OP cryptonium

5th September 2014, 05:21 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Flag Kuwait City
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
More
Hi all,

Just wanted to share my experience with my G3 (D855). Since I bought it I noticed a very rapid battery drop while the device is apparently doing nothing. I tolerated it for a bit but then decided to try and get to the bottom of it.

First I disabled auto-sync, location services, and bluetooth and immediately noticed a big improvement. Then I experimented with enabling/disabling one or the other and it seems the culprit in my case was location services.

Whenever I enable it and within a few minutes I find my battery drops a couple or more percentage points. So now I have it disabled most of the time unless I absolutely need it.

Just thought I'd share and see if anyone is having the same experience.

So is your experience the same? did you find any way to improve this?

Ahmad
5th September 2014, 05:37 PM   |  #2  
Flag Beirut
Thanks Meter: 21

171 posts
More
where do you live? i don't konw if it's relevant, but i'm lebanese and i'm based in Paris. As soon as i landed in beirut for the summer my battery starting dying very fast. i assume it's because of the bad phone coverage and the bad gps service.

you know, maybe.
5th September 2014, 05:45 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Flag Kuwait City

4 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by karimas

where do you live? i don't konw if it's relevant, but i'm lebanese and i'm based in Paris. As soon as i landed in beirut for the summer my battery starting dying very fast. i assume it's because of the bad phone coverage and the bad gps service.

you know, maybe.

I live in Kuwait City and since I bought the G3 didn't have an opportunity to try it in another country. But I didn't think of this angle because it's a difficult one to test.
5th September 2014, 05:57 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 83

416 posts
You might have some active app in the background using location services.
Roaming eats more battery.
I have GPS, WiFi, 4G and autosync on all the time all days, battery lasts 15-17 hours (sot 3.5-4.5 hrs ) with 30-40% juice left when I plug it to charge at night.
5th September 2014, 06:16 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 39

97 posts
It's a known issue across Android, not just limited to the G3. There's lots to read up here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/goog...6/post48051661

Personally, I've left location services switched on, and my battery life is great - usually have at least 35% battery left at the end of the day, even with fairly heavy use and Google Now enabled. But I've deleted a lot of bloatware that might use up location services excessively (e.g. the preinstalled spyware MLT app) so I don't get a lot of location service wakelocks.
6th September 2014, 02:57 AM   |  #6  
Flag Singapore
Thanks Meter: 76

931 posts
More
My location services is always on and I don't have an issue with the battery, averaging 1 day and 4.5hrs SOT
6th September 2014, 05:55 AM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member
Flag Kuwait City

4 posts
More
Then I think that I should audit all the installed apps that use location services and try to find the culprit.

I really want to keep location services on all the time for geotagging photos and in case I lost my phone.
6th September 2014, 01:26 PM   |  #8  
Flag Singapore
Thanks Meter: 76

931 posts
More
Make sure the location service is battery saving mode, not the high accuracy or GPS only.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread