Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,869 Members 39,246 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Enable tethering on LG G3 D850

Tip us?

AllstarE4
Old
Thanks Meter 39
So I'm still thinking that even though we can use this workaround to make it functional, att will still see that those of us on the grandfathered unlimited data are tethering and will change our plans automatically.

Sent from my LG-P930 using XDA Free mobile app
Phone: LG G3 D850
Carrier: AT&T

drock212
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllstarE4 View Post
So I'm still thinking that even though we can use this workaround to make it functional, att will still see that those of us on the grandfathered unlimited data are tethering and will change our plans automatically.

Strong possibility... On my s4 I used the xtether xposed module which circumvents them checking for the provisioning and they didn't catch on. Idk if that module hides your Internet usage through a proxy or what but they didn't catch on. Unfortunately we probably won't be able to test this since no one wants to risk losing their unlimited plan. We need an AT&T insider to tell us basically

Sent from my LG-D850 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

AllstarE4
Old
(Last edited by AllstarE4; 29th July 2014 at 10:58 PM.)
Thanks Meter 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by drock212 View Post
Strong possibility... On my s4 I used the xtether xposed module which circumvents them checking for the provisioning and they didn't catch on. Idk if that module hides your Internet usage through a proxy or what but they didn't catch on. Unfortunately we probably won't be able to test this since no one wants to risk losing their unlimited plan. We need an AT&T insider to tell us basically

Sent from my LG-D850 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Yeah it's going to have to come down to insider information. I was lucky enough to find out the hard way that they are not joking and will cancel your unlimited plan when they find you tethering.

I was so frustrated with throttling halfway through my last billing cycle that I almost switched to the mobile share data plan. That one allows tethering, but I still prefer my unlimited plan.

Sent from my LG-D850 using XDA Free mobile app

TheAfroGuy
Old
Thanks Meter 39
I'm an AT&T rep, and I can tell you that the 'Unlimited' plan is only unlimited in terms of no overages. There is a hard throttle at 5GBs of data, and users that continue to use past this receive multiple warnings, and notations on their account.

As far as tethering goes, just don't do it in huge spurts. Spread sporadically, the system won't catch on. But use 9GBs in one day, in a small window of time, and the system will most definitely catch on.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheAfroGuy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

AllstarE4
Old
Thanks Meter 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAfroGuy View Post
I'm an AT&T rep, and I can tell you that the 'Unlimited' plan is only unlimited in terms of no overages. There is a hard throttle at 5GBs of data, and users that continue to use past this receive multiple warnings, and notations on their account.

As far as tethering goes, just don't do it in huge spurts. Spread sporadically, the system won't catch on. But use 9GBs in one day, in a small window of time, and the system will most definitely catch on.
This is exactly the information I needed. On occasion (once a month or so) I need to view a map while away from the house on my wifi-only tablet and would have to tether to do so. I can now do that without too much fear.

As for notifications or warnings about data usage, I never receive anything. I'm not worried about that part, but strange that I don't get anything.

Thanks for the information. Much appreciated.