[GUIDE][ROOT] Newest Root Method for LG devices

Search This thread

digital-bug

Nov 12, 2012
Nova Lima
Hi!

This is the newest root method for LG lollipop devices.

Try this method if the original guide or the original one-click guide don't work for you.

Features:
  • This is a script for Send_Command.exe. Newest LG stock roms hate shell scripts.
  • With a trick, I found a new way to remount /system in new roms as read-write.
  • It will install SuperSU without flash nor override any device partition (means: no TWRP nor kitkat stack bootloader in this script).
  • Tested with LG G3 D855P (20B). But may work with others LG lollipop devices.

Advises:
  • This method is for lollipop ONLY!
  • Don't try to run this script if your device is already rooted!
  • TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Pre-requisites:

Confirmed devices:
  • LG G2
    • D802 (30D)
    • D805 (30A)
  • LG G3
    • D850 (21Q 21R)
    • D851 (20E 20G)
    • D852 (20F 20G)
    • D855 (20G 20H 20I 20M 20P 20S 20T 20U 21A)
    • D855K (20F)
    • D855P (20B 20C)
    • D858HK (20D)
    • F400K (20I 20N)
    • F460S (20M)
    • VS985 (24B)
  • LG GPAD
    • 8.0 V490 (20A)

At the moment, not working with:
  • LG G3
    • AS990 (20A)
    • F460K (20J)
  • LG G4
    • H815
    • H815P

My device isn't in the "Confirmed devices" list. Can I try anyway?
  • Since you are using lollipop, there is no big risk for your device.
  • But, in the worst case (if your device doesn't boot), you can enter in Download Mode and flash your rom again using the LG Flash Tool. And with the "Normal Flash" option you won't lose any personal data in your device.
  • Using this root method, there is *NO RISK* (in theory) of your device lose the Download Mode. So, go ahead and try it! And please, don't forget to tell us your feedback! :fingers-crossed:

Ok.... Let's go!

First method: Using the easy way with one-click script.
Script and zipfile maitained by @NBreunig3. Questions about this method should be directed to him.

Download and extract the zip file: http://bit.ly/1Ln9FKB
Then, exec the root.bat script.

Second method: Using the classic way.

1. Enable ADB debugging
    1. Go to Settings > About Phone > Software Information and tap build number until you are presented with "You are now a developer".
    2. Back to Settings screen.
    3. In Developer Options, enable USB Debugging.

2. Insert the USB cable

3. Send the required files to the device
    Code:
    adb.exe push busybox /data/local/tmp && adb.exe push UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip /data/local/tmp
    ab41mc.png

4. Go to Download Mode
    1. Disconnect the USB cable.
    2. Power off the device.
    3. Hold volume up and insert the USB cable.

5. Find which COM port your device is connected
    Look for the DIAG port.
    Code:
    ports.bat
    35lvuoj.png

6. Run the root installer script
    Change the COMx with the correct port number of the DIAG port.
    Code:
    Send_Command.exe \\.\COMx < root
    Send_Command.exe \\.\COMx < reboot
    2ltgnt.png

Feedbacks are welcome! :good:

Credits:
@Chainfire for SuperSU
@Unjustified Dev for original guide
@avicohh for original one-click guide
@high247 for ports.bat
@NBreunig3 for one-click script

Attachments

• New_LG_Root_v0.1_by_dig.zip
    4.8 MB · Views: 67,590
Last edited:

L11

Feb 28, 2005
Ports.bat doesn't seem to be included in the zip file? Should I be obtaining it from elsewhere?

eidt* I got it from the previous archive. After trying 4 different root methods, this one finally worked for me! Doesn't include TWRP but I just used autorec from the play store.

Many thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: brknglass

kingas969

Nov 16, 2009
I'm having problems with root on v20i using virtualbox on Mac windows 8.1 after root command just stops
Thanks

Sent from my LG-D855 using XDA Free mobile app

bluefire153

Dec 10, 2011
Work perfect for D855 20i! All other methods are not worked. Thanks a lot! <3

---------- Post added at 08:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 AM ----------

I'm having problems with root on v20i using virtualbox on Mac windows 8.1 after root command just stops
Thanks

Sent from my LG-D855 using XDA Free mobile app

This method works on my D855 v20i like a charm. Try use a normal Windows laptop. :) Good luck

digital-bug

Nov 12, 2012
Nova Lima
can confirm working for D852 on v20f. Thanks a lot!

Has someone tried this on Korean variant?

Hello guys!

I don't know. But I encourage you to be the first to try it!

Since you are using lollipop, there is no big risk to your device.

But, in the worst case (if your device doesn't boot), you can enter in Download Mode and flash your rom again using the LG Flash Tool. And with the "Normal Flash" option you won't lose any data in your device.

Using this root method, there is *NO RISK* to your device lose the Download Mode. So, go ahead and try it! :)

Please, don't forget to tell us your feedback!

Reactions: milanioom

nightguy13

Jun 8, 2015
Does not work with LG-AS99020a 5.0.1 :(

Gosh, I was so excited to try it 'cause a lot of people had success with this :|

kwongwt

Sep 23, 2008
Thanks buddy! Finally rooted my Hong Kong D855 (stock 20h)!

I don't know why LG has made it so difficult to root their phones . I've been trying every thing for the last week without success.

_yaz_

Dec 15, 2011
D855 w/v20i-EUR confirmed (again) :)

thanx a lot !!!

the only issue observed so far was with LGBackup. it started to update immediately on phone reboot but stopped with service failure. i don't really care about it but maybe it's worth to mention.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi!

This is the newest root method for LG lollipop devices.

Try this method if the original guide or the original one-click guide don't work for you.

Features:
    • This is a script for Send_Command.exe. Newest LG stock roms hate shell scripts.
    • With a trick, I found a new way to remount /system in new roms as read-write.
    • It will install SuperSU without flash nor override any device partition (means: no TWRP nor kitkat stack bootloader in this script).
    • Tested with LG G3 D855P (20B). But may work with others LG lollipop devices.

Advises:
    • This method is for lollipop ONLY!
    • Don't try to run this script if your device is already rooted!
    • TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Pre-requisites:

Confirmed devices:
    • LG G2
      • D802 (30D)
      • D805 (30A)
    • LG G3
      • D850 (21Q 21R)
      • D851 (20E 20G)
      • D852 (20F 20G)
      • D855 (20G 20H 20I 20M 20P 20S 20T 20U 21A)
      • D855K (20F)
      • D855P (20B 20C)
      • D858HK (20D)
      • F400K (20I 20N)
      • F460S (20M)
      • VS985 (24B)
    • LG GPAD
      • 8.0 V490 (20A)

At the moment, not working with:
    • LG G3
      • AS990 (20A)
      • F460K (20J)
    • LG G4
      • H815
      • H815P

My device isn't in the "Confirmed devices" list. Can I try anyway?
    • Since you are using lollipop, there is no big risk for your device.
    • But, in the worst case (if your device doesn't boot), you can enter in Download Mode and flash your rom again using the LG Flash Tool. And with the "Normal Flash" option you won't lose any personal data in your device.
    • Using this root method, there is *NO RISK* (in theory) of your device lose the Download Mode. So, go ahead and try it! And please, don't forget to tell us your feedback! :fingers-crossed:

Ok.... Let's go!

First method: Using the easy way with one-click script.
    Script and zipfile maitained by @NBreunig3. Questions about this method should be directed to him.

Download and extract the zip file: http://bit.ly/1Ln9FKB
    Then, exec the root.bat script.

Second method: Using the classic way.

1. Enable ADB debugging
      1. Go to Settings > About Phone > Software Information and tap build number until you are presented with "You are now a developer".
      2. Back to Settings screen.
      3. In Developer Options, enable USB Debugging.

2. Insert the USB cable

3. Send the required files to the device
      Code:
      adb.exe push busybox /data/local/tmp && adb.exe push UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip /data/local/tmp
      ab41mc.png

4. Go to Download Mode
      1. Disconnect the USB cable.
      2. Power off the device.
      3. Hold volume up and insert the USB cable.

