Apps that can be safely Frozen or Removed

Search This thread

Jan 4, 2013
Thought this may be useful for everyone to have as the device does sadly have a tendency to be a bit laggy.
Have followed a few guides and got some great info from XDA so trying to give a little back if I can :)

From what I have done I have found no ill effects that I have noticed so far, all fairly obvious choices so early on, but will get braver as I get more used to the handset and I'm sure others have been more adventurous than me and can help bulk the list up a bit and we can do away with a whole bunch of bloat to get a smoother ride from out G3. Some of these I froze as I prefer other 3rd party apps.

Frozen/Removed
Cell Broadcast
Documents
File Manager
Internet/Stock Browser
LG Health
LG Search Widget Provider
LG Setup Wizard
McAfee Security
Messaging (stock)
Music
Video
Video Trim
Weather
Weather Theme
Weather Platform

If you have any other suggestions please post and and I'll add updates to Post 1 for easy reference :highfive:
Hope this helps some fellow G3 users :)

Last edited:

Lennyuk

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 26, 2010
Suffolk, England
Thought this may be useful for everyone to have as the device does sadly have a tendency to be a bit laggy.
Have followed a few guides and got some great info from XDA so trying to give a little back if I can :)

From what I have done I have found no ill effects that I have noticed so far, all fairly obvious choices so early on, but will get braver as I get more used to the handset and I'm sure others have been more adventurous than me and can help bulk the list up a bit and we can do away with a whole bunch of bloat to get a smoother ride from out G3. Some of these I froze as I prefer other 3rd party apps.

If you have any other suggestions please post and and I'll add updates to Post 1 for easy reference :highfive:

I think you should do a different list for the Google apps, the main attention people will give this thread is to find out what LG apps they can freeze and remove, most people will not be interesting in removing the Google apps from their devices.

Reactions: 557953

Jan 4, 2013
I think you should do a different list for the Google apps, the main attention people will give this thread is to find out what LG apps they can freeze and remove, most people will not be interesting in removing the Google apps from their devices.

Understood, you are most likely correct. Google Apps removed from list :)

Reactions: Lennyuk
D

Deleted member 267841

If possible, can you post the real app name (the apk name in /system/app or /system/app-priv) ?
Thanks

DominicRead

Jul 5, 2014
Get my G3 later today. Thanks for the list! I'm completely new to Android, so how do I remove bloat ware?

Last edited:

drock212

Aug 26, 2009
ORLANDO
If possible, can you post the real app name (the apk name in /system/app or /system/app-priv) ?
Thanks

Also in system/vendor/app. Found some stuff in there that tibu couldn't get rid of. Here's most of what I froze. If it's not in my list of frozen apps I deleted it lol

Sent from my LG-D850 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Attachments

• 1405903761488.jpg
    1405903761488.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 3,508
  • 1405903781100.jpg
    1405903781100.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 3,236
  • 1405903796708.jpg
    1405903796708.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 3,179
  • 1405903817857.jpg
    1405903817857.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 2,326

partylikeaninjastar

Apr 13, 2012
SF Bay Area
I wonder if anyone has the time, patience, and good will to compile all of these threads into one master index?

Could we have a non-root list, and also a description of what gets disabled/broken for each one. E.g. what does Cell Broadcast do? (I've googled, I 'm now aware, not relevant currently in the UK).

ActionManager service? Board Content Provider?

I've found this list but most of the bloat on Verizon wasn't on mine, since I'm not in the US: http://xdaforums.com/verizon-lg-g3/general/list-bloatware-safe-to-disable-t2819370

I've noticed that the system doesn't allow you to disable everything if you're not rooted so maybe anything you are allowed to disable is safe to disable.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Horcza

Jun 6, 2012
Miskolc
Also in system/vendor/app. Found some stuff in there that tibu couldn't get rid of. Here's most of what I froze. If it's not in my list of frozen apps I deleted it lol

And how is everything working out after having disabled all those 3 weeks ago? Any anomalies or bad experiences? So far your screenshots give the best list of the removable apps (I'm completely new to LG so I don't know about their stock stuff), and I'd love to remove them but I'm afraid to experiment without a fully working recovery to restore nandroid.

drock212

Aug 26, 2009
ORLANDO
And how is everything working out after having disabled all those 3 weeks ago? Any anomalies or bad experiences? So far your screenshots give the best list of the removable apps (I'm completely new to LG so I don't know about their stock stuff), and I'd love to remove them but I'm afraid to experiment without a fully working recovery to restore nandroid.

Everything is working great. Battery life is spectacular. There are 0 negative results to report.

Reactions: Horcza

Horcza

Jun 6, 2012
Miskolc
Everything is working great. Battery life is spectacular. There are 0 negative results to report.

Awesome, thanks for the quick feedback! I just got a notification about a new downloadable software update (will not do it ofc), I suppose freezing the software update app will mean no more notifications and to setbacks either?

drock212

Aug 26, 2009
ORLANDO
Awesome, thanks for the quick feedback! I just got a notification about a new downloadable software update (will not do it ofc), I suppose freezing the software update app will mean no more notifications and to setbacks either?

Correct. I have mine frozen to avoid receiving update notifications. Also this is good until you find out if the new update is rootable. If its not then its good to stick with the current software.

Reactions: Horcza

alfablac

Jun 26, 2012

My list is almost this one of yours. Had to unfreeze some of those because it made the home screen very lagged.

whodatfan

Nov 13, 2013
So I froze most of these. Will it free up memory or do I have to delete them? Kinda scared to delete them. I have nandroid backup, just hate to possibly have to restore when the phone is running good.

Reactions: bllon745

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Frozen/Removed
    Cell Broadcast
    Documents
    File Manager
    Internet/Stock Browser
    LG Health
    LG Search Widget Provider
    LG Setup Wizard
    McAfee Security
    Messaging (stock)
    Music
    Video
    Video Trim
    Weather
    Weather Theme
    Weather Platform

Thanks

Understood, you are most likely correct. Google Apps removed from list :)