OP Bukary

6th July 2014, 08:19 AM   |  #31  
Flag Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 71

532 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bukary

Firstly, let me apologize for my English and the lack of technical terminology in my vocabulary.

Secondly, a disclaimer: I do not own any Samsung phone. I think that my wife's LG G2 is the greatest phone in the world.

Let's get to the point...

Polish site PCLab has just published a detailed review of G3 (European model) with some astounding tests' results that might shed some light on all disturbing reports about problems with LG's new flagship device. And while Polish journalist praise the phone for its incredible design, great UI, decent camera, they are at the same time very disappointed with some serious software and hardware problems that G3 is suffering from. I have read tons of different reviews, but it's the first one that explains why this phone "lags", overheats etc.

Problem: POOR BENCHMARKS' RESULTS, LAGS

Some reasons:

1. It seems that RAM sticks (is that the correct word?) in G3 are worse in terms of quality than the ones from G2.
2. CPU management is set to deliberately lower clock rate and restrict maximum clock rate to one core only in most of the cases. And when all four cores are in use, CPU management does not allow them to work at maximum rate at all. It has some serious impact on UI operations as well and makes better chpset in G3 perform worse than Snapdragon 800 in G2.
3. The temperature. G3 has some serious problems with heat distribution. When the CPU is working for longer period of time, the clock rate is lowered to 1.5 GHz and (what's worse) GPU clock is being seriously restrained. For example, after several minutes GPU clock rate is slowered by 40% (from, say, 20 fps to 12 fps)! It's the worse throttling among all new flagships.
4. There's no trimming in system's internal memory. That's one of the most important causes of "lags".
5. The new UI has some problems with memory management. Sometimes while using few apps there is only 174 MB of 2 GB of memory avaible! And the only way to free memory is to restart the device.

And yes, this review also confirms problems with oversharpening of the text on G2 dispay. The reviewer says that it's the software issue (or rather: "LG's conscious marketing decision").

You can see all the screenshots from various tests here:
http://pclab.pl/art58419.html

I have no idea if these problems might be fixed with some software updates, but I really do hope so!

This reviewer has very little too no idea what he's talking about. Read Anandtech review for better reporting
6th July 2014, 09:06 AM   |  #32  
Thanks Meter: 168

970 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rancur3p1c

This reviewer has very little too no idea what he's talking about. Read Anandtech review for better reporting

I suppose you're the living expert of today?
There is also a different phones and fws out there
6th July 2014, 09:15 AM   |  #33  
Thanks Meter: 672

1,517 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rancur3p1c

besides the no trimming bit, this guy says the exact same thing that AnandTech said lol

If you're used to a certain level of performance with a 1080p display and the Snapdragon 800 SoC, you will see a very very noticeable difference when using a 1440p display and the Snapdragon 801 SoC. Anand has confirmed this and says that to get the same level of performance we're used to, but with a 1440p display, you HAVE to use a Snapdragon 805 SoC

People love to rag on Samsung, but they knew better than to release the S5 with the 801 and 1440p and they weren't not willing to make that sacrifice for their flagship device
6th July 2014, 03:11 PM   |  #34  
Thanks Meter: 72

552 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enddo

besides the no trimming bit, this guy says the exact same thing that AnandTech said lol

If you're used to a certain level of performance with a 1080p display and the Snapdragon 800 SoC, you will see a very very noticeable difference when using a 1440p display and the Snapdragon 801 SoC. Anand has confirmed this and says that to get the same level of performance we're used to, but with a 1440p display, you HAVE to use a Snapdragon 805 SoC

People love to rag on Samsung, but they knew better than to release the S5 with the 801 and 1440p and they weren't not willing to make that sacrifice for their flagship device

Yep, but the s5 lags more then the he so that's that...
7th July 2014, 02:58 AM   |  #35  
Thanks Meter: 308

3,217 posts
The most annoying problems with G3 explained
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostatsea23

Yeah. Android has that built in now.

All these reviews are annoying. The device just came out. A lot of this can be fixed via an update.

All except the Qhd operating with a chipset better suited for 1080p. Will be interesting to see when more heavy users get the device. I expect a general split of light to medium users liking the device a lot and heavy users after a few weeks, not so much.

The sharpness issue though needs to be fixed, regardless. People will notice it more, once the excitement of having a new device wears off.

---------- Post added at 01:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabret00the

But the 805 is designed for tablets. Hence the lack of modem. Thus the 805 plus a modem is more room than the 801. By the time you think about a heat sync too, you need a bigger form factor.

Not correct about just for tablets. Case in point, LG and Samsung both have devices coming out soon with the 805. The 805 is a more modular design than the previous 28nm chips, with the 805 being the last.
7th July 2014, 03:01 AM   |  #36  
Thanks Meter: 72

552 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushless

All except the Qhd operating with a chipset better suited for 1080p. Will be interesting to see when more heavy users get the device. I expect a general split of light to medium users liking the device a lot and heavy users after a few weeks, not so much.

The sharpness issue though needs to be fixed, regardless. People will notice it more, once the excitement of having a new device wears off.

---------- Post added at 01:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 AM ----------

Not correct about just for tablets. Case in point, LG and Samsung both have devices coming out soon with the 805. The 805 is a more modular design than the previous 28nm chips, with the 805 being the last.

Yes. I just got it and the sharpness thing is annoying. After it settled for about a day the thing runs really smooth as well. Thoroughly impressed. The 801 performs well for UI.

The battery would be better with the 805 but the battery also started settling in as well. So far I'm happy
7th July 2014, 07:07 AM   |  #37  
Flag Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 71

532 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enddo

he doesn't have much understanding of android memory management, acts like he's never seen thermal throttling, and what does "not as good memory" even mean?

Anandtech said none of those things.

on the thermal side, my Nexus 5 won't run full tilt for more than 5 seconds with all 4 cores maxed out due to the thermal issues.

---------- Post added at 02:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:05 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dondavis007

I suppose you're the living expert of today?
There is also a different phones and fws out there

compared to this guy, yeah definitely. there's a reason bad engineers write articles-- if they were good enough at what they did, they would be getting paid better to do that

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread