[GUIDE] Unroot for OTA using LG PC Suite (PC Only)

Search This thread

Lennyuk

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 26, 2010
Suffolk, England
This guide is for use on rooted stock roms to restore the phone to a position where it will accept OTA updates.

Please note the following:

1. It does not wipe the /data/ partition of your device.
2. It will reinstall any bloat you have uninstalled including those apps that you carrier put into /data/
3. It will remove any files you have added to /system/ including root or other modifications
4. Any files you have "frozen" will stay disabled, you cannot unfreeze them without rooting again - this guide will be for a "full unroot" so there is an optional step below to unfreeze apps.

The Guide

1. Download LG PC Suite from LG's website - you must select model type before you do so, but as far as I can tell it downloads the same version regardless.

2. Update the app so it recognises the G3 - this should ask you to update automatically on opening the app, if not you can do it from the "help" menu.

(NB: if you have used some of the KDZ flashing methods on here you may have issues updating as your hosts file is probably altered to block the PC Suite gaining a connection).

3. Connect the phone via USB (the app allows for a wifi connection but this is very restrictive, you require a USB connection for this).

*OPTIONAL STEP* If you want to go back to a truly stock experience then unfreeze any apps you have frozen (I am unsure if having apps frozen will effect OTA installations, it should still work fine, in theory).

4. With the device connected go to the "phone" menu in PC Suite and select the option that says "Restore Upgrade Errors".

5. It will then scan your device, download the rom and begin flashing, this is all automatic without any further input from you, do not cancel it.

6. The phone will reboot when finished. You are now unrooted and unmodified and OTA's should work.

*OPTIONAL STEP* If you want to go back to 100% stock then its probably a good idea to factory reset your phone at this point - this will wipe your whole device (of course).

And there you have it, your quick(ish), painless method for being able to unroot to accept OTA's without requiring a wipe.

Last edited:

Protagoras

Feb 26, 2014
London
Nice thanks Lenny, that may be handy. I'm supposed to receive mine today from Amazon.de, will play around a lot with root / unroot :)

Tarzan-

Account currently disabled
Mar 22, 2012
https://t.me/pump_upp
t.me
Strange. Every time I click on restore errors it hangs for 30 secs and then LGpcsuite exe stopped working message and it stops. Any ideas ? I'm using windows 7 64bit and all drivers installed, pc recognizes phone.

Lennyuk

Jan 26, 2010
Suffolk, England
Strange. Every time I click on restore errors it hangs for 30 secs and then LGpcsuite exe stopped working message and it stops. Any ideas ? I'm using windows 7 64bit and all drivers installed, pc recognizes phone.

Could be a conflict with something else - to get it working for me I had to delete all traces of LG from the pc - all LG apps, drivers (including using USBDeview) and start over.

medicus07

Feb 6, 2012
Neustadt, Germany
First of all, thank you for your detailed tutorial. Yesterday I have had the same idea... can someone confirm this theory... though there is no update for international version yet, someone with the korean model?

Lennyuk

Jan 26, 2010
Suffolk, England
First of all, thank you for your detailed tutorial. Yesterday I have had the same idea... can someone confirm this theory... though there is no update for international version yet, someone with the korean model?

I tested this theory yesterday, albeit without an OTA - it does replace all modified and removed files in /system/ as well as removing any files you have added such as root or xposed.

There is no reason for the phone to continue to report that it has been modified, certainly if you take my final optional step and couple this restore with a factory reset.

radicalisto

Nov 13, 2013
York
Gotta love it when manufacturers make it simple to go back to 100% stock without any real messing around. Thanks for this :good:

Tarzan-

Mar 22, 2012
t.me
I tested this theory yesterday, albeit without an OTA - it does replace all modified and removed files in /system/ as well as removing any files you have added such as root or xposed.

There is no reason for the phone to continue to report that it has been modified, certainly if you take my final optional step and couple this restore with a factory reset.

Ok I fixed my issue, PC suite crashing by running it as admin on windows. When I run to "fix errors" it says I'm running latest version. When I check OTA on my phone there is an update which obviously don't run after download because I'm rooted. I'm out of ideas :confused:

Reactions: 18lama

Lennyuk

Jan 26, 2010
Suffolk, England
Ok I fixed my issue, PC suite crashing by running it as admin on windows. When I run to "fix errors" it says I'm running latest version. When I check OTA on my phone there is an update which obviously don't run after download because I'm rooted. I'm out of ideas :confused:

fixing errors is a reflash to fix a problem, it shouldn't matter what version your on, are you sure you didn't click the check for updates button by error?

Tarzan-

Mar 22, 2012
t.me
You should't have root access after using the fix upgrade function...

No, before fix upgrade. Actually I never get to download the firmware.

fixing errors is a reflash to fix a problem, it shouldn't matter what version your on, are you sure you didn't click the check for updates button by error?

As I said I never get this option. It keeps on saying you have the latest version and that is it.

Tarzan-

Mar 22, 2012
t.me

Attachments

• 1st.jpg
    1st.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 2,230

Baccer

May 12, 2010
Stuttgart
Perfect

Lenny thx alot. I was waiting for that. Because I wanted to make sure I can have OTA and root.

great :highfive::good::)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This guide is for use on rooted stock roms to restore the phone to a position where it will accept OTA updates.

Please note the following:

1. It does not wipe the /data/ partition of your device.
    2. It will reinstall any bloat you have uninstalled including those apps that you carrier put into /data/
    3. It will remove any files you have added to /system/ including root or other modifications
    4. Any files you have "frozen" will stay disabled, you cannot unfreeze them without rooting again - this guide will be for a "full unroot" so there is an optional step below to unfreeze apps.

The Guide

1. Download LG PC Suite from LG's website - you must select model type before you do so, but as far as I can tell it downloads the same version regardless.

2. Update the app so it recognises the G3 - this should ask you to update automatically on opening the app, if not you can do it from the "help" menu.

(NB: if you have used some of the KDZ flashing methods on here you may have issues updating as your hosts file is probably altered to block the PC Suite gaining a connection).

3. Connect the phone via USB (the app allows for a wifi connection but this is very restrictive, you require a USB connection for this).

*OPTIONAL STEP* If you want to go back to a truly stock experience then unfreeze any apps you have frozen (I am unsure if having apps frozen will effect OTA installations, it should still work fine, in theory).

4. With the device connected go to the "phone" menu in PC Suite and select the option that says "Restore Upgrade Errors".

5. It will then scan your device, download the rom and begin flashing, this is all automatic without any further input from you, do not cancel it.

6. The phone will reboot when finished. You are now unrooted and unmodified and OTA's should work.

*OPTIONAL STEP* If you want to go back to 100% stock then its probably a good idea to factory reset your phone at this point - this will wipe your whole device (of course).

And there you have it, your quick(ish), painless method for being able to unroot to accept OTA's without requiring a wipe.

Worked perfectly. Thank you for replying.

Thanks for this. Been holding off on root until a proper method was posted. I have the 3UK D855 model so hopefully should have no issues
    I can't get my Verizon G3 to connect to PC Suite either. Tried on 2 different PCs too.

I did the update to the newest version. I installed the Verizon unified drivers that I got in the ioroot thread and also tried the drivers that can be downloaded through PC Suite. I also can't connect via wifi.

Any other way to get back to stock as it looks like I need to swap my phone as it's defective.

LG flash tool.