Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,778 Members 52,254 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

D850 qi charging mod

Tip us?

Pilz
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 129
I was thinking, is it possible to modify the software via xposed to trigger wirelessly charging at a different voltage to possibly enable qi. I know there is a hardware limitation, however, it was just a thought. If not is it possible to modify a qi could to make it work for power mat since they are cheaper and easier to get a hold of? I still have my qi back she figured I might as well try something with it.

Sent from my LG-D850 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Skizzy034
Old
Thanks Meter 898
I thought AT&T had QI charging physically disabled hardware wise?
*NOTE* I'll never recommend using a toolkit to root your device because if you don't know how to root your phone manually, you shouldn't be rooting your phone. -KidCarter93

My Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/sgutowski77

Pilz
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skizzy034 View Post
I thought AT&T had QI charging physically disabled hardware wise?
They did, but I'm curious about the differences in the coils. I'll have to do some research and see if it's possible to make a qi coil into a PWA one

sailindawg
Old
(Last edited by sailindawg; 21st July 2014 at 06:26 PM.)
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilz View Post
They did, but I'm curious about the differences in the coils. I'll have to do some research and see if it's possible to make a qi coil into a PWA one

My understanding is that PMA charges at something like 18 volts, while Qi charges at 5 volts.

There have been some good articles on the Internet regarding this. Read here. Explains things pretty clearly.

Regarding the G3, LG did not use Qi enabled hardware at AT&T's request. The only Qi solution for the AT&T G3 is one of the USB recievers that fits under a case. If AT&T had any business sense, they'd be giving the PMA chargers away with every G3 purchase like they did with my wife's ASUS Padfone X.

Forest007
Old
(Last edited by Forest007; 22nd July 2014 at 01:58 AM.)
Thanks Meter 6
I'm going to purchase a black cover with no Qi coil from Ebay and put a Qi coil in it.

dwd3885
Old
Thanks Meter 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest007 View Post
I'm going to purchase a black cover with no Qi coil from Ebay and put a Qi coil in it.
won't work on AT&T phone.

I Bought the Verizon Wireless Charging Folio and no go on the AT&T G3.

awtryau89
Old
Thanks Meter 56
I just wanted to update this thread. I have started posting over in the AT&T forums but I had an interesting development today. Below is what I posted over there:

Just as an FYI, I just received my Spigen Slim Armor. I love the case but it will not allow PMA wireless charging. I have the coil in my OEM backplate and it charges fine without the case, fine with just the TPU portion of the case but when adding the hardcover layer, it will not charge. If you are doing this mod, it looks like we will need to stick with TPU cases and nothing with a thicker cover. I also tested my Spigen slim snap on case just like the one above and it will charge but its very finicky on placement. I have noticed that the charger does not activate unless it has the magnetic pull. This makes me wonder if a Qi coil would work for PMA if you used the magnetic disc to activate it. I am pretty happy with my setup now but maybe someone out there will want to try this.

I really think this magnetic disc may be a key to getting our phones to work with a Qi coil. I am not suggesting our phones will work with a Qi charger but just use the Qi coil to charge via PMA if you have a magnetic disc to activate it. By testing the 2 cases above, The Slim Armor will not work and I cannot feel any magnetic pull when placing it down on the pad. When I take off the hardcover, I can feel the magnet and it works. The Spigen Slim case is a hardcover as well and it reduces the magnetic pull a bunch. If I slide it off the center even slightly the charging pad will immediately quit charging. This tells me that the magnet is the key. Now I wish I had not sent the Qi charging back to the eBay seller and could try this with a magnet.

I saw in the wireless sticker thread where someone had ordered a 5 pack of these sticker and was selling them. I missed out on his deal but if anyone else decides to order the 5 pack, I will purchase one to try this mod. I am not going to do it now as I am happy with my current situation but I am willing to test if no one else decides to.

iazybandit
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by awtryau89 View Post
I just wanted to update this thread. I have started posting over in the AT&T forums but I had an interesting development today. Below is what I posted over there:

Just as an FYI, I just received my Spigen Slim Armor. I love the case but it will not allow PMA wireless charging. I have the coil in my OEM backplate and it charges fine without the case, fine with just the TPU portion of the case but when adding the hardcover layer, it will not charge. If you are doing this mod, it looks like we will need to stick with TPU cases and nothing with a thicker cover. I also tested my Spigen slim snap on case just like the one above and it will charge but its very finicky on placement. I have noticed that the charger does not activate unless it has the magnetic pull. This makes me wonder if a Qi coil would work for PMA if you used the magnetic disc to activate it. I am pretty happy with my setup now but maybe someone out there will want to try this.

I really think this magnetic disc may be a key to getting our phones to work with a Qi coil. I am not suggesting our phones will work with a Qi charger but just use the Qi coil to charge via PMA if you have a magnetic disc to activate it. By testing the 2 cases above, The Slim Armor will not work and I cannot feel any magnetic pull when placing it down on the pad. When I take off the hardcover, I can feel the magnet and it works. The Spigen Slim case is a hardcover as well and it reduces the magnetic pull a bunch. If I slide it off the center even slightly the charging pad will immediately quit charging. This tells me that the magnet is the key. Now I wish I had not sent the Qi charging back to the eBay seller and could try this with a magnet.

I saw in the wireless sticker thread where someone had ordered a 5 pack of these sticker and was selling them. I missed out on his deal but if anyone else decides to order the 5 pack, I will purchase one to try this mod. I am not going to do it now as I am happy with my current situation but I am willing to test if no one else decides to.
Even though I sold out, I made a post with a possible Group Buy. It's not definite but I'm trying to get a feeler to see how much interest there is for the stickers to help the community. I don't want to order 100 of these and be stuck with them for months or end up not selling anymore because other options are available. - http://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-g...icker-t2827738