Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,174 Members 36,102 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] messages, or google hang out with crashing upon sending or receiving an s_m_s msg

Tip us?

takoateli
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] messages, or google hang out with crashing upon sending or receiving an s_m_s msg

thank you in advance. I have an LG g2 d802 which I purchased through Amazon. The phone was working perfectly in the US with AT&T. I then brought the phone to Venezuela where I tried using SIM cards from two different carriers. With both carriers I have the same problem. When sending or receiving an SMS message, whichever app I have set as the default app crashes with no way to send a report, just a dialog box saying the app crashed. I tried wiping the phone from the phone's settings user interface, as well as installing t w r p and wiping from that. I have tried 2 different firmwares for the 802 which I found on the internet, with different version numbers of the system, and still the same problem. Does anyone have any ideas of what I could still try at this point to get messaging working?

Thanks
Greg

takoateli
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
wow! No one has any suggestions? Anything would be appreciated!

wulsic
Old
(Last edited by wulsic; 20th August 2014 at 03:03 PM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 704
Can you logcat it maybe? Try to pull out your simcard, flash the right kk basebands flash the rom and reboot and reinsert the simcard again maybe it works normally then. I will think of some ideas and i will repost it here again.

Maybe you need to do some build.prop modifications to set the region or what. Does your phone says to which cellular network is connected?
Devices History
Htc Elf-Htc Google Nexus One-LG Optimus 2X-Samsung Galaxy S2-LG Nexus4

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
"The greatest ideas are the simplest." – William Golding
"Simplicity is the art of maximizing the amount of work not done." - Agile Manifesto
"Simplicity is the way a human/developer should think to easily solve problems." - Wulsic

My Work So far

takoateli
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
thank you so much! The phone has no sim card, and you can't pull the battery. I did install wildcat and I'm seeing a lot of errors relating to the telecommunications database not being available. Now I'm seeing things like 08-22 12:01:32.128 E/DatabaseUtils(1583): ¿at com.android.providers.telephony.MmsSmsProvider.get ThreadId(MmsSmsProvider.java:1332)

takoateli
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
thanks again for the reply. I believe the phone was originally from Singapore as it had SingTel apps on it. I have tried flashing a few stockroms from other regions but nothing has worked. I'm going to have to read up about the KKbuild and build prop as those are new terms to me.

takoateli
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Update - I tried using build prop editor to change the locale region from u_s to venezuela and it keeps default thing back to u_s. Maybe this is part of the problem? I did use the phone on a_t_&_t network before bring it to venezuela.

takoateli
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulsic View Post
Can you logcat it maybe? Try to pull out your simcard, flash the right kk basebands flash the rom and reboot and reinsert the simcard again maybe it works normally then. I will think of some ideas and i will repost it here again.

Maybe you need to do some build.prop modifications to set the region or what. Does your phone says to which cellular network is connected?
yes my phone does show the network it is connected to, and I can make calls just fine and I can even use the data connection. there are two carriers here in Venezuela for which I have SIM cards, with one of the carriers I am able to receive the carrier's SMS messages which show my remaining prepaid credit, but other messages from other sources crash the messaging app. With the other SIM card I have, even the messages from the carrier crash the messaging apps. So with one carrier it almost works.

I'm in a part of the country with very poor internet but in early September I will have good access and can download roms etc and can follow the instructions you gave me. Thank you! Greg

wulsic
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by takoateli View Post
yes my phone does show the network it is connected to, and I can make calls just fine and I can even use the data connection. there are two carriers here in Venezuela for which I have SIM cards, with one of the carriers I am able to receive the carrier's SMS messages which show my remaining prepaid credit, but other messages from other sources crash the messaging app. With the other SIM card I have, even the messages from the carrier crash the messaging apps. So with one carrier it almost works.

I'm in a part of the country with very poor internet but in early September I will have good access and can download roms etc and can follow the instructions you gave me. Thank you! Greg
Ahh alright, sorry for late reaction. I will try to make some research on it when i have free time again cause school starts again and i still have to finish android projects could you quote me if you have a response? cause then i won't forget this thread and i will get an notification about it.
Devices History

"Simplicity is the art of maximizing the amount of work not done." - Agile Manifesto
"Simplicity is the way a human/developer should think to easily solve problems." - Wulsic

My Work So far

Gemc666
Old
Thanks Meter 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by takoateli View Post
Update - I tried using build prop editor to change the locale region from u_s to venezuela and it keeps default thing back to u_s. Maybe this is part of the problem? I did use the phone on a_t_&_t network before bring it to venezuela.
i'm from venezuela too and had the same problem with the D800, download textra from the play store, make it your default SMS app, it's free, it works well and it will fix the problem
The Following User Says Thank You to Gemc666 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

wulsic
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemc666 View Post
i'm from venezuela too and had the same problem with the D800, download textra from the play store, make it your default SMS app, it's free, it works well and it will fix the problem
Nice to see other people also coming up with fixes i didnt thought about an 3rd party sms app yet ;D.
@takoateli could you post an full logcat? Then i could look into it maybe. Use for the time the textra app which Gemc has introduced. I hope that your problem is going to get solved soon
Devices History

My Work So far

The Following User Says Thank You to wulsic For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]