Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,643 Members 39,718 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Hissing sound in earphones

Tip us?

Varming
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q] Hissing sound in earphones

I just received my G3 (the European 855 version) today and wanted to listen to some music from Google Play Music All Access. There is a terrible hiss/crackling sound, especially in the left ear and it's with earphones that (still) sounds fine on my old SGS3. I've tried with 3 different pairs of earphones and it's the same with all of them.

Does anybody else got problems with hissing/crackling sounds from the G3?

Varming
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
I solved this myself - the problem is "only" there if I'm using ART, after going back to Dalvik the problem is gone again.

lossah
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Dont have this problem with my D855. Not with v10a or e. Used this phone with headphones/speakers about 8h/day since release.

Im using ART.

Varming
Old
(Last edited by Varming; Yesterday at 10:52 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Switching back to Dalvik didn't solve it After a reboot the sound is fine but after a while the hiss starts, especially in the left ear. Nobody else got this problem? I'm on v10e with a D855 32GB

UPDATE: I just connected my Fiio and with that to amplify the sound the hiss goes away but as soon as I remove the Fiio the hiss is back again.

olivierdo
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varming View Post
Switching back to Dalvik didn't solve it After a reboot the sound is fine but after a while the hiss starts, especially in the left ear. Nobody else got this problem? I'm on v10e with a D855 32GB

UPDATE: I just connected my Fiio and with that to amplify the sound the hiss goes away but as soon as I remove the Fiio the hiss is back again.
it's a problem.
But it depends what kind of earphones i use, with my sennheiser MOMENTUM it's perfect.

deadkenny64
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:

That seems to point to an impedance issue. It is not in every phone because I use very low impedance IEMs and do not hear it. I have also read reports of it just going away on its own.

Japultra
Old
Thanks Meter 6
This is a kitkat bug that was uncovered last year.

Varming
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japultra View Post
This is a kitkat bug that was uncovered last year.
That doesn't explain why some G3 owners got the problem and others don't as we're all on 4.4.2

Japultra
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
That doesn't explain why some G3 owners got the problem and others don't as we're all on 4.4.2
It's dependent upon the earphones you use.

deadkenny64
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japultra View Post
It's dependent upon the earphones you use.
Except that I have used a variety of different impedance earphones with mine and have never experienced any hiss. I think higher impedance can mask it if it is present but doesn't fix the root cause.