D850 qi charging mod

Search This thread

Pilz

Dec 1, 2013
Texas
Well after a little more research, the magnet is in the charging pad and the disc in the back of the coil is just a piece of metal. So I was thinking about this but it doesn't help. Ultimately if I get a Qi charging coil and try this, I will just use a small piece of some sort of lightweight metal.

I have a qi back but no PWA charger or I would gladly try this myself.

sailindawg

May 13, 2012
Hey guys,

My wife has an Asus Padfone X. It came out of the box PMA ready. AT&T threw in the Duracell charging mat for free like they should be doing with the G3. I bought the padfone at a corporate store.

My Galaxy S3 has a Qi back plate on it. When I put the S3 onto the PMA charging pad, nothing happens. When I put a strip of metal onto the pad to mimic the metal in the padfone and put the S3 onto the pad, nothing happens.

Seems to me that the magnets in the PMA charging pad are there to only help center the device into the charging coil, nothing more. If I place the padfone onto the charging pad slowly, I can feel the slight magnetic pull from the pad.

YMMV. Be nice to see something magical happen with the G3 under the same conditions, but I'm doubtful. Looking at the padfone pma reciever, it's very smooth like a Qi reciever. There is no metal disk in the middle of it.

Be great if the 3rd party manufacturers started selling pma recievers like they do with Qi, but that took about year for the Qi recievers after they were initially introduced.

I think the best solution at the moment is to do what the HTC M8 users are doing. Slipping a USB Qi reciever under the case to add wireless charging. It's cheap & seems to work with cases like Spigen Slim Armor. And it's available now!

Last edited:

awtryau89

Nov 25, 2008
Hey guys,

My wife has an Asus Padfone X. It came out of the box PMA ready. AT&T threw in the Duracell charging mat for free like they should be doing with the G3. I bought the padfone at a corporate store.

My Galaxy S3 has a Qi back plate on it. When I put the S3 onto the PMA charging pad, nothing happens. When I put a strip of metal onto the pad to mimic the metal in the padfone and put the S3 onto the pad, nothing happens.

Seems to me that the magnets in the PMA charging pad are there to only help center the device into the charging coil, nothing more. If I place the padfone onto the charging pad slowly, I can feel the slight magnetic pull from the pad.

YMMV. Be nice to see something magical happen with the G3 under the same conditions, but I'm doubtful. Looking at the padfone pma reciever, it's very smooth like a Qi reciever. There is no metal disk in the middle of it.

Be great if the 3rd party manufacturers started selling pma recievers like they do with Qi, but that took about year for the Qi recievers after they were initially introduced.

I think the best solution at the moment is to do what the HTC M8 users are doing. Slipping a USB Qi reciever under the case to add wireless charging. It's cheap & seems to work with cases like Spigen Slim Armor. And it's available now!

What you are seeing is correct. I have been trying to make sure I have the thinnest soltion under my OEM back and adding the PMA coil to it makes it very hard to snap shut. So yesterday I decided to take the full sticker apart. The sticker is composed of the charging/NFC coil layer. It is transparent and thin. Its sticks directly to the case. Underneath that layer is a small disc used for the magnet. Laying on top of the coil layer is a decently thick layer of shielding. It seems to be a pliable metal. Then on top of that is the top coating of very thin plastic. To reduce the thickness, I took the shielding layer out. The case back fit much better. Then when I put it back on the charger it wouldn't charge. I put the layer back in and it charges. So all of these things work in conjunction somehow. Finally I did cut a small circle out of the shielding for the magnet disc and this reduced the thickness perfectly and the phone still charges fine. Ultimately someone will figure all this out and how it all works together. I stillfind it hard to believe though that we do not have Chinese mfgs making these PMA stickers and cards yet.

Reactions: sailindawg

Pilz

Dec 1, 2013
Texas
What you are seeing is correct. I have been trying to make sure I have the thinnest soltion under my OEM back and adding the PMA coil to it makes it very hard to snap shut. So yesterday I decided to take the full sticker apart. The sticker is composed of the charging/NFC coil layer. It is transparent and thin. Its sticks directly to the case. Underneath that layer is a small disc used for the magnet. Laying on top of the coil layer is a decently thick layer of shielding. It seems to be a pliable metal. Then on top of that is the top coating of very thin plastic. To reduce the thickness, I took the shielding layer out. The case back fit much better. Then when I put it back on the charger it wouldn't charge. I put the layer back in and it charges. So all of these things work in conjunction somehow. Finally I did cut a small circle out of the shielding for the magnet disc and this reduced the thickness perfectly and the phone still charges fine. Ultimately someone will figure all this out and how it all works together. I stillfind it hard to believe though that we do not have Chinese mfgs making these PMA stickers and cards yet.

I think it comes down to demand. The D850 is the only one with PMA so companies may not find it profitable to make PMA coils for it. I'm waiting to see what happens before I butcher a quick circle case for $60 because that's a big price to pay on top of the PMA charger.

Sent from my LG-D850 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

sailindawg

May 13, 2012
+1 for the last two posts. If I get this phone, I will initially be going with the USB Qi reciever & a Spigen case. My car mount, home & work charging pads are all Qi at the moment. Don't mind switching standards if it makes sense. Of all these wireless methods, I like the idea of magnetic resonance the best, but it is still to new & cutting edge to be commercially available.

Last edited:

torqu3e

Dec 20, 2010
Bay area.
Some more technical details between the Qi and powermat (PMA) wireless charging standards...

wireless+charging+blog+tables_Nov+2012.jpg

When it comes to Qi and PMA, they both use inductive charging, but the differences are that Qi’s wavelength is 100-205kHz and PMA’s is 277-357kHz. Otherwise, the method itself is the same. The rest of the differences have to do with the driving forces behind each standard.

For those interested, you may want to read these

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Wire...does-it-all-mean-and-who-will-prevail_id57371
http://www.chipworks.com/en/technic...inside-the-powermat-wireless-charging-system/

Can someone with a multimeter measure the output voltage off the Qi charging back cover? Would also like to know which pin receives positive vs negative to see if one can get POS ATT D850 to detect charge, might be able to hack some way around to using the Qi charger.

If someone in the bay area is willing to let me borrow a Qi back and charger for about half a day even that would do.

a_akash

Jul 23, 2013
Sayreville
I am confused, Can someone help ...noob to wireless charging

Ok so i have a LG G3 previously had a g2 Both from ATT g2 didnt have wireless charging so i didnt care much but ATT G3 does. So my question is to get wireless charging on my LG G3 att i need to get a qi charging back from ebay..rip the pad of the back and attach it to my (current ATT back ) to get the QI charging working. If not can i simply get a quick circle case. Rip the front cover off so I have the PMA charging back without the annoying quick circle case. Please correct me if i am wrong.

xryousukex

May 25, 2010
Ok so i have a LG G3 previously had a g2 Both from ATT g2 didnt have wireless charging so i didnt care much but ATT G3 does. So my question is to get wireless charging on my LG G3 att i need to get a qi charging back from ebay..rip the pad of the back and attach it to my (current ATT back ) to get the QI charging working. If not can i simply get a quick circle case. Rip the front cover off so I have the PMA charging back without the annoying quick circle case. Please correct me if i am wrong.

You canNOT use any sort of QI on the ATT LG G3 phone. It something related to the hardware so if you stick on qi sticker and try to use a qi charger it won't work.

You will need a PMA charger and a PMA sticker that seems to only come with the at&t circle case sold by them.

Reactions: a_akash

iazybandit

Jul 21, 2014
www.1kindphotography.com
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=151363848989

They claim it works as a wireless charging back with PMA for ATT.
Read the auction CAREFULLY. Their listing is confusing but look at what I underlined.

***This item is physically compatible with the AT&T model but the wireless charging antenna is not relevant for the phone. If your phone is AT&T, this battery door would not hinder your wireless PMA charging. ***

The next sentence says it would not hinder wireless PMA charging but the picture doesn't even show the 4 pins required for wireless charging.

I would avoid them at all cost. People have had issues with seller and receiving wrong item. Either way, none of these will work with PMA.

Reactions: a_akash

sailindawg

May 13, 2012
The only Qi solution for the AT&T G3 is the USB reciever sticker that fits under a case. Not a bad solution, but you give up the USB port, if it matters. Be nice to see more pma backs come out or just the pma reciever stickers. Maybe a time thing?

iazybandit

Jul 21, 2014
www.1kindphotography.com
Do you have a link for one of the qi receiver sticks that works for att

Sent from my LG-D850 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
AT&T does not use Qi. They use PMA (Powermat). There are no compatible stickers available. The only option or mod that I can think of is buy a wireless charging cover from AT&T which costs about $60. Rip off the sticker and put it on the battery door.

