OP hawkswind1

19th August 2014, 03:28 PM   |  #21  
Flag Amsterdam
Thanks Meter: 41

202 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimaryComplex

Finally done with the mod. After checking taking the phone apart i feel the best option to go is a 0.5mm thermal pad/copper shim. The added thickness should put a little more pressure on the SoC for better heat transfer.

Can report the same 9C difference on idle from 54 to 52.

Antutu scores:
Before: 31438
After: 36099

Load temp max from 73 to 64.

Strangely everything feels smoother but could just be bias on my end.

Do you have pics? And how is the sensation at the screen area just above the processor? is it warmer? or you can't feel any difference?
19th August 2014, 03:36 PM   |  #22  
Thanks Meter: 10

42 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbarker2

Can you link to the exact materials you used? The thermal pad/paste. Thanks.

I used a 15x15x0.5mm Copper shim. Thermal pads may be better as they give a cushioning effect compared to the shim. I used prolimatech PK-3 for the SoC-Shim side and CLU on the Shim-Plate side. Of course that isn't necessary you can just use any paste available.

PK-3
CLU
Copper Shim

Quote:
Originally Posted by biustech

Do you have pics? And how is the sensation at the screen area just above the processor? is it warmer? or you can't feel any difference?

Couldn't take pics as i didn't have any other cam to take pics with. No difference as my phone was already getting warm anyway, well a difference is that the heat seems a bit more spread out now. I used to feel it concentrated on the top portion where the chip is but now its just a general warmth on the entire top half.
The Following User Says Thank You to PrimaryComplex For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th August 2014, 03:40 PM   |  #23  
Flag Amsterdam
Thanks Meter: 41

202 posts
More
Quote:

I used a 15x15x0.5mm Copper shim. Thermal pads may be better as they give a cushioning effect compared to the shim. I used prolimatech PK-3 for the SoC-Shim side and CLU on the Shim-Plate side. Of course that isn't necessary you can just use any paste available.

PK-3
CLU
Copper Shim

Couldn't take pics as i didn't have any other cam to take pics with. No difference as my phone was already getting warm anyway, well a difference is that the heat seems a bit more spread out now. I used to feel it concentrated on the top portion where the chip is but now its just a general warmth on the entire top half.

Awesome! I will try to find the copper and i will definitely do this! If i do i will take some pics and post them here
20th August 2014, 12:58 PM   |  #24  
Flag Kundl / Austria
Thanks Meter: 29

191 posts
More
Quote:

PK-3
CLU
Copper Shim

Hello, can i also take a liquid matal pad?

Gesendet von meinem LG-D855 mit Tapatalk
21st August 2014, 05:19 AM   |  #25  
Flag Amsterdam, NY
Thanks Meter: 1,010

4,954 posts
How difficult was the phone to take apart? iFixit rated it pretty low I think.

Sent from my LG-D851
21st August 2014, 01:57 PM   |  #26  
Flag Porto
Thanks Meter: 7

10 posts
More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skizzy034

How difficult was the phone to take apart? iFixit rated it pretty low I think.

Sent from my LG-D851

Its actually very easy. Ifixit has yet to rate it, but others have and it is one of the easiest around

http://www.ubreakifix.com/blog/lg-g3-teardown/ (8/10 score)
Last edited by ISilva_PT; 21st August 2014 at 02:02 PM.
24th August 2014, 08:25 PM   |  #27  
Thanks Meter: 82

572 posts
More
Maybe there's a reason why LG didn't put a thermal pad on the cpu (besides saving a few $$$). I'm not sure that this mod is a safe mod.
25th August 2014, 12:43 AM   |  #28  
Thanks Meter: 10

42 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by liamR

Maybe there's a reason why LG didn't put a thermal pad on the cpu (besides saving a few $$$). I'm not sure that this mod is a safe mod.

The metal plate was never designed to be heat sink in the first place. This isn't something recommended unless you understand the impact of what you're doing. The mod runs the risk or burning your screen.
4th September 2014, 11:08 PM   |  #29  
Flag Nashua
Thanks Meter: 12

55 posts
More
Quote:

The metal plate was never designed to be heat sink in the first place. This isn't something recommended unless you understand the impact of what you're doing. The mod runs the risk or burning your screen.

Have you noticed any issues with the screen after a week plus with the mod?

I just modded mine tonight with the same setup you used and I do notice that the screen gets noticably hotter than before. Although I notice a reduction in thermal throttling in games, CPU temps hover at around 60C now instead of 70-75C when playing games which would throttle down to 1100mhz.

I'll post pics later.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread