Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,757 Members 37,176 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

D850 qi charging mod

Tip us?

sailindawg
Old
Thanks Meter 13
If one has good soldering skills

inaudible101
Old
Thanks Meter 48
So I'll have to appologize for my crap soldering skills, but here's my progress so fay.

I was able to try about five different soldering routes for the ground, but for some reason I can not get it to charge with the plastic piece on that covers the back of the USB port. With the bottom part off I am able to charge at USB speeds without a problem. I worked on this for a few hours this morning and am done for now. I might take another crack at it in a few days. I'll update you guys if I have and success and if I get it all working reliably I'll create a new thread and post everything I had to do.

Here's an album of my really crappy looking soldering job. USB port functions completely without any issues.
http://imgur.com/a/xnjbu
The Following User Says Thank You to inaudible101 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sailindawg
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Nice pics! That's a better solder job than I could do! Hope you get it figured out.

pr0cl1v1ty
Old
(Last edited by pr0cl1v1ty; 15th September 2014 at 11:26 PM.)
Thanks Meter 12
what is the tape thing with 2 copper wires for? I thought it was for wireless charging, is it like NFC?

New Developer here for LG G3 AT&T

If you like my work, buy me a beer.
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...=BFH4G98VYLDXA

pluginre
Old
Thanks Meter 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0cl1v1ty View Post
what is the tape thing with 2 copper wires for? I thought it was for wireless charging, is it like NFC?

Yes that is for the NFC

Sent from my LG-D851 using XDA Free mobile app

oblivinated
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default Just Buy T-Mobile LG G3

Or you guys could just buy the T-Mobile version and get a back with wireless charging... or better yet just by the sticker that has been going around for T-Mobile G3s.

Pilz
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by oblivinated View Post
Or you guys could just buy the T-Mobile version and get a back with wireless charging... or better yet just by the sticker that has been going around for T-Mobile G3s.
That's not a practical solution for most people. Hopefully there will be some form of a solution for everyone else.

iPhone 3GS
iPad 1
iPhone 4
Samsung Galaxy S3 (Blue)
Kindle Fire
Samsung Note 3 (Black)
LG G-Pad 8.3 (White)
LG G3 F400S (Black)

Lg G3 D850 (Black)
LG G3 F460S (Gold)
Nexus 7 (2013) (Black)

oblivinated
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilz View Post
That's not a practical solution for most people. Hopefully there will be some form of a solution for everyone else.
I know... but AT&T screwed us over already by insisting that the G3s they carry are only compatible with the PMA standard. At this point, there really is no practical solution.

Pilz
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by oblivinated View Post
I know... but AT&T screwed us over already by insisting that the G3s they carry are only compatible with the PMA standard. At this point, there really is no practical solution.
I agree Att did screw people with that. That's why I have a G3 Cat 6 and the D850. Not everyone can just go get another phone for many reasons. I think that a solution is possible but it will entail a PMA sticker that will fit like the qi. That's the best case scenario this point.

iPhone 3GS
iPad 1
iPhone 4
Samsung Galaxy S3 (Blue)
Kindle Fire
Samsung Note 3 (Black)
LG G-Pad 8.3 (White)
LG G3 F400S (Black)

Lg G3 D850 (Black)
LG G3 F460S (Gold)
Nexus 7 (2013) (Black)

The Following User Says Thank You to Pilz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]