Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

This may be a stupid question but since..

OP wasabitobiko

22nd July 2014, 03:22 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 4

28 posts
... since the g2 and nexus 5 have (generally) the same specs, when you root the g2 is it turning it into a nexus 5 and can you use nexus 5 ROMS or no?

Thanks in advance..

Cheers!
TechGirl90
22nd July 2014, 03:37 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 0

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabitobiko

... since the g2 and nexus 5 have (generally) the same specs, when you root the g2 is it turning it into a nexus 5 and can you use nexus 5 ROMS or no?

Thanks in advance..

Cheers!

Greetings[emoji4][emoji4], its not turning into a nexus 5 UNTIL you can flash custom Roms that are compatible with your G2 aswell as being compatible with the Nexus 5 already, when I was rooted, I flashed Cyanogenmod 11/Paranoid Android/Mahdi Rom,etc, and I saw my phone as a Nexus 5 or even better, but yes you can flash Custom Roms that are compatible with the Nexus 5 for your G2.[emoji6][emoji6]

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk
Last edited by TechGirl90; 22nd July 2014 at 03:42 AM. Reason: Typo
22nd July 2014, 12:26 PM   |  #3  
Flag Mostar
Thanks Meter: 318

1,009 posts
More
Thats not correct. If you flash CM11 or PA on G2 it will be the same and it will look same as that ROM on Nexus 5 (since they have similar hardware). But you cant flash .zip file of Nexus 5 ROM on G2 because you will probably brick your phone.
TechGirl90
22nd July 2014, 05:33 PM   |  #4  

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godra

Thats not correct. If you flash CM11 or PA on G2 it will be the same and it will look same as that ROM on Nexus 5 (since they have similar hardware). But you cant flash .zip file of Nexus 5 ROM on G2 because you will probably brick your phone.

I'm well aware that CM11 and PA can use Google Now Launcher, and I'm aware that Paranoid Android is based on Cyanogenmod, and that their both AOSP based Roms, because I've tested both of these Custom Roms, I wasn't telling him to flash a zip file of the Nexus 5 Rom, because it will(not probably) brick his phone, because the Nexus 5 runs different(not by much) hardware compared to the G2.

What I quoted in my last post stating "its not turning into a nexus 5 UNTIL you can flash custom Roms that are compatible with your G2 aswell as being compatible with the Nexus 5." i was stating that he can flash a Custom Rom that makes your G2 look and act like you would have a Nexus 5, not that he can flash a Nexus 5 Rom, I just want you to understand my last statement towards his question and this one aswell.

Last edited by TechGirl90; 22nd July 2014 at 06:48 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd July 2014, 07:58 PM   |  #5  
Flag Mostar
Thanks Meter: 318

1,009 posts
More
I just thougt that your post was a little bit unclear to someone who is new to XDA, flashing and thoose stuff. Hope he will understand it now and not do anything wrong to brick his phone

EDIT: I know how to be a begginer (although I had Android devices for 3 years so far), G2 seems like kinda specific device. Loki bootloader, especially after nexus device is something completly strange, then thoose black and white lines... I had to spend few hours to read all stickies to understand some things.
Last edited by Godra; 22nd July 2014 at 08:01 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Godra For This Useful Post: [ View ]
TechGirl90
22nd July 2014, 08:00 PM   |  #6  

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godra

I just thougt that your post was a little bit unclear to someone who is new to XDA, flashing and thoose stuff. Hope he will understand it now and not do anything wrong to brick his phone

I agree, hope all goes well.

22nd July 2014, 10:05 PM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 4

28 posts
Thumbs up Thanks for clearing things up..
While not a total noob, I'm still learning. I've rooted several android devices.. HTC evo shift, 3d, sensation, nexus 7, 2x nexus 4 and B&N Nook HD+. Currently have a Nexus 4. I'm considering getting the G2 since it is very close in specs to the Nexus 5 but can be bought for about $100 less. Hence, my question. I realize that once you put a custom ROM on any device, it will look just like others' with that ROM but I was originally curious about being able to use Nexus 5 ROMs with the G2 since the specs are almost identical. My fear is that developer support for this device will wane, where support is constant with Nexus devices.

Thanks again for the help.
The Following User Says Thank You to wasabitobiko For This Useful Post: [ View ]
TechGirl90
22nd July 2014, 11:08 PM   |  #8  

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabitobiko

While not a total noob, I'm still learning. I've rooted several android devices.. HTC evo shift, 3d, sensation, nexus 7, 2x nexus 4 and B&N Nook HD+. Currently have a Nexus 4. I'm considering getting the G2 since it is very close in specs to the Nexus 5 but can be bought for about $100 less. Hence, my question. I realize that once you put a custom ROM on any device, it will look just like others' with that ROM but I was originally curious about being able to use Nexus 5 ROMs with the G2 since the specs are almost identical. My fear is that developer support for this device will wane, where support is constant with Nexus devices.

Thanks again for the help.

I personally don't think developer support for the LG G2 will wane, there's still developer support for the Galaxy S3, I'm guessing since the Nexus Line is aimed more for developers(seeing the Nexus Line is really Developer Based Phones), is why its so popular (besides the fact of it running pure stock android, and not having any custom android skins on top of it, and receiving updates quicker than any other non-nexus device) and it's support won't wither anytime soon, because they're so many developers out there that most likely have a nexus device and are testing apps and Roms on, I'm guessing.[emoji4][emoji4][emoji4]

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread