No registration required

[Q] Touchscreen Randomly Stopped Working

OP crashN2u

25th August 2014, 03:20 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 34

235 posts
More
Ok, so first thing's first. I've been researching this for a few days now before creating this post. The touchscreen issues I'm finding online, are similar to what I'm experiencing, but the solutions have already been done, or my phone is not responding to them. I'm making this thread to see if anyone else has experienced the same issues or has any new news before I a) return my phone to stock, b) replace the digitizer, or c) buy a new one or upgrade to the G3.

My G2 was rooted, but kept on stock ROM with only small tweaks here and there. After the latest update, I noticed my work G2 had much better reception, so I returned my phone to stock to download the update. After updating, I re-rooted the phone, this time, the only thing I changed was the keyboard which I replaced with the G3 keyboard. Everything was fine for months until about a month ago.

It started with not being able to pull down the notification shade on the right half. No biggie, but after a week or so, it got worse. While using instagram, I noticed that the confirm button was sporadically responsive. Sometimes it worked fine, other times it didn't work at all. It began to progressively get worse on an almost daily basis. I decided to see what was going on and enabled both input options in the developer options menu. I found that the entire right side, about 1/8" was not responding to touch, the area not covered by glass screen protector( i removed it later while trying to troubleshoot). The upper right area showed about a half inch block that wasn't responding (the area where the data ribbon is). I was ok with that as instagram was really the only thing I used being affected.

About a week ago, the mid left screen area started being errratic. It began to get worse and started to affect the front touch screen buttons ( the area where the other data ribbon is). I enabled the input options again and saw that I now had a good portion of my left side of the screen was unresponsive. Even though I didn't drop it, I thought maybe the data ribbons had come loose as those 2 areas are where they are. I opened and disassembled the phone and re-sat the connctions after inspecting them. I double-checked all the other connections and LDIs in case humidity was the culprit. Everything looked good. Didn't fix the problem.

I've had to set my phone to unlock by facial recognition to ensure I don't get locked out, and changed my pin to use numbers not affected. I'm going to replace the digitizer, but wanted to see if anyone else had the same issue, or knew if it was, indeed, a software issue before I spend $75 (I will be replacing the digitizer and LCD to get it working sooner rather than risk damaging the LCD while replacing the digitizer and having to wait another week). I don't want to send it in to LG because I bought it on ebay and have no proof of purchase for warranty, and I want it working sooner.

One thing I noticed that may help with diagnosing, the screen now looks different when off. Before, in direct sunlight, you could see the dotted matrix from the digitizer, and that was it. Now, I can see the retangular pattern across the entire screen. I checked my work G2 which I just received a few months ago and the rectangular pattern is only visible on the edges of the screen, the center is black with only the dotted matrix visible. Keep in mind, this is in direct sunlight. In shade, the rectangles are visible on both.

I'm hoping it's a software issue, but I'm wondering if the digitizer is starting to separate from the LCD. I don't see any acutal separation though.

Thanks for reading the book, and for any feedback. Also, because it will probably come up, I want to avoid upgrading if I can because the G3 is just a little too big.
29th August 2014, 09:06 PM   |  #2  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 34

235 posts
More
I restored the phone to stock with the most up to date software. Still doesn't work. It appears to be a hardware issue. I really thought it was software because the dead spots word for a split second after turning on the phone. Oh well. Guess I'm going to order a new digitizer or LCD combo.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread