F400S/K/L Versions (Hardware Comparison) and usage on AT&T

Search This thread

mikeythedude

May 14, 2012
Hola folks!

After finding enough screenshots/video reviews, I am beginning to think that from a hardware perspective the S and L variants are identical (including supported bands), whereas the K is only slightly different from S/L.

Any images of the back cover off on the K models (Olleh) will show "F400 0425 K" indicating the hardware is the "K" variant. (If you watch the review video http://www.androidcentral.com/lg-g3-review, you will notice this info up at the top on the backside, right above the camera.) UPDATE: Here is another link with an image http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/06/lg-g3-review-a-great-phone-with-way-too-many-pixels/#image-4

On the S/L (SK Telecom, LG U+) models, they say "F400 0423 S/L" on the SK Telecom model ("S" variant), and "F400 0425 S/L" on the LG U+ model ("L" variant). You can find images of the "S" model with engadget's review (http://www.engadget.com/gallery/lg-g3-review/2676959/#!slide=2676963), and images of the "L" model with ubreakifix's F400L teardown (http://www.ubreakifix.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/ubif-g3-21.jpg).

(Thanks and kudos to the review sites and teardown site for the images.) :)

As an owner of the F400S, I can tell you that all 3 variants will run on AT&T LTE (as a lot of our LTE is on Band 17 - 700 MHz spectrum). I was able to load my F400S with the TOT and DLL files of all 3 variants (currently waiting on getting it back to the "S" variant once the DLL is posted), and all 3 variants will connect to AT&T with no issues (for those of you that plan on importing like I did).

So for those of you who managed to brick your new G3, as long as you can ADB into it, you can edit your build.prop file with the corresponding korean variant model info, and load any stock image. As @wolfgart has posted a great thread with the TOTs and DLLs, I recommend swinging through there for more info. If you have a K variant, load the K TOT and DLL, and you are fine.

For those of us with S/L variants--with the above info and enough tinkering in the hidden menus of all 3 variants, I can tell you that from a hardware perspective these two models are nearly identical. From a modem/supported frequencies perspective, the S and L variants support the exact same frequencies--meaning, if you bricked your S or L version, you can restore it with an S or L TOT and DLL (after editing build.prop if needed) and you will still get all of your original hardware supported bands/frequencies. This is critical for those of you using LTE Band 5 to connect to your data... (should not be the case for any US AT&T users...).
UPDATE: in the 'Android Development' section, wolfgart's thread with the TOTs and DLLs have been updated to now include the files for all 3 models. So unless you know what you are doing with a build.prop edit, probably best to stick with what came with the phones for those who are new to this stuff.

The main difference between the S/L and K phones in frequency/band support is that LTE Band 8 is supported on the K model only, whereas you will get LTE Band 5 support on the S/L models. All other bands and frequencies (WCDMA/GSM) are the same across all 3 models. All 3 also support LTE Band 17, and will connect to AT&T in the US.

Took me a while to figure this out, but I had a long weekend :cool:

Last edited:

mikeythedude

May 14, 2012
Any thoughts about the L/S version suporting LTE Band 7?
Thanks

Unfortunately, I don't connect to LTE with band 7 so I can't say much on that. However, just based on the hidden menus in both (I am using the L version on my S variant phone at the moment), they both have the same listings of 1,3,5,7 for supported bands.

LTE 700, 850, 1800, 2100, 2600 (Band 17, Band 5, Band 3, Band 1, and Band 7 respectively)
UMTS 850, 1900, 2100
GSM 800, 900, 1800, 1900

The above are the fully supported bands on the S and L variants.

The below are the fully supported bands on the K variant.

LTE 700, 900, 1800, 2100, 2600 (Band 17, Band 8, Band 3, Band 1, and Band 7 respectively)
UMTS 850, 1900, 2100
GSM 800, 900, 1800, 1900

I don't have the K variant on my device now, but I recall the only band difference is that it supports LTE band 8 (900 MHz) instead of LTE band 5 (850 MHz), but other supported bands are the same. LTE Band 5 is one of the primary bands for both SK Telecom and LG U+ (which partially explains why the two phones have nearly identical hardware, including modem support).

Hope this answers your question. As support for those frequencies are built in (and it makes sense on LG as a mass manufacturer--They can use the same modem and just rebrand it like they did in Korea for the S and L variants).

Last edited:

mikeythedude

May 14, 2012
Why is the S one more expensive than the L?

That, my friend, is a question you will have to ask LG and SK Telecom. We sorta see that in the US every so often with "special editions" that aren't really that special and they will add an extra 100ish.

Off-contract, LG U+ is the most affordable right now, with SK Telecom right around $700 USD. With markup and shipping, etc. eBayers are selling it for $750-800.

Also, you have to remember the G3 is a hot commodity even in Korea right now. Had some friends who thought it was funny I got a phone overseas before they even bothered joining the bandwagon.

So though I can't say for sure why exactly it's more expensive, I can definitely say it has to do with the fact that the phone is still only 3 weeks old :)

Reactions: gsanches

Maine_Coon

Sep 24, 2009
And none of those 3 will work on T-Mobile LTE which needs 1700 and 2100Mhz most of time.

There are some spots with 900Mhz support though.

But as much as I want G3, I'll wait for the T-Mo version.

gsanches

Mar 4, 2013
São Paulo
Yeah...I'm a proud owner of a Htc One M7...I have been thinking a lot and decided that it's time to change. I'm comparing the M8, the Z2, the G3 for a long time and finally think that this last one will be the one...unfortunately it's still very soon to easily find information regarding this phone online...

Your information helped me a lot...now I know exactly which variant to buy :fingers-crossed:...thank you guys very much :D

mikeythedude

May 14, 2012
Yeah...I'm a proud owner of a Htc One M7...I have been thinking a lot and decided that it's time to change. I'm comparing the M8, the Z2, the G3 for a long time and finally think that this last one will be the one...unfortunately it's still very soon to easily find information regarding this phone online...

Your information helped me a lot...now I know exactly which variant to buy :fingers-crossed:...thank you guys very much :D

It looks like you are planning on doing the same upgrade I did. I still have my M7 as my backup :), but definitely gotta say I am loving my G3. :cool:

Reactions: gsanches

gsanches

Mar 4, 2013
São Paulo
That's amazing man...I've been a HTC fan since the Sensation...but currently I feel that they are been left behind...

I'm really sorry, but other brands are offering a lot more for the same price.

The HTC will always win in design and the quality of the phone's body, screen and, of course, sound!...but they are losing in the rest...UI, camera, battery life definitely...it's just sad :(

Nice to know that you're enjoying your G3...I hope I'll be as happy as you are in a few weeks...and judging by how much I've researched about it...I'm sure I'll love it!!! :D

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Free mobile app

G3 HAPPY

Jun 19, 2014
question

sorry, which of these three variants brings FM radio? K, L, S, and if for example buy the K version, if you install the L or S variant fm radio works?

ferluci

May 29, 2008
Bahia Blanca
I´m about to buy a G3 and found some model have an antenna, is that correct?, anybody knows what tv frequencies can handle?. Thanks!

mikeythedude

May 14, 2012
sorry, which of these three variants brings FM radio? K, L, S, and if for example buy the K version, if you install the L or S variant fm radio works?

From my research, none of the korean models (F400 S/K/L) support FM radio. Instead of an FM radio tuner, they are offered with Korea's DMB tuner, for korean DMB support.

I have only seen DMB function while in Korea and Japan. Anywhere else in the world, you will have to check with local providers, as some countries will charge for DMB as a service (just like satellite television).

Hope this helps :)

Last edited:

mikeythedude

May 14, 2012
I´m about to buy a G3 and found some model have an antenna, is that correct?, anybody knows what tv frequencies can handle?. Thanks!

The only frequencies it can support is anything broadcasted as DMB. Certain countries offer DMB subscription services, but you will have to research if it is offered where you live.

In the US, DMB is unavailable so I just have a nice long antenna that people crack up at in the year 2014, but completely unusable where I am. I just tell them its for better service as a side joke lol ;)

Last edited:

ferluci

May 29, 2008
Bahia Blanca
The only frequencies it can support is anything broadcasted as DMB. Certain countries offer DMB subscription services, but you will have to research if it is offered where you live.

In the US, DMB is unavailable so I just have a nice long antenna that people crack up at in the year 2014, but completely unusable where I am. I just tell them its for better service as a side joke lol ;)

OK! Thank you :D

kittiyut

Mar 6, 2006
Portland
Will the D855 variant (with LTE 700MHz) be able to use on AT&T (band class 17) or Verizon (band class 13)?

Or to be more specific, will the D855 cover all 700MHz US band class (12, 13, 14, and 17)?

Thanks!

mikeythedude

May 14, 2012
Will the D855 variant (with LTE 700MHz) be able to use on AT&T (band class 17) or Verizon (band class 13)?

Or to be more specific, will the D855 cover all 700MHz US band class (12, 13, 14, and 17)?

Thanks!

You would have to check which specific band class of 700 MHz the D855 would be capable of connecting to. As I do not have the D855, and specs are varied on the internet right now, I cannot say for sure.

The FCC had ruled four separate band classes to operate on the 700 MHz spectrum in America--Band 17 700 MHz capable modems cannot connect to any of the other 700 MHz band classes and vice versa. (It was claimed that they did not want to have any network interference issues. Carriers purchased the rights to access certain chunks of the 700 MHz spectrum, and they are isolated to those carriers only.)

I am seeing 700MHz (B28) support on D855 models, but I believe that might be related to certain LTE-A rollouts in Europe (meaning it may not be able to connect to current 700 MHz bands in the US (as the US does not have LTE-A networks at the moment) and new band classes are issued for LTE-A (i.e. Band 28).

Last edited:
Reactions: kittiyut

vince2398

Mar 28, 2010

Does the antenna stand out much? Or is it hidden? Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hola folks!

After finding enough screenshots/video reviews, I am beginning to think that from a hardware perspective the S and L variants are identical (including supported bands), whereas the K is only slightly different from S/L.

Any images of the back cover off on the K models (Olleh) will show "F400 0425 K" indicating the hardware is the "K" variant. (If you watch the review video http://www.androidcentral.com/lg-g3-review, you will notice this info up at the top on the backside, right above the camera.) UPDATE: Here is another link with an image http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/06/lg-g3-review-a-great-phone-with-way-too-many-pixels/#image-4

On the S/L (SK Telecom, LG U+) models, they say "F400 0423 S/L" on the SK Telecom model ("S" variant), and "F400 0425 S/L" on the LG U+ model ("L" variant). You can find images of the "S" model with engadget's review (http://www.engadget.com/gallery/lg-g3-review/2676959/#!slide=2676963), and images of the "L" model with ubreakifix's F400L teardown (http://www.ubreakifix.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/ubif-g3-21.jpg).

(Thanks and kudos to the review sites and teardown site for the images.) :)

As an owner of the F400S, I can tell you that all 3 variants will run on AT&T LTE (as a lot of our LTE is on Band 17 - 700 MHz spectrum). I was able to load my F400S with the TOT and DLL files of all 3 variants (currently waiting on getting it back to the "S" variant once the DLL is posted), and all 3 variants will connect to AT&T with no issues (for those of you that plan on importing like I did).

So for those of you who managed to brick your new G3, as long as you can ADB into it, you can edit your build.prop file with the corresponding korean variant model info, and load any stock image. As @wolfgart has posted a great thread with the TOTs and DLLs, I recommend swinging through there for more info. If you have a K variant, load the K TOT and DLL, and you are fine.

For those of us with S/L variants--with the above info and enough tinkering in the hidden menus of all 3 variants, I can tell you that from a hardware perspective these two models are nearly identical. From a modem/supported frequencies perspective, the S and L variants support the exact same frequencies--meaning, if you bricked your S or L version, you can restore it with an S or L TOT and DLL (after editing build.prop if needed) and you will still get all of your original hardware supported bands/frequencies. This is critical for those of you using LTE Band 5 to connect to your data... (should not be the case for any US AT&T users...).
    UPDATE: in the 'Android Development' section, wolfgart's thread with the TOTs and DLLs have been updated to now include the files for all 3 models. So unless you know what you are doing with a build.prop edit, probably best to stick with what came with the phones for those who are new to this stuff.

The main difference between the S/L and K phones in frequency/band support is that LTE Band 8 is supported on the K model only, whereas you will get LTE Band 5 support on the S/L models. All other bands and frequencies (WCDMA/GSM) are the same across all 3 models. All 3 also support LTE Band 17, and will connect to AT&T in the US.

Took me a while to figure this out, but I had a long weekend :cool:
    Any thoughts about the L/S version suporting LTE Band 7?
    Thanks

Unfortunately, I don't connect to LTE with band 7 so I can't say much on that. However, just based on the hidden menus in both (I am using the L version on my S variant phone at the moment), they both have the same listings of 1,3,5,7 for supported bands.

LTE 700, 850, 1800, 2100, 2600 (Band 17, Band 5, Band 3, Band 1, and Band 7 respectively)
    UMTS 850, 1900, 2100
    GSM 800, 900, 1800, 1900

The above are the fully supported bands on the S and L variants.

The below are the fully supported bands on the K variant.

LTE 700, 900, 1800, 2100, 2600 (Band 17, Band 8, Band 3, Band 1, and Band 7 respectively)
    UMTS 850, 1900, 2100
    GSM 800, 900, 1800, 1900

I don't have the K variant on my device now, but I recall the only band difference is that it supports LTE band 8 (900 MHz) instead of LTE band 5 (850 MHz), but other supported bands are the same. LTE Band 5 is one of the primary bands for both SK Telecom and LG U+ (which partially explains why the two phones have nearly identical hardware, including modem support).

Hope this answers your question. As support for those frequencies are built in (and it makes sense on LG as a mass manufacturer--They can use the same modem and just rebrand it like they did in Korea for the S and L variants).

That, my friend, is a question you will have to ask LG and SK Telecom. We sorta see that in the US every so often with "special editions" that aren't really that special and they will add an extra 100ish.

Off-contract, LG U+ is the most affordable right now, with SK Telecom right around $700 USD. With markup and shipping, etc. eBayers are selling it for $750-800.

Also, you have to remember the G3 is a hot commodity even in Korea right now. Had some friends who thought it was funny I got a phone overseas before they even bothered joining the bandwagon.

So though I can't say for sure why exactly it's more expensive, I can definitely say it has to do with the fact that the phone is still only 3 weeks old :)

It looks like you are planning on doing the same upgrade I did. I still have my M7 as my backup :), but definitely gotta say I am loving my G3. :cool: