Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,477 Members 41,688 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Fix for creaking battery cover.

Tip us?

JeffyLube0
Old
(Last edited by JeffyLube0; 6th August 2014 at 11:10 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 63
Default Fix for creaking battery cover.

I noticed my G3 creaked a lot when gripping it a certain way. I figured a little creaking is normal (coming from unibody HTC One m7). Checked my girlfriends g3 and it had no creaking whatsoever. Based on information from a different forum, i placed a folded up piece of paper between the battery and the battery door. This literally eliminated all creaking. I was concerned with the safety of this method so i removed it. After this i was playing with the battery cover and was able to bend it in ( so it's tight with the battery) and have virtually made it creak free!

Hope this helps anybody else whos OCD was nagging at them [emoji14]

UPDATE: Basically its caused by the battery being loose. Some batteries fit tighter than others. This can explain why some people have no creaking at all and others do.
Addicted to the Venom

KiNG OMaR
Old
Thanks Meter 406

DONATE TO ME
I'll give it a try.. The phone creaking was starting to irritate me

hawkswind1
Old
Thanks Meter 34
Mine was rubbing against the volume/power button area when i pressed the area making an annoying creak sound. I sanded the inside lip of the back cover just a little bit with a small piece of nail file.

Sensamic
Old
Thanks Meter 68
Please tell me this is not true!

The G2 back cover also creaked and I hated it!

JeffyLube0
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 63
I think the cause is that the battery is a little bit loose and when the phone is flexed the battery will rub. The only solution I've found to COMPLETELY eliminate the creak is with the folded paper trick...

Odd that my girlfriends G3 (white) is completely creak free.
Addicted to the Venom

justinswidebody
Old
Thanks Meter 592

DONATE TO ME
If you feel it's the battery area, then try putting multiple pieces of electrical tape on the back of the battery. Therefore when you take off the back cover you don't have to worry about a card falling out.

Sent from my LGLS990 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to justinswidebody For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

JeffyLube0
Old
(Last edited by JeffyLube0; 6th August 2014 at 11:09 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 63
UPDATE: Any creaking you hear on your G3 is caused by the battery itself, NOT the phone or the battery door. I swapped batteries with my girlfriends G3 and I was not able to reproduce the creaking.

Basically its caused by the battery being loose. Some batteries fit tighter than others. This can explain why some people have no creaking at all and others do.

Regards
Addicted to the Venom

ChrisM75
Old
Thanks Meter 126
I used a thermal pad on my G2 to prevent creaking. You can get them in a variety of thicknesses, but usually a 0.5mm one is fine. Not only will it stop creaking, but it will also help remove heat from the battery.

Put the sticky side against the battery and leave the backing on the other side. Its not really that sticky, mores lightly tacky, so even if you remove all the backing it wont stick the back to the phone.

Something like these..

http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/p/Ph...lex_21070.html

leomd333
Old
(Last edited by leomd333; 8th August 2014 at 01:23 AM.)
Thanks Meter 37
Mine is like a rock, no creaks at all ^_^ (unless I bend it, but that aint exactly real world usage..)My G2 creaked like mad though!

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Current Device: LG G3

Previous Devices: LG G2, Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Note, Sony Xperia U, ZTE Skate/Orange Monte Carlo, BlackBerry 8520, LG KS360, LG Cookie, LG Chocolate, Sony Ericsson K750i.