Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,152 Members 53,941 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

D850 qi charging mod

Tip us?

Pilz
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by awtryau89 View Post
Well after a little more research, the magnet is in the charging pad and the disc in the back of the coil is just a piece of metal. So I was thinking about this but it doesn't help. Ultimately if I get a Qi charging coil and try this, I will just use a small piece of some sort of lightweight metal.
I have a qi back but no PWA charger or I would gladly try this myself.

sailindawg
Old
(Last edited by sailindawg; 26th July 2014 at 02:23 PM.)
Thanks Meter 10
Hey guys,

My wife has an Asus Padfone X. It came out of the box PMA ready. AT&T threw in the Duracell charging mat for free like they should be doing with the G3. I bought the padfone at a corporate store.

My Galaxy S3 has a Qi back plate on it. When I put the S3 onto the PMA charging pad, nothing happens. When I put a strip of metal onto the pad to mimic the metal in the padfone and put the S3 onto the pad, nothing happens.

Seems to me that the magnets in the PMA charging pad are there to only help center the device into the charging coil, nothing more. If I place the padfone onto the charging pad slowly, I can feel the slight magnetic pull from the pad.

YMMV. Be nice to see something magical happen with the G3 under the same conditions, but I'm doubtful. Looking at the padfone pma reciever, it's very smooth like a Qi reciever. There is no metal disk in the middle of it.

Be great if the 3rd party manufacturers started selling pma recievers like they do with Qi, but that took about year for the Qi recievers after they were initially introduced.

I think the best solution at the moment is to do what the HTC M8 users are doing. Slipping a USB Qi reciever under the case to add wireless charging. It's cheap & seems to work with cases like Spigen Slim Armor. And it's available now!

awtryau89
Old
Thanks Meter 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailindawg View Post
Hey guys,

My wife has an Asus Padfone X. It came out of the box PMA ready. AT&T threw in the Duracell charging mat for free like they should be doing with the G3. I bought the padfone at a corporate store.

My Galaxy S3 has a Qi back plate on it. When I put the S3 onto the PMA charging pad, nothing happens. When I put a strip of metal onto the pad to mimic the metal in the padfone and put the S3 onto the pad, nothing happens.

Seems to me that the magnets in the PMA charging pad are there to only help center the device into the charging coil, nothing more. If I place the padfone onto the charging pad slowly, I can feel the slight magnetic pull from the pad.

YMMV. Be nice to see something magical happen with the G3 under the same conditions, but I'm doubtful. Looking at the padfone pma reciever, it's very smooth like a Qi reciever. There is no metal disk in the middle of it.

Be great if the 3rd party manufacturers started selling pma recievers like they do with Qi, but that took about year for the Qi recievers after they were initially introduced.

I think the best solution at the moment is to do what the HTC M8 users are doing. Slipping a USB Qi reciever under the case to add wireless charging. It's cheap & seems to work with cases like Spigen Slim Armor. And it's available now!
What you are seeing is correct. I have been trying to make sure I have the thinnest soltion under my OEM back and adding the PMA coil to it makes it very hard to snap shut. So yesterday I decided to take the full sticker apart. The sticker is composed of the charging/NFC coil layer. It is transparent and thin. Its sticks directly to the case. Underneath that layer is a small disc used for the magnet. Laying on top of the coil layer is a decently thick layer of shielding. It seems to be a pliable metal. Then on top of that is the top coating of very thin plastic. To reduce the thickness, I took the shielding layer out. The case back fit much better. Then when I put it back on the charger it wouldn't charge. I put the layer back in and it charges. So all of these things work in conjunction somehow. Finally I did cut a small circle out of the shielding for the magnet disc and this reduced the thickness perfectly and the phone still charges fine. Ultimately someone will figure all this out and how it all works together. I stillfind it hard to believe though that we do not have Chinese mfgs making these PMA stickers and cards yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to awtryau89 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Pilz
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by awtryau89 View Post
What you are seeing is correct. I have been trying to make sure I have the thinnest soltion under my OEM back and adding the PMA coil to it makes it very hard to snap shut. So yesterday I decided to take the full sticker apart. The sticker is composed of the charging/NFC coil layer. It is transparent and thin. Its sticks directly to the case. Underneath that layer is a small disc used for the magnet. Laying on top of the coil layer is a decently thick layer of shielding. It seems to be a pliable metal. Then on top of that is the top coating of very thin plastic. To reduce the thickness, I took the shielding layer out. The case back fit much better. Then when I put it back on the charger it wouldn't charge. I put the layer back in and it charges. So all of these things work in conjunction somehow. Finally I did cut a small circle out of the shielding for the magnet disc and this reduced the thickness perfectly and the phone still charges fine. Ultimately someone will figure all this out and how it all works together. I stillfind it hard to believe though that we do not have Chinese mfgs making these PMA stickers and cards yet.
I think it comes down to demand. The D850 is the only one with PMA so companies may not find it profitable to make PMA coils for it. I'm waiting to see what happens before I butcher a quick circle case for $60 because that's a big price to pay on top of the PMA charger.

Sent from my LG-D850 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to Pilz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sailindawg
Old
(Last edited by sailindawg; 27th July 2014 at 11:35 PM.)
Thanks Meter 10
+1 for the last two posts. If I get this phone, I will initially be going with the USB Qi reciever & a Spigen case. My car mount, home & work charging pads are all Qi at the moment. Don't mind switching standards if it makes sense. Of all these wireless methods, I like the idea of magnetic resonance the best, but it is still to new & cutting edge to be commercially available.

torqu3e
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Some more technical details between the Qi and powermat (PMA) wireless charging standards...

When it comes to Qi and PMA, they both use inductive charging, but the differences are that Qi’s wavelength is 100-205kHz and PMA’s is 277-357kHz. Otherwise, the method itself is the same. The rest of the differences have to do with the driving forces behind each standard.

For those interested, you may want to read these

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Wirel...revail_id57371
http://www.chipworks.com/en/technica...arging-system/

Can someone with a multimeter measure the output voltage off the Qi charging back cover? Would also like to know which pin receives positive vs negative to see if one can get POS ATT D850 to detect charge, might be able to hack some way around to using the Qi charger.

If someone in the bay area is willing to let me borrow a Qi back and charger for about half a day even that would do.
Screens in order of size:
Ngage, E71, HTC G1, Dell Streak, GT-N7000, LG G3, Ainol Novo 7 Tornado, iPad Air, Eee PC, MBP Retina 15, 2 x S2409W, P50VT20D, LG HX300G.
The Following User Says Thank You to torqu3e For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

a_akash
Old
Thanks Meter 1

DONATE TO ME
Default I am confused, Can someone help ...noob to wireless charging

Ok so i have a LG G3 previously had a g2 Both from ATT g2 didnt have wireless charging so i didnt care much but ATT G3 does. So my question is to get wireless charging on my LG G3 att i need to get a qi charging back from ebay..rip the pad of the back and attach it to my (current ATT back ) to get the QI charging working. If not can i simply get a quick circle case. Rip the front cover off so I have the PMA charging back without the annoying quick circle case. Please correct me if i am wrong.

xryousukex
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_akash View Post
Ok so i have a LG G3 previously had a g2 Both from ATT g2 didnt have wireless charging so i didnt care much but ATT G3 does. So my question is to get wireless charging on my LG G3 att i need to get a qi charging back from ebay..rip the pad of the back and attach it to my (current ATT back ) to get the QI charging working. If not can i simply get a quick circle case. Rip the front cover off so I have the PMA charging back without the annoying quick circle case. Please correct me if i am wrong.
You canNOT use any sort of QI on the ATT LG G3 phone. It something related to the hardware so if you stick on qi sticker and try to use a qi charger it won't work.

You will need a PMA charger and a PMA sticker that seems to only come with the at&t circle case sold by them.
The Following User Says Thank You to xryousukex For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

a_akash
Old
Thanks Meter 1

DONATE TO ME
Default ATT wireless charging back without quick circle case..PMA tho.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=151363848989

They claim it works as a wireless charging back with PMA for ATT.

iazybandit
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_akash View Post
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=151363848989

They claim it works as a wireless charging back with PMA for ATT.
Read the auction CAREFULLY. Their listing is confusing but look at what I underlined.

***This item is physically compatible with the AT&T model but the wireless charging antenna is not relevant for the phone. If your phone is AT&T, this battery door would not hinder your wireless PMA charging. ***

The next sentence says it would not hinder wireless PMA charging but the picture doesn't even show the 4 pins required for wireless charging.

I would avoid them at all cost. People have had issues with seller and receiving wrong item. Either way, none of these will work with PMA.

The Following User Says Thank You to iazybandit For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]