Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

If you could, would you use the Moto G for a year and wait for the LG G4?

OP whyhellothere1

29th August 2014, 02:10 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 6

13 posts
I've been following this phone for a while, and while I think it'll be the best flagship out this cycle for me, I'm still not too happy with the fact that it's an 801 processor trying to push a 1440p screen.

I'm still split between waiting out about a year for the G4 while using the Moto G or just taking the plunge and getting this phone. Hopefully an 810 processor (or 808 at the worst) should be able to handle the screen without battery/heat/staggering issues.

For people who've used this phone for a while, if you could return your G3 for a full refund and wait for the G4 with a Moto G, would you?
Last edited by whyhellothere1; 29th August 2014 at 02:24 AM.
29th August 2014, 02:16 AM   |  #2  
Flag Huddersfield
Thanks Meter: 284

1,311 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by whyhellothere1

I've been following this phone for a while, and while I think it'll be the best flagship out this cycle for me, I'm still not too happy with the fact that it's an 801 processor trying to push a 1440p screen.

I'm still split between waiting out about a year for the G4 while using the Moto G or just taking the plunge and getting this phone. Hopefully an 810 processor (or 808 at the worst) should be able to handle the screen without battery/heat/staggering issues.

If you could return your G3 for a full refund and wait for the G4 with a Moto G, would you?

As mentioned by someone else, the screen resolution hardly impacts performance, the 801 chip can handle a 4k screen pretty easily, the problem lies with optimisations, the G2 was the same when it came out, but software updates made it the phone we know for speed today.

, I personally have no heating issues on software 10H, lag does exist but its just a few frame rates, its as fast as any other 801 at opening apps. The moto G is a nice phone, your best bet is holding out until LG fix issues with a software update.
29th August 2014, 02:28 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 104

530 posts
I have both a Verizon prepaid MotoG and just recently a Verizon LG G3. Both are very nice phones. I use the G3 though.
29th August 2014, 03:03 AM   |  #4  
Flag Singapore
Thanks Meter: 86

1,044 posts
More
Yup.. on initial my firmware 10b alot of people were quick to judge the capability of the 801 due to the micro-stutters.
Right now I'm on 10j and all seems well. You'll be surprised how well the 801 handles the 1440p display.

And for your question.. personally, no. The G4 will bring in more unknown issues and satisfaction will never be there. If budget is an issue, then wait and save up. If not, I rather just get the latest and greatest right now.
I sense alot of people are eagerly waiting for a 805 device but the fact is it's aint leaps better. The nVidia K1 is a better beast. So I'm sensing if the G4 may not be alot better than the G3 depending on the chip they use. And if they go beyond 5.5", I'm totally out. Smartphone technology seemed to be saturated at this moment.
29th August 2014, 03:17 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 0

15 posts
One can always wait for the next greatest product. We don't know anything about the G4 so how can anyone advise you to wait for it - or not?
29th August 2014, 03:40 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 3

29 posts
When do you think the g4 will come out? That seems like a long wait..

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
29th August 2014, 03:54 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 29

113 posts
I think that issues you mention is software maturity problem. Mostly solved in 10j firmware. It play games smoothly so i dont see any problem with 801 on 1440p, maybe in benchmark but i dont play bench.
Im not gonna trade G3 with any other phone at the moment.
29th August 2014, 05:37 AM   |  #8  
Flag Jakarta
Thanks Meter: 44

276 posts
Donate to Me
More
If Xiaomi Redmi 1s arrived earlier in my country, I'd bought it first then wait for Nexus 6...
But I'm satisfied with my G3 now.
29th August 2014, 08:01 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 24

184 posts
The phone (G3) is great but if you feel no reason to upgrade, I'd say wait.
There's always going to be something better around the corner.
If anything, wait until you're so intrigued by a phone that you don't have to ask yourself that question and you'll just go along and buy it.
New Tegras on the way, those should be nice.
30th August 2014, 04:50 AM   |  #10  
Flag Sierre Madre
Thanks Meter: 66

180 posts
More
So the G4 won't have any issues? Once any flagship device drops you can be assured that there will be issues associated with that device.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread