From Z2 to G3 worth it?

Search This thread

sofia-captivate

Mar 7, 2011
Vancouver
Got the sony z2 right now is it worth it to switch to G3? All I care for is instagram, camera, battery life that's it. Thanks please share

Sent from my D6503 using XDA Free mobile app

Tectas

Jul 26, 2011
Got the sony z2 right now is it worth it to switch to G3? All I care for is instagram, camera, battery life that's it. Thanks please share

If it's just about that, stick with the z2, the camera of the g3 is pretty nice, but the one of the z2 is as well, they just have different strong and weak points there. Battery life is better on the z2, out of the box, i guess, because the qhd display at the g3 draws more juice, but, well, except if you are willing to swap batteries, than the point goes to the g3.
If you're happy with the z2, stick with it, if not, swap it, but be aware, it's not an upgrade, but a switch, both phones are decent and have their up and downsides.

BigBSES

Aug 21, 2010
Lauffen am Neckar
I switched from the Z2 to the G3.
The camera works a lot faster, and shots sharper photos.
About the battery endurance, I can´t talk lot about, because my G3 is toooo new.
But actually it seems to be better.
The Display is blazing sharp and amazing!
No competition for the G3....

Jiyeon90

Nov 8, 2012
Camera is slightly better on the z2, when it comes to battery you get 1 day + 4-5h SOT on the G3 while on the Z2 you get 1 day + 5-6.5h SOT, I'd say stay with the Z2

cheetah2k

May 27, 2008
Brisbane
I gave up on the Z2. I was on my 4th phone (all with defects) and the IPS lcd screen was pretty poor IMO.

The G3 is a brilliant phone, albeit there is probably more lag than the Z2, but I forgive it because the screen is way better, and the cam takes instant pics which are way better in low light.

mickey878

Apr 6, 2012
i switched from a Z2 and in my opinion both phones are super great!! however few things i didn't like about the Z2 was that feeling that ill drop it and break the glass on either side. This fear was always present in my mind when handling the phone.

On the brighter side, the battery of the Z2 was amazing hands down. I am not talking about the tests posted on various websites etc, this is only MY opinion. I am a heavy user and play a lot of games on the phone, constantly checking for messages, FB, pulse etc. The Z2 would last me easily a day with some juice left.

For the G3, the screen is superb and the size of the phone ratio to the screen is a plus. The phone doesnt feel cheap and in my opinion is less slippery than the Z2. In other advantages i think removable battery is always a plus IF you keep a spare on you. I have used the phone for 4 days now and i must say the battery didnt impress me. Its just OK nothing more ill add to that.

Both phones are good imo, if you want to have a future proof phone then i guess G3 is a safer bet specially the 855 with 32gb and 3GB ram keeps you at par with the current offerings.

Reactions: alias3800

BoundsChecking

Mar 19, 2013
Had a Z2, and could never eek out more than 5 hours of SOT. I can easily grind out 5.5-6 and over doing the same things on the G3. It's a pretty fantastic phone. I'm not quite sure, but I believe it still has GRAM that the G2 had, and that helps it with battery life.

I'm a super heavy user, and the Z2 just didn't cut it for me.

sofia-captivate

Mar 7, 2011
Vancouver
Had a Z2, and could never eek out more than 5 hours of SOT. I can easily grind out 5.5-6 and over doing the same things on the G3. It's a pretty fantastic phone. I'm not quite sure, but I believe it still has GRAM that the G2 had, and that helps it with battery life.

I'm a super heavy user, and the Z2 just didn't cut it for me.

Where is your G3 from if you don't mind me asking? Like tmobile? Or unlock international version? Thanks

Beards

Nov 3, 2008
Had the Z2 and loved so many things on the phone which made the switch to the G3 difficult at first.
Z2
Pros:
Battery
Waterproof
Dedicated Camera Button

Cons:
Awkward to hold
All glass looks nice but drop the phone at your peril.
Awkward SIM Card Slot.
No replaceable battery

G3
Pros:
Screen oh that screen
Feels great to hold in the hand
Unique software configuration ~ Design your own button layout, other custom changes and Easy Home that actually works.
Brilliant Auto camera ~ Never thought I would be happy using an Auto setting.
Superb use of Quick Circle implementation.

Cons:
Camera software has no manual controls, you have to download and use additional software.

I'm sure I could find many other reasons to like both phones but whilst great tools are a winning factor it's how the device feels in the hand which will always be your first and last impression. Here the G3 wins absolutely hands down against the Z2.

Reactions: PaulVulcan

AhsanU

Sep 27, 2013
NYC
Z2 has issues with sound quality and voice quality. If you truly only care for the things you've listed then stick to the Z2. But things such as weight, voice quality, etc. may matter later on, so you'll never know.

I'm coming from a Z1. Quite possibly the most aesthetically pleasing phone but was paired with horrible software support and issues that could not be easily fixed because of rooting issues.

Sent from my LG-D850 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

toncij

Dec 18, 2010
Your argument seems nearly legit...
But maybe its a little bit squishy.....

My g3 holds nearly two and a half day.
My z2 max 2 days. so lg does something better with energy handling.

And I use exactly the same apps on both phones. nothing except the phones is different

Impossibru!
:)
Please check attached picture? SIM free run, 60% brightness and full WiFi.
The 7 hour picture is from video streaming and gaming plus social networks...

I don't understand how you get hours similar to G3? You probably run a very bad signal on you networks and that drains your devices...

Sent from my D6503 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Attachments

• 1406656562168.jpg
    1406656562168.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 283
  • 1406656597053.jpg
    1406656597053.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 271

htc fan89

Jun 12, 2009
Ottawa,Vaudreuil-Dorion and NYC

No point of switching from z2. It has everything good camera good battery only resolution and laser focusing is what g3 has over z2. Not a big deal

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

903tex

Mar 22, 2010
Tyler, Texas
Moto G Stylus 5G
I ended up ordering a Black one from Amazon and received a White one. With all the people having issues with shutdowns, overheating, etc. I just kept the White one since it's performing beautifully.

Yes I ended up with the white one as well. I've never had any restarts or any problems out of the phone. Everything works great!

Sent from my LG-D850 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: Enddo

F4M0U569

Dec 10, 2011
No point of switching from z2. It has everything good camera good battery only resolution and laser focusing is what g3 has over z2. Not a big deal

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Do you really think it is not worth it? Here are the reasons why you should upgrade. Let me break it down for you

-true hd lcd 144x2560 5'5inch 2.5k display
-32gb internal and 3gb of ram
-1 watt speaker
-removeable battery
-2.5ghz
-ir blaster
-better battery
-better camera
-and probably more things that I forgot

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    u guys are comparing a phone with a custom rom and kernel vs a stock phone..thats like comparing a stock lamborghini with one that has an underground racing twin turbo

If it's just about that, stick with the z2, the camera of the g3 is pretty nice, but the one of the z2 is as well, they just have different strong and weak points there. Battery life is better on the z2, out of the box, i guess, because the qhd display at the g3 draws more juice, but, well, except if you are willing to swap batteries, than the point goes to the g3.
    If you're happy with the z2, stick with it, if not, swap it, but be aware, it's not an upgrade, but a switch, both phones are decent and have their up and downsides.
    if the z2 can overclock to 2.5 then the g3 can overclock to 2.7 and the z2 does not sound better than the g3. stop being imaginary

The G3 can't get an unlocked bootloader, how can it be overclocked? It also thermal throttles serverly, raising it to 2.7Ghz with a QHD screen would fry it. While the M8 has the best sound of any phone, the Z2 is behind and then the G3.
    i switched from a Z2 and in my opinion both phones are super great!! however few things i didn't like about the Z2 was that feeling that ill drop it and break the glass on either side. This fear was always present in my mind when handling the phone.

On the brighter side, the battery of the Z2 was amazing hands down. I am not talking about the tests posted on various websites etc, this is only MY opinion. I am a heavy user and play a lot of games on the phone, constantly checking for messages, FB, pulse etc. The Z2 would last me easily a day with some juice left.

For the G3, the screen is superb and the size of the phone ratio to the screen is a plus. The phone doesnt feel cheap and in my opinion is less slippery than the Z2. In other advantages i think removable battery is always a plus IF you keep a spare on you. I have used the phone for 4 days now and i must say the battery didnt impress me. Its just OK nothing more ill add to that.

Both phones are good imo, if you want to have a future proof phone then i guess G3 is a safer bet specially the 855 with 32gb and 3GB ram keeps you at par with the current offerings.
    Had the Z2 and loved so many things on the phone which made the switch to the G3 difficult at first.
    Z2
    Pros:
    Battery
    Waterproof
    Dedicated Camera Button

Cons:
    Awkward to hold
    All glass looks nice but drop the phone at your peril.
    Awkward SIM Card Slot.
    No replaceable battery

G3
    Pros:
    Screen oh that screen
    Feels great to hold in the hand
    Unique software configuration ~ Design your own button layout, other custom changes and Easy Home that actually works.
    Brilliant Auto camera ~ Never thought I would be happy using an Auto setting.
    Superb use of Quick Circle implementation.

Cons:
    Camera software has no manual controls, you have to download and use additional software.

I'm sure I could find many other reasons to like both phones but whilst great tools are a winning factor it's how the device feels in the hand which will always be your first and last impression. Here the G3 wins absolutely hands down against the Z2.