[GUIDE][ROOT][BUMP][TWRP] ImageprepGUI: Auto-script GUI Root+Bump+TWRP for LG G3

Search This thread

ch4dwick

Aug 20, 2012
Metro Manila
I understand you can't use dual sim features on third party roms but does using dual sim apps on Play enable you to access those capabilities?

gelroyliao

Jun 5, 2013
Quezon City
OnePlus 9 Pro
Kabayan, Topet! You just did a great job there buddy! You really are a big of a help

I just wanted to asked before doing this steps. I actually, followed you're video tutorial for downgrading to 10D and rooted it but unfortunately I am not receiving any OTA update to 10F unless I update thru LG PC. Can I still do this steps without updating to 10F? Thank you again kabayan!:good:

Reactions: topet2k12001

topet2k12001

Apr 22, 2013
Metro Manila
Responses 03.09.2015

Hi Friends,

Here's what I'll do: I'll do my best to check this thread at least once a day, browse through the posts, and then multi-quote them and provide responses whenever I can. So let's start. :)

I'm expecting someone to have actually done it in the future. I'd do it myself but I'm still busy at the moment to be actually redoing stuff from scratch if I fail to succeed in flashing CM12 on the D858HK. Oh, well, maybe later this year. :)

I understand you can't use dual sim features on third party roms but does using dual sim apps on Play enable you to access those capabilities?

Hi @ch4dwick,

I was supposed to edit my initial response to you to provide an update, but I'll just put it here.

So I flashed Euphoria OS 1.0 for the D855 (since the D855 is an international variant). Not sure but I think Euphoria is CM12-based (correct me if I'm wrong). Result: brick! Hahaha! As in full brick and can't even be flashed via the LG Flash Tool. Good thing I made a full system backup via TWRP (so this is a reminder to everyone - back up your system via TWRP first before doing anything adventurous!) and I was able to restore.

I did ask the OP of Euphoria OS 1.0 to add the D858HK as a supported variant. Unfortunately the answer is "no" because (as per the OP) the D858HK variant does not support CM12. Having said that, I did not explore/dwell into looking further as far as dual-SIM apps from the Play Store.

Maybe it will be possible by building/compiling CM from source for our D858HK. That's actually what I'm reading/learning about (as I mentioned in the first post that I am not a developer by profession). If someone with skills can do it, then that would be awesome.

Wow, very much appreciate the time and effort you put not only into answering my question but also all the other ones! I'm almost positive I did a full factory reset using the LG flash tool ( tot dll) last week when I attempted to flash the zips, but I will try it again and see if it works. I believe your response labeled number 2 is what is holding me back. As of right now I have no idea what bumping TWRP means, therefore I will look into it further and attempt the process again after I understand what you mean by number 2?

Hi @tmjm28,

Thank you as well. :) You don't have to do the "bumping" of TWRP; I already did it for D858HK users. Just go back to the tutorial under the "Requirements" section. I have provided a link to download the "bump'd" TWRP. Although for your situation I would suggest starting all over because at this point, I can't trace what you did in the week prior.

just finished upgrading, and its work.. thanks dude for your hard work, really appreciate.....

but still confuse, what is sharpening mod for? and whats the best value number? sorry for my stupidity, just newbie in smartphone...

thanks again, and keep up the good work.

Hi @ReeeN,

Allegedly, the LG G3 is "too sharp" so it creates a "ghosting" effect on text. So a developer created a script to fix that and put it up as a flashable zip (hence, we have the Sharpening Mod Script). Some users can't tell the difference though, so if it doesn't affect you then it doesn't matter. :)

The reason why I advise everyone to flash the Sharpening Mod Script is because it also contains another script that will "unlock" ("bump") the boot.img. This is a very important step for keeping root on Android Lollipop, as well as keeping TWRP.

For the selection: higher value = sharper display. I usually select zero (0) for "no sharpening".

Wow thanks for this howto, I can confirm this worked on my D852G! Everything looks good so far except apps are slow to download on the play store. I have a feeling that clearing google play services data would probably help though.

Hi @zurny,

Thanks for confirming your LG G3 variant. :) I will update the First Post.

Yup, as far as download speed, I haven't investigated it because I did not experience the problem. Try to isolate the easiest causes first (i.e. your Internet quality/speed). One typical way that I would do it is to switch to another wifi, or disable wifi and use 3G/4G/LTE and see if it makes a difference. Only then will I move further in troubleshooting such as clearing cache, etc.

I just wanted to asked before doing this steps. I actually, followed you're video tutorial for downgrading to 10D and rooted it but unfortunately I am not receiving any OTA update to 10F unless I update thru LG PC. Can I still do this steps without updating to 10F? Thank you again kabayan!:good:

Hi @gelroyliao,

Yes, you can update to Lollipop directly from Kitkat version 10F. I tried that too and it worked (which reminds me, I have to update the tutorial). You're welcome, kabayan. :)

Last edited:

m.swastik

Feb 19, 2011
Mumbai
Hi, will this work on other LG phones for which official Lollipop KDZ has been released?
I have LG L90 official lollipop firmware, desperately want to root it, but till now nothing seems to work.

ReeeN

Oct 12, 2011
Hi @ReeeN,

Allegedly, the LG G3 is "too sharp" so it creates a "ghosting" effect on text. So a developer created a script to fix that and put it up as a flashable zip (hence, we have the Sharpening Mod Script). Some users can't tell the difference though, so if it doesn't affect you then it doesn't matter. :)

The reason why I advise everyone to flash the Sharpening Mod Script is because it also contains another script that will "unlock" ("bump") the boot.img. This is a very important step for keeping root on Android Lollipop, as well as keeping TWRP.

For the selection: higher value = sharper display. I usually select zero (0) for "no sharpening".

@topet2k12001
thanks dude.... its crystal clear rite now...

topet2k12001

Apr 22, 2013
Metro Manila
Hi, will this work on other LG phones for which official Lollipop KDZ has been released?
I have LG L90 official lollipop firmware, desperately want to root it, but till now nothing seems to work.

Hi @m.swastik,

Sorry but i do not know the answer. You can try if you are adventurous enough, but ,make sure you take calculated risks (i.e. fully backup your system via TWRP, etc.).

@topet2k12001
thanks dude.... its crystal clear rite now...

Hi @ReeeN,

You're welcome. :)

Reactions: m.swastik

zurny

May 17, 2012
Yes that's what I did, I was running stock kitkat and flashed the stock lollipop rom from the official kdz file.

ch4dwick

Aug 20, 2012
Metro Manila
Hi Friends,

Here's what I'll do: I'll do my best to check this thread at least once a day, browse through the posts, and then multi-quote them and provide responses whenever I can. So let's start. :)

Hi @ch4dwick,

Maybe it will be possible by building/compiling CM from source for our D858HK. That's actually what I'm reading/learning about (as I mentioned in the first post that I am not a developer by profession). If someone with skills can do it, then that would be awesome.

I'll try to look into this but it doesn't look very promising. It would be far easier for me to just work with a cm supported phone than go through the trouble of cooking up a custome cm for it.

Tried it with an SM-G900K in the past that lead me nowhere. :(

zurny

May 17, 2012
Hi Friends,

Hi @zurny,

Thanks for confirming your LG G3 variant. :) I will update the First Post.

Yup, as far as download speed, I haven't investigated it because I did not experience the problem. Try to isolate the easiest causes first (i.e. your Internet quality/speed). One typical way that I would do it is to switch to another wifi, or disable wifi and use 3G/4G/LTE and see if it makes a difference. Only then will I move further in troubleshooting such as clearing cache, etc.

Well I let the updates finish while I was sleeping and everything is fine this morning. The speed problem wasn't caused by my connection cause I ran a speedtest with the speedtest.net app and my wifi was getting 45 mbps. I think the rom needs to stabilize for a while after the initial flash. For my part I flashed the Lollipop stock KDZ to upgrade from stock Kitkat, so a lot of stuff was updating at the same time so the slowdown was probably CPU or disk related.

On a side note, for those of you getting an LG security error at boot after flashing everything, make sure your boot_196608.bin is renamed to boot.img and your modem_32768.bin to modem.img. I made the mistake of only renaming the extension to .img and forgot to rename the file name. I was able to reboot to recovery and re-flash everything and it was fine.

Cheers!

ReeeN

Oct 12, 2011
Battery draining fast

hai all....

after upgrading to lollipop, do you all having problem with the battery? because i think the battery is draining to fast on my device, compared to kitkat. or its just me having this prob? or maybe its lollipop bugs? just curious...

topet2k12001

Apr 22, 2013
Metro Manila
Responses 03.09.2015

Yes that's what I did, I was running stock kitkat and flashed the stock lollipop rom from the official kdz file.

Let's be careful; he said his phone is the LG L90 and not an LG G3. That's why i said to him in my response that he may try but make sure that he takes a calculated risk. Although if this procedure works for him then that's great. :)

Very nice job ! guide is a spectacular,

but I would like mention that there is one Pre_rooted Rom (LOLIPOP) for the D852 Bell/rogers.

http://xdaforums.com/lg-g3/general/canada-lg-g3-canadian-users-t2810696/page110

I've been running it since last weeks.

Hi @cirusnb,

Thanks for sharing! I do see a lot of other LG G3 variants already having repacked, "pre-rooted" Lollipop firmware. I actually wanted to do the same so that it will be more convenient for the D858HK users. On the other hand, it's also a good thing to learn how to do it manually, as it aims to provide a "universal" approach - for example there are variants which are not widely supported so this is the only option for them. Also, knowing how to manually flash is a good thing to know because in case of emergencies people have an alternative way (I had a lot of "brick" status scenarios while experimenting and having knowledge of more than one method of flashing helped me avoid a "full brick" situation).

Well I let the updates finish while I was sleeping and everything is fine this morning. The speed problem wasn't caused by my connection cause I ran a speedtest with the speedtest.net app and my wifi was getting 45 mbps. I think the rom needs to stabilize for a while after the initial flash. For my part I flashed the Lollipop stock KDZ to upgrade from stock Kitkat, so a lot of stuff was updating at the same time so the slowdown was probably CPU or disk related.

Hi @zurny,

Thanks for your feedback. :)

I'm not sure, but this may have played a role to your issue:

For my part I flashed the Lollipop stock KDZ to upgrade from stock Kitkat...

Flashing the full firmware (KDZ) means that effectively, you are flashing also some of the key components (partitions) that we don't want to be flashed, which goes against the purpose of this guide (whereby this guide is sourced from that of @autoprime). That's why we are only extracting specific parts of the KDZ (system.img, modem.img, and boot.img) and flashing only these components (partitions) accordingly. Then we "bump" the boot.img via the Sharpening Script Mod to ensure that we can still use TWRP while in Lollipop.

1. Some examples of those components (partitions) that we don't want flashed (which are flashed when doing a KDZ full flash) are: tz.img, rpm.img, sbl1.img, and aboot.img.
2. Flashing the full KDZ means you will be overwriting those existing components (partitions) to Lollipop versions (which we don't want to happen) - which in this guide, we want to remain as "Kitkat versions".
3. Basically, in this guide we are going to Lollipop from Kitkat, and not doing the guide when we are already in Lollipop.

But if everything stabilizes as per your intended course of action, then all good. :)

On a side note, for those of you getting an LG security error at boot after flashing everything, make sure your boot_196608.bin is renamed to boot.img and your modem_32768.bin to modem.img. I made the mistake of only renaming the extension to .img and forgot to rename the file name. I was able to reboot to recovery and re-flash everything and it was fine.

Yes...effectively speaking, if the boot_xxxxx.img and modem_xxxxxx.img files are not renamed, the Flash2Modem.zip and Flash2Boot.zip will end up flashing nothing. This is because those zips are "programmed" in a way that they will look for a file named exactly as boot.img and modem.img.

It is for this reason why I recommend everyone to read the guide first in its entirety before actually doing it. And to read slowly/carefully, no need to rush it. :)

hai all....

after upgrading to lollipop, do you all having problem with the battery? because i think the battery is draining to fast on my device, compared to kitkat. or its just me having this prob? or maybe its lollipop bugs? just curious...

Hi @ReeeN,

Haven't observed it yet as I was busy responding to posts. :)

On my end, here's what I'll do to test:

1. I'll start from full charge.
2. No installed user apps yet (especially social media and chat/messaging apps). Probably I'll set up my work email but will do manual sync only.
3. I will use only 3G or 4G, no Wifi
4. No auto-syncing for me (I never do that)
5. I don't play games on mobile phones. I'm more of a PC and console gamer.

This is so I can compare with the same method I used when I was with Kitkat. Based on my actual experience, battery lasts for an average of 24 hours when I was on Kitkat.

Basically, I would downgrade to Kitkat, observe/record my battery drain based on my usage pattern. Then upgrade back to Lollipop and do the same (should be pretty much the same usage pattern). This way I can compare the results with some degree of confidence.

I just saw a thread and it's all about changing the "governor" from "Interactive" to "Conservative". It's off-topic from this thread but I just thought of mentioning this. You may want to try it. Here is the thread: click me!

Last edited:

zurny

May 17, 2012
Hi Friends,

Hi @zurny,

Thanks for your feedback. :)

I'm not sure, but this may have played a role to your issue:

Flashing the full firmware (KDZ) means that effectively, you are flashing also some of the key components (partitions) that we don't want to be flashed, which goes against the purpose of this guide (whereby this guide is sourced from that of @autoprime). That's why we are only extracting specific parts of the KDZ (system.img, modem.img, and boot.img) and flashing only these components (partitions) accordingly. Then we "bump" the boot.img via the Sharpening Script Mod to ensure that we can still use TWRP while in Lollipop.

1. Some examples of those components (partitions) that we don't want flashed (which are flashed when doing a KDZ full flash) are: tz.img, rpm.img, sbl1.img, and aboot.img.
2. Flashing the full KDZ means you will be overwriting those existing components (partitions) to Lollipop versions (which we don't want to happen) - which in this guide, we want to remain as "Kitkat versions".
3. Basically, in this guide we are going to Lollipop from Kitkat, and not doing the guide when we are already in Lollipop.

But if everything stabilizes as per your intended course of action, then all good. :)

Yes...effectively speaking, if the boot_xxxxx.img and modem_xxxxxx.img files are not renamed, the Flash2Modem.zip and Flash2Boot.zip will end up flashing nothing. This is because those zips are "programmed" in a way that they will look for a file named exactly as boot.img and modem.img.

It is for this reason why I recommend everyone to read the guide first in its entirety before actually doing it. And to read slowly/carefully, no need to rush it. :)

I didn't flash the full KDZ, I meant to say that I extracted the three .img files from the kdz , I thought that it was insinuated. I'll more clear in the future :)

topet2k12001

Apr 22, 2013
Metro Manila
Clarification

I didn't flash the full KDZ, I meant to say that I extracted the three .img files from the kdz , I thought that it was insinuated. I'll more clear in the future :)

Oh, I see. Thanks for clarifying that part. :) Yes, we all need to be very clear; I realized that XDA is an international forum so everyone is required to speak in English but of course, not all of us use English as the first language (that includes myself, of course).

I'll just keep my previous response as-is, so others who happen to flash the full Lollipop KDZ will also have a reference in the future.

topet2k12001

Apr 22, 2013
Metro Manila
Q&A Added

Hi Friends,

Thank you so much for your posts and questions. It allowed me to add a few Q&A items (I edited the "Troubleshooting" section to add the Q&A's). This helps ensure that newcomers can easily be directed to Page #1 of this thread and help save them time in reading the entire thread just to find the answer.

In case this thread becomes busy in the future and you notice that something needs to be added/removed/edited in the First Page (and I missed reading it), please don't hesitate to let me know via PM (Private Message).

Keep them coming!

ReeeN

Oct 12, 2011
Hi @ReeeN,

Haven't observed it yet as I was busy responding to posts. :)

On my end, here's what I'll do to test:

1. I'll start from full charge.
2. No installed user apps yet (especially social media and chat/messaging apps). Probably I'll set up my work email but will do manual sync only.
3. I will use only 3G or 4G, no Wifi
4. No auto-syncing for me (I never do that)
5. I don't play games on mobile phones. I'm more of a PC and console gamer.

This is so I can compare with the same method I used when I was with Kitkat. Based on my actual experience, battery lasts for an average of 24 hours when I was on Kitkat.

Basically, I would downgrade to Kitkat, observe/record my battery drain based on my usage pattern. Then upgrade back to Lollipop and do the same (should be pretty much the same usage pattern). This way I can compare the results with some degree of confidence.

I just saw a thread and it's all about changing the "governor" from "Interactive" to "Conservative". It's off-topic from this thread but I just thought of mentioning this. You may want to try it. Here is the thread: click me!

thanks for your suggestion @topet2k12001 i'll try latter to change the governor from interactive to conservative, hope that will help my battery issue...

DE52

Aug 1, 2013
Montreal
D852 Rogers working! :)

Just wanted to report that this worked. For some reason, it seems that open_bump wasn't bumping the image properly. Anyway, the sharpening script did the trick. Will report in autoprime's thread as well as some canadian users had an issue updating if memory serves correctly. Anyway, thanks for doing most of the experimenting for us :p and writing this detailed guide. I knew my issue was with the boot.img. Just didn't know that the sharpening script provided another way of bumping. Had I known, would've got lollipop working way earlier (2 days after Rogers OTA xD) since the phone wouldn't throw the error anymore.

topet2k12001

Apr 22, 2013
Metro Manila
Great to know!

Just wanted to report that this worked. For some reason, it seems that open_bump wasn't bumping the image properly. Anyway, the sharpening script did the trick. Will report in autoprime's thread as well as some canadian users had an issue updating if memory serves correctly. Anyway, thanks for doing most of the experimenting for us :p and writing this detailed guide. I knew my issue was with the boot.img. Just didn't know that the sharpening script provided another way of bumping. Had I known, would've got lollipop working way earlier (2 days after Rogers OTA xD) since the phone wouldn't throw the error anymore.

Hi @DE52,

Good to know that! I'll add your LG G3 variant to the list of working devices for the manual method. I saw your post in @autoprime's thread as well.

Yup, this how-to guide is practically sourced from @autoprime. I just added that extra step of "bumping" the boot.img via the Sharpening Script Mod (apparently, it also contains a script to properly "bump" the boot.img). And then I just detailed the steps - I really did not invent anything here, I just basically spelled it out. :)

smirdex1

Mar 10, 2015
problem wit OTA update

hi..i have lg g3 d858hk
few days ago i got v20c update in my update center with OTA,but i didnt update...i cancel it...i didnt select upgrade botton...yesterday i decide to update again with OTA but over again i cancel it and did not push upgrade botton...today i want to update with OTA but there is no update in OTA!!!
it say you are updated to lasted os...my os is kitkat 4.4.2......what happeneed?

why i cant update from ota?
but when i connect phone to pc and luanch LG MOBILE SUPPORT TOOL there is a update..
size of ota update is 566 MB...but size of LG MOBILE SUPPORT TOOL is 1126 MB!!!!what diference of this updates?
plz help me....

topet2k12001

Apr 22, 2013
Metro Manila
hi..i have lg g3 d858hk
few days ago i got v20c update in my update center with OTA,but i didnt update...i cancel it...i didnt select upgrade botton...yesterday i decide to update again with OTA but over again i cancel it and did not push upgrade botton...today i want to update with OTA but there is no update in OTA!!!
it say you are updated to lasted os...my os is kitkat 4.4.2......what happeneed?

why i cant update from ota?
but when i connect phone to pc and luanch LG MOBILE SUPPORT TOOL there is a update..
size of ota update is 566 MB...but size of LG MOBILE SUPPORT TOOL is 1126 MB!!!!what diference of this updates?
plz help me....

Hi @smirdex1,

So basically, you want to upgrade to Lollipop, correct?

If so, don't worry. You can upgrade using the guide in this thread. It's not OTA method, but it will get up upgraded to Lollipop just the same. Plus, this guide will give you root and custom recovery (TWRP). :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OWNERS OF OTHER LG G3 VARIANTS ARE WELCOME TO TRY!
    IMAGEPREPGUI: AUTO-SCRIPT (GUI) FOR LG G3
    Tested on: LG G3 D858HK

FEATURES:
    1. Rooting of your LG G3
    2. Automatic (no-touch) extraction of aboot.img and laf.img from your KDZ or TOT firmware via the KDZ and TOT Extractor Tool by @bullghost
    3. Download and installation of "bump'd" TWRP custom recovery for certain LG G3 models/variants
    4. Sharpening Mod Script of Skin1980 included (to be manually flashed upon reboot to TWRP Custom Recovery) - this will "bump" your Kernel (boot.img) and will apply your desired sharpening level of the LG G3's display
    5. "Bump" your boot.img (as part of the TWRP installation process of ImageprepGUI)
    6. (Experimental): optionally "bump" your "un-bump'd" TWRP custom recovery.img

REQUIREMENTS:

1. Installed LG G3 Drivers for your device
    2. Enabled Developer Options and USB Debugging on your LG G3
    3. Backed up all your important files to your external storage or computer
    4. Downloaded a copy of your KITKAT Firmware (in KDZ or TOT format)
    5. Your custom recovery (TWRP) for your respective LG G3 model (Imageprep has download feature but only for certain models)

DOWNLOAD LINK:

ImageprepGUI v2.6: "installer" format. Double-click it to run. It will detect any previous installations of ImageprepGUI and delete them (as in ALL files within).

Imageprep Folder in Google Drive: this contains sub-folders of various LG G3 variants/models where you can manually download aboot.img, laf.img, and "Bump'd" TWRP custom recovery (recovery.img). Users can also download previous versions from here as well as corresponding video tutorials.

Downloadable Video Tutorial
    Video Tutorial on YouTube

HOW TO USE:

1. Navigate to C:\ImageprepGUI and you will see ImageprepGUIvx.x.exe (where x.x is the version number). Run this app. It is recommended that you create a shortcut to your desktop or Windows taskbar for easy access.
    2. Follow the step-by-step instructions.

DETAILED STEP-BY-STEP (HOW TO USE):

At the first screen with selections (radio buttons):

1. Acquire aboot.img and laf.img: you can choose to...
    a. download from my Google Drive, or
    b. have the full KDZ or TOT firmware handy and let ImageprepGUI extract them for you, or
    c. manually run the KDZ and TOT Extractor tool and manually extract them

IMPORTANT: DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP IF YOU'RE GOING TO INSTALL TWRP. YOU MUST MAKE A SELECTION. SKIPPING THIS STEP IS OKAY IF YOU ARE ONLY ROOTING THE DEVICE.

2. Acquire "Bump'd" TWRP (recovery.img): you can choose to...
    a. download from my Google Drive, or
    b. have your own "bump'd" TWRP (recovery.img) handy

IMPORTANT: DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP IF YOU'RE GOING TO INSTALL TWRP. YOU MUST MAKE A SELECTION. SKIPPING THIS STEP IS OKAY IF YOU ARE ONLY ROOTING THE DEVICE.

At the next page:

1. You can choose to...
    a. root ONLY (there are 2 methods available), or
    b. skip rooting (if you are already rooted prior) and then proceed to TWRP installation, or
    c. root+install TWRP in one go (there are 2 methods available, since there are 2 ways to root)

What's new:
    June 24, 2015:
    1. Fixed: COM Port not detected completely (reported by @re_di)
    2. Fixed: pushing of BusyBox and Sharpening Script Mod happens only if user selects rooting, so those who select to ONLY install TWRP will not get BusyBox and Sharpening Script Mod (and without BusyBox, boot.img will not be "bump'd")

Older versions:

June 10, 2015:
    1. There's a new rooting method by @digital-bug. It's supposed to address an issue for newer Lollipop firmwares that don't work well with rooting methods that make use of a Linux Shell Script. The effect is the same though. As the author notes, if you are already rooted prior, please DO NOT re-root. If you want to try this new method of if you want to switch between rooting methods, please back up your files and re-flash your device.
    2. ImageprepGUI version 2.5 already includes the new rooting method. Users now have two choices of rooting.
    3. Re-enabled the option for users to try and "bump" their un-"bump'd" TWRP Custom Recovery (recovery.img). This is not a 100% guarantee, but choice is always good so I put it back there.

June 08, 2015:
    1. GUI Enhancement: added "Select Options"
    2. GUI Enhancement: search for file window (no longer need to navigate to Windows File Explorer to copy-paste Image Files)
    3. Additional options for acquiring KITKAT Image Files (aboot.img, laf.img): users are not tied to only one method of acquiring these Image Files. They can choose to download them or use their own copy
    4. Users can now open a new session of the KDZ and TOT Extractor Tool (for manual operation)
    5. Users can select various options to manipulate how ImageprepGUI will behave to their liking, such as skipping certain sections of the process

June 01, 2015:
    1. Changed the order of steps. Extraction of firmware (for aboot.img and laf.img) and recovery.img (TWRP "bump'd" custom recovery) come first before rooting and TWRP installation.
    2. Put back "installer mode".
    3. Pushing of files is in GUI mode. Only the actual booting to Download Mode and rooting are the ones that remain in DOS (command line) mode.

May 26, 2015:
    1. Rooting portion of the script is non-GUI for the moment (GUI is not rooting the device properly and is currently being investigated)2. Disabled "installer" and delivering the file via "zip" file instead (after downloading, extract the entire "ImageprepGUI" folder to your Drive C:\)
    2. Disabled "What do you want to do today?". This means that users will have to go through the entire "complete" process, start-to-finish

May 22, 2015: addressed (hopefully) an issue where the LG G3's COM port is not detected, causing ImageprepGUI to quit/exit. Please test and let me know if this release works now.

Update Notes:

June 10, 2015 Update: ImageprepGUI v2.5 Released

Thanks to @digital-bug for sharing the new method of rooting the LG G3. This new approach has the same end-result and effect as the existing methods. Where it's different is how it is being executed. Instead of a Linux Shell Script, it makes use of an "indirect" input (like "piping"), as if the user manually entered the command via a keyboard.

AS ALWAYS, BACK UP FIRST BEFORE TRYING!

Update Notes for Previous Versions:
    June 08, 2015 Update: ImageprepGUI v2.4 Released
    Thanks for all your feedback and support!

This new release has some GUI Enhancements as well as an added window: "Select Options". This way, users can now influence how they want ImageprepGUI to behave. For example, if users only want to root their device, they can simply select "Skip this step" under "Image Files Acquisition" as well as "TWRP Custom Recovery Download". Mix-and-match to your liking!

There is also a new rooting method, which aims to address rooting issues for LG G3's that sport the newer firmware versions. We'll see if this new method can be added to ImageprepGUI.

Video tutorial is still in the works for this new version. I inadvertently deleted a copy of my LOLLIPOP KDZ firmware so I have to download it again in order to reflash and record a new video.

June 01, 2015 Update
    :
    ImageprepGUI v2.3 Released

Again thanks for those who have tried and provided feedback!

Some users reported that the rooting phase/portion of the script will continue towards completion, even if the device was not booted to Download Mode properly. I have tested since version 2.2 and didn't encounter the issue. Nevertheless, I modified it a bit so that only the rebooting to Download Mode, and the actual rooting, will be run in MS-DOS (command line) mode.

Also, I have reversed the order of steps. Extraction of image files (from a full KDZ or TOT firmware) as well as TWRP download (or manual copy-paste to the "twrp" sub-folder) will come first. Once these two steps are done, then "Rooting" and "TWRP installation" will be the next steps. This seems to be a more logical order: prepare the needed files first, and then run the rest automatically.

May 26, 2015 Update
    :
    ImageprepGUI v2.2 Released

Thanks for those who tried ImageprepGUI (a.k.a. Imageprep v2.0) and for reporting issues with it.

The rooting script does not run properly in GUI mode. Since I don't want you guys to wait, I stripped down the GUI piece of the "rooting" stage for the meantime until I get it all figured out. There's a lot going on (personal life) at work so I anticipate my progress to be slow.

Also, I momentarily removed the option of running only portions of the "complete" process. In version 2.2, users will have to go through the entire process from start to finish. I'm going back to the drawing board to design a better flowchart of events so as to further reduce problems that may inadvertently be caused by human error.

In version 2.2, there is no "installer" mode. It's just going to be a plain ".zip" file. When you open the ".zip" file, you will see a folder named "ImageprepGUI". Extract the folder itself to your Drive C:\ (so effectively, all the contents will go along with it).

May 11, 2015 Update:
    Back on Track: ImageprepGUI (Imageprep v2.0)

I've been out for quite a while due to family (personal matters) and work (gunning for a promotion!) and would like to apologize for my absence. But rest assured I continuously worked on Imageprep whenever I had the time. And so, I now present to you ImageprepGUI. This is my first attempt at programming for a GUI app/software so please go easy on this. :)

DISCLAIMER:

This product is not an official LG software and is therefore not endorsed by LG Electronics in any way. As such, this is a 'try-at-your-own-risk' approach. Please make sure to back up your important files when trying this for the first time. I take no responsibility for any undue outcomes resulting from the use of this software.

ABOUT IMAGEPREPGUI:

Imageprep is NOT a one-click application, and it is intentionally created to be so. Because its objective is to support multiple models/variants of the LG G3, it is developed in a way that the process will pause or exit if something is "off", so expect that there will be pop-up messages every now and then. Think of them as "security measures" to reduce the mistakes from a user point-of-view. In other words, Imageprep takes a balanced approach to automation, features, and "mistake-proofing" in order to provide a virtually seamless experience.

In order to support multiple LG G3 models/variants, Imageprep involves the ability to download TWRP Custom Recovery (recovery.img) for your specific LG G3 model/variant. If you are not comfortable with what is being downloaded, or if your device is not listed, there is an option to place a copy of your TWRP custom recovery (recovery.img) manually. Other image files (aboot.img and laf.img) will be extracted via the "KDZ and TOT Extractor Tool" which will be done automatically.

Outside of downloading and/or extracting, the rest of the actual rooting process is done automatically, just like how Imageprep was in its early stages.

FINAL WORDS:

Having no prior background in programming, this is my first-ever attempt to create a GUI application. While I have tested this application extensively and to the best of my abilities, nothing is perfect. Hence as a general rule: always back up your important data before embarking on activities such as this!

Imageprep is continuously evolving and is therefore a work-in-progress so I am open to suggestions, requests to add more LG G3 models/variants, and even small talk via chat or forums. I always strive to visit the XDA forums to respond to queries or Private Messages whenever time allows me.

I hope this application helps you in every simple way. Enjoy!

With kind regards from the Philippines,

- topet2k12001 @xda[/URL]

CREDITS:

@Chainfire for SuperSU.
    @autoprime for his tutorial on “Manual Firmware Update” to keep root/”bump’d”, and for guiding and giving clarity by explaining what happens in the background when I conducted my experiment.
    @Skin1980 for allowing me to use the commands from his Sharpening Script Mod (for sharpening options) as well as the commands for "live bumping" ("bumping" on-the-fly) of the boot.img.
    @jcase for putting up the the “Stump” thread. Without “Stump” we would not have enjoyed “root” functionality of the LG G3.
    @thecubed for “Bump”. Such a wonderful tool. It opened the doors of customization for the LG G3.
    @bullghost for the “KDZ and TOT Extractor” tool. This nifty tool allowed us to extract the important components (partitions) of the LG G3’s firmware.
    @mronly1love for “Bump Windows version”. It is through this tool that I was able to “bump” my TWRP 2.8.4.0.
    @hoangnova for his post about the partition layout of the LG G3. It helped me confirm how I should flash aboot.img.
    @itsbighead for his post that helped me understand what aboot.img, laf.img, and sbl1.img meant, and for the same post that explains what causes the LG G3 to boot into an error screen that says “certificate verify”.
    @gzkenny from bbs.gfan.com for “D858HK TWRP 2.8.4.0”. It is a purely Chinese website and I actually spent time understanding everything even with Google Translate. I’m not sure if he/she will able to read/understand this but I thank him/her too.
    @6ril1 for sharing to me how to "bump" a boot.img. Also thanking him for sharing a secret/tip, which actually inspired me to start learning how to program (I'm starting with simple scripts for now). This is the reason why I was able to come up with "imageprep".
    @Unjustified Dev for sharing a method of rooting the Android Lollipop without downgrading to Kitkat.
    @zurny for proof-reading the guide and pointing out clerical errors or any other errors that may cause future problems for the readers.
    @DE52 and @ ravi.vydianathan for spreading the word about this thread and helping to explain the logic to fellow XDA members
    @avicohh for automating the rooting commands via a script
    @jac10000 for modifying the scripted rooting commands to add TWRP
    @somboons for One Click ROOT+TWRP Recovery for Lollipop Stock Firmware
    [ANNOUNCEMENT][SCRIPT] Imageprep: One-click solution for TWRP and BUMP v 1.5

Hi Friends,

New version 1.5! Please visit Post #1

Old/Previous Method is archived below for reference purposes.

I noticed that some users have some difficulty and/or confusion with manually having to enter commands in the Android Terminal Emulator. Manually having to type commands using a mobile device is not an ideal scenario as it creates opportunities for people to make mistakes. As a result, some of us encounter mishaps like:

• "Certificate Verify" errors
    • "Security Error"
    • Loss of "Download Mode"
    I thought hard about it and committed myself to making a solution that will somehow automate all of the things we need to do in order to achieve "Bump'd" TWRP and "Bump'd" boot.img. I took effort, as a non-programmer, to read online and learn how to make simple "shell scripts". I learned that you can create a simple file that will contain all the commands needed. This way, we will type or enter only one command in the Android Terminal Emulator.

I present to you: "imageprep"! (Sorry I can't think of a name, I know it sounds corny...)

Video Tutorial (includes rooting, how to extract a KDZ, and how to use "Imageprep"...version 1.4 was used): https://mega.co.nz/#!FYNF2Qya!bMo2C4ZzhPEX5dfEXz32rXcajl2e10mKZuyi8MiSyts

Version Updates

(March 15, 2015) 1.0: Initial Release
    (March 15, 2015) 1.1:

• Added requirement for user to make selections: reminder and confirmation for end-user, flashing of Kitkat "entire" Boot Stack or just LAF partition only
    • Added Sharpness Adjustment (selection of sharpness value)
    (March 16, 2015) 1.2:

• Fixed folder order. Version 1.1 is extracting directly to the Internal Storage. Should extract instead to a folder named "imageprep" (i.e. should be /sdcard/imageprep/(the corresponding sub-folders)
    (March 16, 2015) 1.3:

• Visual and wording clean-up
    • Found a "bug" where the selected sharpness level does not take effect. Click here for the explanation/finding.
    (March 18, 2015) 1.4:

• Added security feature: script will check if "Kitkat" image files and custom recovery image file are present in the correct location.
    • Added security feature: Kitkat version laf.img will be flashed by default. This will ensure that once the "bump'd"(signed with Kitkat signature) boot.img is flashed, the device can boot to Download Mode.
    • Sequence of events:
      • Prepare essential files for "bumping" the boot.img
      • A reminder will be shown. You need to confirm that you have read and accomplished all requirements by typing "yes".
      • The script will not believe you. It will still check. If the ".img" files are not in their correct locations, the script will exit.
      • The script will back up your Lolliopop BOOT (kernel), ABOOT (Android Bootloader), LAF (LG Download Mode), and RECOVERY (stock recovery) partitions and will create backups.
      • The script will wipe your recovery partition and will replace it with your "bump'd" custom recovery (TWRP).
      • The script will wipe your stock (Lollipop) ABOOT (Android Bootloader) and LAF (Download Mode) partitions, and will replace them with Kitkat version. This is needed because once the boot.img is bump'd later in the script, it will be signed with a Kitkat "signature" and you will get a "certificate verify" error. Once ABOOT is replaced with a Kitkat version, then the signature that is used to sign (bump) boot.img will now match that of ABOOT, and will therefore "pass" the signature check. You will now be allowed to boot into Android.
      • The script will back up your Lollipop Boot Stack (SBL1, RPM, PERSIST, TZ, AND DBI).
      • The script will let you adjust your preferred sharpness level.
      • The script will "bump" (sign with a Kitkat signature) your boot.img.
      • The script will wipe your BOOT partition and will will replace it with the "bump'd" Lollipop boot.img. Congratulations!
      • "Post-Install option": the script will ask you if you want to wipe your Lollipop Boot Stack partitions and replace them with Kitkat versions. IMPORTANT: select "no" the first time around. Reboot the device and try Download Mode. If it does not work, then it means you need to do this step. Run the script again and when you get to this part of the script, select "yes".
      • Type "exit" to end the script and then reboot via the Power button.
      • For sharpness of display: upon reboot, turn off the display (power button) and then turn on again.
    What does it do (features)?

• Backup, wipe the recovery partition, and flash a custom recovery (TWRP).
    • Backup, wipe the stock boot.img, "bump" it (credits to @Skin1980 for giving permission to use his original work/commands and @6ril1 for also sharing his version of the commands), and then flash it.
    • Backup, wipe the Lollipop "Boot Stack", and replace with Kitkat "Boot Stack".
    • Allows you to set your preferred display sharpness (with permission from @Skin1980).
    • Allows you to choose whether you want to replace the entire Lollipop Boot Stack with Kitkat, or just the LAF partition (only the Download Mode). Some users reported that they needed to replace the entire Lollipop Boot Stack; some reported that they only need LAF. So I am giving this as an option.
    What are the requirements?

• A "freshly-flashed" Stock Android Lollipop (either by fully flashing a KDZ or TOT, or by OTA update) - strongly recommended, to ensure that there is no "mix" of Kitkat and Lollipop files
    • Root - please follow the rooting guides from the other threads like this one
    • Extracted Kitkat Boot Stack (aboot.img, dbi.img, rpm.img, persist.img, sbl1.img, laf.img, tz.img) - use the KDZ and TOT Extractor Tool to get them. If you don't know yet how to extract the needed ".img" files, or if you need a refresher, please visit Post #2 of this thread.
    • "Bump'd" TWRP Custom Recovery
    • Android Terminal Emulator
    • Busybox - make sure to open the app and you will see a loading progress indicator at the top portion. Once it completes, please click on "Install" at the bottom portion.
    • Root Checker - to make sure that you have Root and Busybox properly installed
    Where to get a copy and how do I use it?

• Download it from the attachment of this post
    • Extract it to your Internal Storage (the "main" /sdcard, NOT /external_SD!)
    How to use it?

• Once extracted, open the folder (the name is "imageprep")
    • You will see more folders and will place the necessary files:
      • "kkimagefiles" - place your extracted Kitkat Boot Stack files here. Make sure that they are named with "kitkat-" before the filename. Make sure also that you not only change the file name, but also the file type (from ".bin" to ".img"). So, your "kkimagefiles" sub-folder should contain the following ".img" files and they should be written like this:
        • kitkat-aboot.img
        • kitkat-laf.img
        • kitkat-dbi.img
        • kitkat-rpm.img
        • kitkat-sbl1.img
        • kitkat-persist.img
        • kitkat-tz.img
      • "limagefiles" - this is empty. The script will back up your Lollipop Boot Stack files and it will place them here.
      • "tmp" - DO NOT TOUCH!
      • "twrp" - place your "bump'd" TWRP Custom Recovery here. Rename it as "twrp.img" (without the quotes).

• Open Android Terminal Emulator
    • Type the following commands:
    Code:
    su
    sh /sdcard/imageprep/imageprep1.4.sh
    Take note of the command...I always change the filename of imageprep.sh to the latest version. This is to ensure that you won't mistakenly use an old version of the script (Android Terminal Emulator will give you a "Not Found" error). This is intended as a safety feature.

• The script will run automatically
    • Somewhere along the script, you will be prompted to select your preferred display sharpness (this is the Sharpness Script Mod)
    • Type a value from 0 to 40, where: 0 = disable oversharpening effect; 40 = default sharpness of LG G3
    • Press Enter to apply your selected sharpening level
    • Also somewhere along the script, you will be asked if you wanted to replace the entire Lollipop Boot Stack with Kitkat Boot Stack, or only the LAF partition (laf.img). The LAF partition is the partition that holds the "Download Mode". Some users reported that they needed to replace the entire Lollipop Boot Stack; some reported that they only need LAF. So I am giving this as an option.
    • Select "yes" (without the quotes) to replace the entire Lollipoo Boot Stack with Kitkat. Select "no" (without the quotes) if you want to replace only LAF. If you're not sure, just select "yes". :)
    • Remember: upon reboot, turn off your display (power button), wait for a few seconds, and turn on the display again so that the selected sharpness will take effect
    I have tested this on my LG G3 D858HK, so I need folks who are willing to test this on their respective LG G3 variants and let me know!

NEW!!! Pre-packed (Repackaged) Imageprep Downloads: some good members of XDA have uploaded Imageprep pre-packed with the needed files for certain LG G3 models/variants. Big thank you!

1. EXTRACT

This is a "sub" tutorial or how-to on extracting the necessary image files from an LG G3 firmware (KDZ or TOT)

In this example, we are extracting Lollipop system.img, boot.img, and modem.img based on the "Kitkat Downgrade" method.
    For the "No Downgrade" (Manual and/or "Imageprep) method, it's the same procedure...only different files to extract.

1. Extract “system.img”, “boot.img”, and “modem.img” from your Android Lollipop firmware via the “KDZ and TOT Extractor”.
    a. Download the KDZ and TOT Extractor from @bullghost’s thread.
    b. The file is in .zip format. Extract/uncompress it to a folder/location of your choice. This will be your working folder.​
    001%2B-%2BExtract%2BKDZ%2Band%2BTOT%2BProgram.png

c. Put a copy of your Android Lollipop firmware in the working folder. At this point, the working folder should look like this:​
    002%2B-%2BSet%2Bup%2BWorking%2BFolder.png

d. IMPORTANT!!!! Make sure that your File Explorer is set up to show “File Name Extensions”. In Windows 8, click on “View” and check “File name extensions”.​
    003%2B-%2BEnable%2BFile%2Bname%2Bextensions%2Bin%2BWindows%2BFile%2BExplorer.png

e. Run the Extraction Program and select the Android Lollipop firmware.​
    004%2B-%2BRun%2Bthe%2BKDZ%2Band%2BTOT%2BExtractor.png

f. Extract the contents of the KDZ file. Basically, we want to get the DZ file from within it.​
    005%2B-%2BExtract%2Bthe%2BKDZ.png

g. Now we will extract the contents of the DZ file. Notice that your working folder will be filled with files, ending in “.bin”.​
    006%2B-%2BExtract%2Bthe%2BDZ.png

007%2B-%2BWorking%2BFolder%2BFills%2BUp%2Bwith%2BFiles.png

h. Next is to merge the “system” partial files to create “system.img”.​
    008%2B-%2BMerge%2BSystem%2BPartial%2BFiles.png

i. The resulting “system.img” file is inside a newly-created sub-folder named “merge-output”.​
    009%2B-%2BResulting%2BSystem%2BFile.png

j. Copy boot_xxxxxx.bin and modem_xxxxx.bin and paste them inside the “merge_output” sub-folder.
    NOTE: the numbers may vary on different LG G3 variants. It doesn’t matter; just do it!​
    010%2B-%2BExtract%2BModem%2Band%2BBoot%2BImage%2BFiles.png

k. Rename those files to “boot.img” and “modem.img”. You’re done with Step 1!
    NOTE: If you missed Step 1.d, you will end up renaming only the file name as boot.img or modem.img but the file extension will still be “.bin”. That’s why you need to follow Step 1.d!!!​
    011%2B-%2BRename%2BModem%2Band%2BBoot%2BImage%2BFiles.png

Troubleshooting and Q&A

Q: No radio signal (wifi, 2G/3G/4G/LTE)

A: The Lollipop modem.img was not flashed because you forgot to rename the modem_XXXXX.img as modem.img. Or, you forgot to put modem.img in the "flash2" folder. Remember, the Flash2Modem.zip script is programmed to look for modem.img in the "flash2" folder.

A: You have various versions (Kitkat and Lollipop) of boot.img, modem.img, and system.img and you accidentally mixed them up. Make sure that you organize your files properly (put them in folders) and then try the process again.

Q: I get the “certificate verify” error when booting to Android.

A: The Lollipop boot.img was flashed successfully, but was not “bump’d” because you forgot to flash the Sharpening Script Mod BEFORE booting to Android as per the tutorial. Also, make sure as well that at the end of the Sharpening Mod Script, un-select the box for rebooting. You should reboot from TWRP’s main reboot menu and not from the Sharpening Script Mod.

A: You have various versions (Kitkat and Lollipop) of boot.img, modem.img, and system.img and you accidentally mixed them up. Make sure that you organize your files properly (put them in folders) and then try the process again.

A: You got adventurous and flashed the Lollipop aboot.img to the device.
    1. Hopefully you had a “bump’d” TWRP before you followed this procedure.
    2. Extract the Kitkat aboot.img from your Kitkat KDZ (the Kitkat version that you were on prior).
    3. Power off the device.
    4. Boot into TWRP (yes you can boot to TWRP even with that error – as long as you had TWRP installed prior).
    5. Plug the device to your computer. The device will open/show in Windows File Explorer. Transfer the Kitkat aboot.img to your Internal Storage.
    6. Power off and then boot to TWRP again, and then reflash aboot.img.
    7. You may end up booting properly to Android but losing “bump’d” hence, you will lose TWRP. That’s fine.
    8. Assuming you are able to boot properly to Android, install Android Terminal Emulator.
    9. While in Android, install the “bump’d” TWRP via Terminal Emulator, following the steps from the “Bump” thread.
    10. Power off the device and boot into TWRP.
    11. Flash the Sharpening Mod Script. It will “bump” your Lollipop boot.img properly.
    12. Reboot to Android.​
    Q: After following the procedure, the phone boots to LG "Life's Good" but after that, I don't see the splash screen/boot animation. Instead, I just see a black screen with "security error" written in the middle of the screen.

A: The Lollipop boot.img was not flashed because you forgot to rename the boot_XXXXX.img as boot.img. Or, you forgot to put boot.img in the "flash2" folder. Remember, the Flash2Boot.zip script is programmed to look for boot.img in the "flash2" folder.

Q: I seem to go into a “boot loop” to TWRP.

A: Common mistake is that people accidentally flash recovery.img to the “Boot” partition, or flashing boot.img to the “Recovery” partition. Reflash the proper Image file to the appropriate partition. If the problem persists, @autoprime created a flashable zip that will fix this problem.

Q: I get the “certificate verify” error when booting to Download Mode, or I can’t boot to Download Mode.

A: You got adventurous and flashed the Lollipop aboot.img, laf.img, or sbl1.img (or other partitions that were not covered in this tutorial) to the device. See long answer from above.

Q: How do I "bump" my custom recovery (TWRP)?

A: D858HK users: you can download a copy from the "Requirements" section in Post #1. Popular variants: the more popular variants (like the D855 - International variant) are very well supported; please search for TWRP as a keyword under the LG G3 section. Less popular variants: there are two (2) tools that you can use. One is "Bump Windows version" and another is "Open Bump". It's easy; just drag-and-drop your custom recovery image (TWRP) to bump.exe (for Bump Windows) or open_bump.py (for Open Bump).

Q: Okay, now I have "bump'd" my custom recovery. How do I install it? I obviously can't flash it via TWRP because I don't have it installed yet.

A: There are two ways to do it. One is done manually. You need to be rooted (Kitkat) and should have Android Terminal Emulator installed. And then you will have to enter some commands. The other way is to do it via "Flashify" (it's an app). For details and instructions, please visit the official "Bump" thread; Post #1.

Q: Do I need to have a custom recovery (TWRP) installed? There are not a lot of custom ROMs for the D858HK anyway so it doesn't make any sense.

A: Yes, you do. Even if you do not intend to install custom ROMs. Installing custom ROMs is just one of the features of a custom recovery such as TWRP, but remember - its main purpose is to provide you with advanced options of recovering your device in the event of a "brick" situation. I have had many instances when I totally "bricked" my device and was saved because I created a full system backup using TWRP. Oh, and make sure that you have installed TWRP and created a full system backup while you are in Android Kitkat!

Q: Do I need to "bump" my current (Kitkat) boot.img and flash it to the device too, before I follow this tutorial?

A: So I downgraded back to Kitkat and tried upgrading again. One with a Kitkat "bumped" boot.img, and another without (stock). In both scenarios, the device was upgrade properly (with root, "bump'd" boot.img, and "bump'd" TWRP). I therefore conclude that it doesn't matter. When you update to Lollipop as per this tutorial, you will end up overwriting the Kitkat boot.img with the Lollipop boot.img and "bumping" anyway (at the part where you flash the Sharpening Script Mod).

Q: There are new threads for rooting Lollipop without downgrading. Here and here. How is your method different?

A: Yes I have read them as well. Great guides, actually. :) However, those are strictly for rooting only. No custom recovery, no "bump". If you want to maintain "bump'd" boot.img and "bump'd" recovery.img (custom recovery such as TWRP), you will still end up having to follow the steps in this guide - downgrade to Kitkat first, extract Lollipop KDZ firmware, and flash only system.img, boot.img, and modem.img. If you are not tinkering around and are confident enough that you won't do adventurous things with your device, it's okay not to have a custom recovery. Therefore, merely rooting your device would be sufficient. In my case, I have "bricked" my device multiple times and was saved by custom recovery, so I would say I need it.

I asked the question in one of the threads: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=59328257&postcount=9

But eventually, I already saw the answer. Fellow XDA member (Recognized Contributor) @6ril1 also confirms this: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=59325441&postcount=55
    Bumps (kernel and recovery) needs KK bootloader (aboot partition and maybe others little partitions that constitute bootstack in KK version :aboot,tz,sbl1,rpm,persist,laf,dbi) for booting. And if you downgrade bootstack you have to bump kernel too for being able to boot firmware from KK bootsack.
    You can extract LP recovery(with kdz extractor tool) and reinject it for returning to LP rooted , as you were before trying to inject bumped TWRP, or you can try to downgrade bootstack and bump kernel for being able to use custom recovery on the stock LP.

So, I created another guide (within this thread - see First Post for the link) on how to achieve that. :)

Q: After following the how-to guide, I lost my Download Mode! Whenever I try to go to Download Mode, it just hangs and show a "Certificate Verify" error!

A: This happens when you followed the "No Downgrade" approach and did not flash Kitkat versions of the "Boot Stack" (persist.img, dbi.img, laf.img, sbl1.img, rpm.img, and tz.img). The how-to guide for "No Downgrade" approach has been updated accordingly to include this step. Those who followed the "Kitkat Downgrade" approach do not need to flash these image files anymore because they are already on Kitkat version.

There is an easy way to do this. XDA member @6ril1 created a TWRP-flashable zip file to automate it. The zip file was originally created for the D855, but you can replace its contents with ".img" files for your LG G3 variant. Just follow the instructions in the link provided.
    3. Flashing

March 15, 2015 Update: these are the steps from the original "No Downgrade" Manual Approach. There is now an automated script called "Imageprep" that makes the process more convenient for you by entering only a single command in the Android Terminal Emulator. Head over to Post #153 for the details!

3. Flashing
    a. Power off the device
    b. Boot to TWRP
    i. Press/hold volume down and power.
    ii. At the “LG Life’s Good” boot screen, release for 1 second and then press/hold volume down and power again. You will see a “Factory Reset” screen.
    iii. Select “Yes”. You will do this twice.
    iv. Device will boot to TWRP custom recovery.​
    c. Flash the “.img” files
    i. In TWRP, select “Install”. Look for Flash2System.zip and flash it. This will take some time.
    ii. Repeat for Flash2Boot.zip.
    iii. Repeat for Flash2Modem.​
    d. Flash the Sharpening Mod script. Select your preferred sharpening level. At the end of the wizard, the script will “bump” your Android Lollipop boot.img.
    e. At the screen where it says “Finished”, click “Next”.
    f. In this screen you will be asked to reboot. Un-select the box for rebooting and exit the script! If you do not un-select, it’s possible that TWRP will skip the prompt to install SuperSU!​
    012%2B-%2BSharpening%2BScript%2BMod.png
    g. Exit the TWRP custom recovery by selecting “Reboot” and then “System”.
    h. You will be prompted that “SuperSU is not installed” and you will be offered to install it. Swipe the slider found at the bottom to install it.
    i. It might take a while for the first reboot especially if you have a lot of user apps installed prior.
    j. You’re done. Congratulations!​