Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[GUIDE] Unroot for OTA using LG PC Suite (PC Only)

OP Lennyuk

2nd July 2014, 10:30 AM   |  #1  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Essex, England
Thanks Meter: 1,644

6,067 posts
Donate to Me
More
This guide is for use on rooted stock roms to restore the phone to a position where it will accept OTA updates.

Please note the following:

1. It does not wipe the /data/ partition of your device.
2. It will reinstall any bloat you have uninstalled including those apps that you carrier put into /data/
3. It will remove any files you have added to /system/ including root or other modifications
4. Any files you have "frozen" will stay disabled, you cannot unfreeze them without rooting again - this guide will be for a "full unroot" so there is an optional step below to unfreeze apps.

The Guide

1. Download LG PC Suite from LG's website - you must select model type before you do so, but as far as I can tell it downloads the same version regardless.

2. Update the app so it recognises the G3 - this should ask you to update automatically on opening the app, if not you can do it from the "help" menu.

(NB: if you have used some of the KDZ flashing methods on here you may have issues updating as your hosts file is probably altered to block the PC Suite gaining a connection).

3. Connect the phone via USB (the app allows for a wifi connection but this is very restrictive, you require a USB connection for this).

*OPTIONAL STEP* If you want to go back to a truly stock experience then unfreeze any apps you have frozen (I am unsure if having apps frozen will effect OTA installations, it should still work fine, in theory).

4. With the device connected go to the "phone" menu in PC Suite and select the option that says "Restore Upgrade Errors".

5. It will then scan your device, download the rom and begin flashing, this is all automatic without any further input from you, do not cancel it.

6. The phone will reboot when finished. You are now unrooted and unmodified and OTA's should work.

*OPTIONAL STEP* If you want to go back to 100% stock then its probably a good idea to factory reset your phone at this point - this will wipe your whole device (of course).

And there you have it, your quick(ish), painless method for being able to unroot to accept OTA's without requiring a wipe.
Last edited by Lennyuk; 2nd July 2014 at 01:05 PM.
The Following 62 Users Say Thank You to Lennyuk For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd July 2014, 10:33 AM   |  #2  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 38

168 posts
Donate to Me
More
Nice thanks Lenny, that may be handy. I'm supposed to receive mine today from Amazon.de, will play around a lot with root / unroot
2nd July 2014, 11:17 AM   |  #3  
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 101

267 posts
More
Strange. Every time I click on restore errors it hangs for 30 secs and then LGpcsuite exe stopped working message and it stops. Any ideas ? I'm using windows 7 64bit and all drivers installed, pc recognizes phone.
2nd July 2014, 11:31 AM   |  #4  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Essex, England

6,067 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzan-

Strange. Every time I click on restore errors it hangs for 30 secs and then LGpcsuite exe stopped working message and it stops. Any ideas ? I'm using windows 7 64bit and all drivers installed, pc recognizes phone.

Could be a conflict with something else - to get it working for me I had to delete all traces of LG from the pc - all LG apps, drivers (including using USBDeview) and start over.
2nd July 2014, 12:09 PM   |  #5  
Flag Neustadt, Germany
Thanks Meter: 28

110 posts
More
First of all, thank you for your detailed tutorial. Yesterday I have had the same idea... can someone confirm this theory... though there is no update for international version yet, someone with the korean model?
2nd July 2014, 12:22 PM   |  #6  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Essex, England

6,067 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by medicus07

First of all, thank you for your detailed tutorial. Yesterday I have had the same idea... can someone confirm this theory... though there is no update for international version yet, someone with the korean model?

I tested this theory yesterday, albeit without an OTA - it does replace all modified and removed files in /system/ as well as removing any files you have added such as root or xposed.

There is no reason for the phone to continue to report that it has been modified, certainly if you take my final optional step and couple this restore with a factory reset.
2nd July 2014, 12:23 PM   |  #7  
Flag York
Thanks Meter: 1,508

3,698 posts
Donate to Me
More
Gotta love it when manufacturers make it simple to go back to 100% stock without any real messing around. Thanks for this
2nd July 2014, 12:30 PM   |  #8  
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 101

267 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennyuk

I tested this theory yesterday, albeit without an OTA - it does replace all modified and removed files in /system/ as well as removing any files you have added such as root or xposed.

There is no reason for the phone to continue to report that it has been modified, certainly if you take my final optional step and couple this restore with a factory reset.

Ok I fixed my issue, PC suite crashing by running it as admin on windows. When I run to "fix errors" it says I'm running latest version. When I check OTA on my phone there is an update which obviously don't run after download because I'm rooted. I'm out of ideas
2nd July 2014, 12:31 PM   |  #9  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Essex, England

6,067 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Ok I fixed my issue, PC suite crashing by running it as admin on windows. When I run to "fix errors" it says I'm running latest version. When I check OTA on my phone there is an update which obviously don't run after download because I'm rooted. I'm out of ideas

fixing errors is a reflash to fix a problem, it shouldn't matter what version your on, are you sure you didn't click the check for updates button by error?
2nd July 2014, 12:38 PM   |  #10  
Flag Neustadt, Germany
Thanks Meter: 28

110 posts
More
Quote:

You should't have root access after using the fix upgrade function...

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
guide, lgg3, ota, unroot
Previous Thread Next Thread