter that is compatible with your current firmware build, the differences between the firmware are only on their features, with less case of minor problem solved from previous build.
2. No, you don't need to put your SIM on.
3. Custom ROMs are meant to give you better performance of the current build, especially if it is Stock Based Custom ROM. Why you shouldn't update via OTA? because with several changes in the custom ROM, Official build will find it different from its official release, which would cause errors that could ended up with bootloop, even worse.. Hopefully, several developers also have their own OTA feature so people can easily get the update.
4. It doesn't matter since Custom ROMs sometimes come with their own suggested kernel that fit with the ROM. But you can also try other kernels if it suits you.
5. Yes, it is quite that simple, but also try to find out whether it is compatible or not with the ROM.
6. No, if you already on KitKat, you don't need to flash KK baseband.
7. Only when you are about to flashing new ROM..
My Works

***Sword Art Online Theme for Gingerbread and UP***
***Change your WT19i Walkman Button Function***
Sony Ericsson WT19i
Zelly Cream 5.0 - REINCARNATION
Locked Bootloader
The Following User Says Thank You to Rei Zazie For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tomarin
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rei Zazie View Post
1. You don't have to upgrade because you can use rooter that is compatible with your current firmware build, the differences between the firmware are only on their features, with less case of minor problem solved from previous build.
2. No, you don't need to put your SIM on.
3. Custom ROMs are meant to give you better performance of the current build, especially if it is Stock Based Custom ROM. Why you shouldn't update via OTA? because with several changes in the custom ROM, Official build will find it different from its official release, which would cause errors that could ended up with bootloop, even worse.. Hopefully, several developers also have their own OTA feature so people can easily get the update.
4. It doesn't matter since Custom ROMs sometimes come with their own suggested kernel that fit with the ROM. But you can also try other kernels if it suits you.
5. Yes, it is quite that simple, but also try to find out whether it is compatible or not with the ROM.
6. No, if you already on KitKat, you don't need to flash KK baseband.
7. Only when you are about to flashing new ROM..
Thank you very much for your detailed answers !!