Other option is buy a Universal Qi Receiver. It's like the sticker but it requires you to plug the thin receiver USB cable into the USB port on the phone in order to charge via Qi.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trk..._nkw=qi+universal+receiver&_sacat=0&_from=R40

a_akash

Jul 23, 2013
Sayreville
sounds good

AT&T does not use Qi. They use PMA (Powermat). There are no compatible stickers available. The only option or mod that I can think of is buy a wireless charging cover from AT&T which costs about $60. Rip off the sticker and put it on the battery door.

Other option is buy a Universal Qi Receiver. It's like the sticker but it requires you to plug the thin receiver USB cable into the USB port on the phone in order to charge via Qi.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trk..._nkw=qi+universal+receiver&_sacat=0&_from=R40

i dont want to loose my usb port.. but for now its a good alternative until i can get a pma back case ready to attach and no ripping needed.

Thanks.

mixxxk

Nov 23, 2011

I tried the usb qi receiver. It did work, however it charged super slow. And it fit inside the case I was using so it was hidden well. Then I got the folio case. Instead of ripping out the coils, I used my dremel and sanded down the plastic until it fit like the original. It didn't need to be perfect as I was going to put a case on it anyway. It fit quite well, charged no problem. Then I put my case on. No dice. It would not charge at all. I'm paranoid about a phone without a case, always have been. Hopefully i can find a bumper case out there and just get a tempered screen protector.

sailindawg

May 13, 2012
Sounds like you removed the flip cover from the QC foilio case? How difficult was it?

Can you put some pictures up of how the folio case back looked after dremmeling?

What case did you try putting the dremmeled case back into?

Last edited:

mixxxk

Nov 23, 2011
Sounds like you removed the flip cover from the QC foilio case? How difficult was it?

Can you put some pictures up of how the folio case back looked after dremmeling?

What case did you try putting the dremmeled case back into?

i was using an otterbox defender, but it wouldnt charge thru the case. however the back folio case dremels down and snaps right into place. if u decide to dremel, just follow the snaps, dremel down to right before the snaps.
so i ordered this off ebay and a tempered glass screen protector, so hopefully this will work .

Attachments

• WP_20140801_22_32_53_Pro_opt.jpg
    WP_20140801_22_32_53_Pro_opt.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 215

sailindawg

May 13, 2012
I think I get what you see dremmeled , you simply dremmeled the case edge before the snap to lower the side closer to the snap?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    e6ybapem.jpg
    Ok here's the finished product - the trickiest part was lining up with the phone itself so the charging works.
    I don't think he's intending to sell them.
    If you look at this other item (same seller), you'll see it's only $40 but he's removed D850 from the title, since that model is only compatible with PMA:
    Item # 151340368484
    (can't post a link until I've posted 10 times, sorry)

I can now CONFIRM that this eBay cover DOES WORK ON TMo D851 (Qi charging)! It is white, not black, but it works so all is good. Woo Hoo!
    as promised:
    1. looks like there is no att branding on the case after all.

2. i modified the coil and used the original metal disc because of a stronger magnetic grasp to the base. I basically removed all layers including the thicker lead sheet layer to compensate for the thickness of the disc.

3. applied a layer of thin vinyl to cover the coil and disc, Like the factory version.

this mod does not add any bulging, and the stock back case sits flush like it came out of the box.

hope this helps some people out.:victory:
    let us know i am very interested

Ok guys heard back from LG. ATT is the only US carrier to support powermat. The reason LG could not implement qi charging on D850 is because ATT did not certify it. The D850 has a hardware component that communicates with the wireless charging receiver. Unfortunately the one in D850 is built for the powermat. In short guys, to enable qi on D850 you would likely need to change the hardware element within the phone itself.

Note from LG

In conclusion due to the fact that AT&T doesn’t support QI standard that is why LG didn’t certify it. That being said the other cases for Tmo, VZW, and SPR*does*support the QI standard. Unfortunately, due to the fact that AT&T G3 is missing the component that allows the QI charging you will be unable to purchase the case for the other carrier’s for this device.

Also attached you will find the Quick Circle Case Spec sheet which will give you a little bit more information about the case

if you ever need any more information or need assistance with your device please feel free to email me or call and ask for me

Sent from my LG-E988 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    I can say for sure its not the pins. They line up perfectly. The auction does not say Qi anywhere in the description. I think this is PMA. I will know later as I am going to purchase a PMA at Walmart or Staples so I can test.