5. Find which COM port your device is connected
      Look for the DIAG port.
      Code:
      ports.bat
      35lvuoj.png

6. Run the root installer script
      Change the COMx with the correct port number of the DIAG port.
      Code:
      Send_Command.exe \\.\COMx < root
      Send_Command.exe \\.\COMx < reboot
      2ltgnt.png

Feedbacks are welcome! :good:

Credits:
    @Chainfire for SuperSU
    @Unjustified Dev for original guide
    @avicohh for original one-click guide
    @high247 for ports.bat
    @NBreunig3 for one-click script
    is this TWRP also direct installed ?
    [/COLOR]
    I am sorry for the stupid question but can someone please help me out with this?
    I've downloaded the required file from the OP, put it onto my desktop
    I plug my phone in, I have the debugging mode enabled than I start command prompt and copy paste the line I quoted, but nothing happens.
    What am I doing wrong? Do I need to have the downloaded folder to be on my C:\ as shown in the OP?
    I have the D855 running v20i

Thanks!

You should access the folder that you download on cmd. Inside this folder, is the adb executable.
    For example, if your folder is on C:\Users\User1\Desktop\New_LG_Root_v0.1_by_dig, you should first, do this command on cmd:

cd C:\Users\User1\Desktop\New_LG_Root_v0.1_by_dig

With this, the cmd will 'enter' in the folder and then you can call adb.exe
    Feedback and Confirmation

Hi @digital-bug,

Thanks by the way for our quick conversation. I'm almost done adding this to ImageprepGUI.

I can confirm the following:

1. It worked for my D858HK dual-SIM (firmware version: 20D...Build Number: LRX22G).
    2. Attempting to re-root an LG G3 that was rooted with this method will cause it to not boot fully. Users will notice that the LED will flash green and blue. If this happens, users will have to do a full reflash.
    3. I'm not sure if my firmware version is not affected by "newer LG G3's dislike Shell scripts for rooting", since maybe the other LG G3 variants have newer firmware so I can't tell the difference between the existing root methods (using a Linux Shell script) versus this one (which is practically a "direct entry" method via "piping" the commands from a file).
    4. Since I can't tell the difference (or because my current firmware is not yet implementing the "disliking of Shell scripts"), what I did with ImageprepGUI is to offer both root options, which users can choose from.

Bottomline: since there are now two methods of rooting, users will just need to be aware and careful that if they decide to switch between the two rooting methods, they cannot simply re-root. They must back up their files first, do a full re-flash, and then try the other method (and vice-versa). I already tried re-rooting without backing up (I tested it myself for everyone's convenience) and the result is that my device will not boot to normal Android OS. It was just stuck at the booting "black LG Life's Good" screen with the LED flashing blue and green.
    It's done on my T-Mobile version G3 (D851) 20e.

Here is the rundown

Code:
    C:\>cd C:\Users\Matthew\Downloads\New_LG_Root_v0.1_by_dig\New_LG_Root_v0.1_by_dig

C:\Users\Matthew\Downloads\New_LG_Root_v0.1_by_dig\New_LG_Root_v0.1_by_dig>ports.bat

C:\Users\Matthew\Downloads\New_LG_Root_v0.1_by_dig\New_LG_Root_v0.1_by_dig>reg query HKLM\hardware\devicemap\SERIALCOMM

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\hardware\devicemap\SERIALCOMM
        \Device\LGANDNETMDM0    REG_SZ    COM3
        \Device\LGANDNETDIAG1    REG_SZ    COM4

C:\Users\Matthew\Downloads\New_LG_Root_v0.1_by_dig\New_LG_Root_v0.1_by_dig>pause

Press any key to continue . . .

C:\Users\Matthew\Downloads\New_LG_Root_v0.1_by_dig\New_LG_Root_v0.1_by_dig>Send_Command.exe \\.\COM4 < root
    Author : blog.lvu.kr
    SPECIAL COMMAND : ENTER, LEAVE

###########

root installer for LG (lollipop)
    ..... by digital-bug @XDA

##

remounting /system (rw)

#######

extracting SuperSU

#####

installing SuperSU

###################################################################################

remounting /system (ro)

#####

cleanup

######

done!
    please press control+c to exit...

#^C
    C:\Users\Matthew\Downloads\New_LG_Root_v0.1_by_dig\New_LG_Root_v0.1_by_dig>Send_Command.exe \\.\COM4 < reboot
    Author : blog.lvu.kr
    SPECIAL COMMAND : ENTER, LEAVE

#
    C:\Users\Matthew\Downloads\New_LG_Root_v0.1_by_dig\New_LG_Root_v0.1_by_dig>

A side note:
    The port number must be with LGANDNETDIAG1.

It may take few minutes to make SuperSU to work after rooted. Please be patient.