decrease window size and maximize huge 5.5 inch screen

OP rockbottom8

13th August 2014, 06:10 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 7

207 posts
More
So I have this massive 5.5 inch screen yet even though I have set the font size to minimum I noticed that window sizes are huge! What's the point of having such a big display! I'm not sure if anyone knows how to shrink window sizes/padding of windows, etc. I want to utlize this big screen by maximizing the space. Any help is greatly appreciated.
13th August 2014, 06:16 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 29

112 posts
You can change the dpi if you are rooted. That'll size everything better. 530 dpi is the minimum, and it's too shall for my taste. I went with 560 and is perfect for me. My wife went with like 600 I think.

Sent from my LG-D851 using XDA Free mobile app
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Harmtan2 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th August 2014, 08:26 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

207 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmtan2

You can change the dpi if you are rooted. That'll size everything better. 530 dpi is the minimum, and it's too shall for my taste. I went with 560 and is perfect for me. My wife went with like 600 I think.

Sent from my LG-D851 using XDA Free mobile app

I am rooted. did you just edit the build.prop file? I am also using he xposed framework for the google now launcher modifications. Wonder if I can find something in there to change it globally.
13th August 2014, 08:41 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 55

147 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbottom8

I am rooted. did you just edit the build.prop file? I am also using he xposed framework for the google now launcher modifications. Wonder if I can find something in there to change it globally.

Note: people are reporting success using Texdroider_dpi (in the Play Store). The following instructions are about how I did it without bootloops or errors. I suspect that using Texdroider_dpi would be infinitely easier...

The Challenge

Be careful editing the build.prop directly on the G3. The build prop is so large that many of the editors are truncating it on save, causing major headaches for tweakers. Even many dedicated build.prop editor apps are having this difficulty.

The Workaround:

0. Backup using Nandroid. Also make a build.prop copy.
1. Use adb to copy the build.prop file off your device.
2. Edit the build.prop file on your computer
3. Remount /system as r/w
4. Copy the build.prop back on to /system
5. Reset the attribs of build.prop back to 644 (-rw-r--r--) (DO NOT FORGET!)
6. Reboot.
Last edited by ailima; 15th August 2014 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Added backup + texdroid info
13th August 2014, 08:57 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

207 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ailima

The Challenge

Be careful editing the build.prop directly on the G3. The build prop is so large that many of the editors are truncating it on save, causing major headaches for tweakers. Even many dedicated build.prop editor apps are having this difficulty.

The Workaround:

1. Use adb to copy the build.prop file off your device.
2. Edit the build.prop file on your computer
3. Remount /system as r/w
4. Copy the build.prop back on to /system
5. Reset the attribs of build.prop back to 644 (-rw-r--r--) (DO NOT FORGET!)
6. Reboot.

Wow thanks! I was hoping there would be something I can do with exposed framework instead of editing the build.prop file. Ill have to thread carefully.
13th August 2014, 09:24 PM   |  #6  
Flag York
Thanks Meter: 1,518

3,715 posts
Donate to Me
More
Use Texdroid editor from the playstore to edit your DPI or to edit individual apps use the module in Xposed. - Don't edit the build prop unless you really have too.. way too many people having bootloops and issues because of it.
The Following User Says Thank You to radicalisto For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th August 2014, 01:18 AM   |  #7  
Flag Atlanta, Ga.
Thanks Meter: 789

1,729 posts
Donate to Me
More
another vote for the texdroider application. works on ART and Dalvik

and I set my DPI to 540
15th August 2014, 08:17 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 55

147 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by radicalisto

Use Texdroid editor from the playstore to edit your DPI or to edit individual apps use the module in Xposed. - Don't edit the build prop unless you really have too.. way too many people having bootloops and issues because of it.

I had downloaded Texdroid but didn't use it. After Rom Manager or Android Tuner (both which I love and have used for years) munged my build.prop ... I said "whatever" and just edited it by hand on a computer as per somebody else's suggestion (I forget who or I'd give kudos here).

It sounds like Texdroid works for people ... So that would be a lot easier.
16th August 2014, 03:52 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 61

376 posts
More
560 DPI here. Slightly bigger than my nexus 4,but I'm happy with it so far.

Sent from my LG G3
16th August 2014, 06:02 AM   |  #10  
Flag Curitiba
Thanks Meter: 4

13 posts
More
What's the lowest DPI you guys got without breaking the default LG homescreen widget? I have tried 530 and 540 and the widget always stops working, it gets transparent and only the text is visible.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread