Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] "Avoided Poor Internet Connection" on home WiFi?

OP karmapuhlease

12th July 2014, 01:11 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Flag Long Island, New York
Thanks Meter: 0

13 posts
More
I just picked up the G3 and brought it home, and it won't connect to my WiFi connection. I have the right WEP password and everything, but it says "Avoided poor Internet connection" when I try to connect it to my network. The router is 5 feet away in the same room, and I've never had this issue with any other device (Galaxy Nexus, iPhones, laptops).

I went under "Advanced Wi-Fi" settings and made sure that "Avoid poor connections" is UNCHECKED, so it's not that.

Any ideas? I'm really excited to get my phone set up (especially coming from an old Gnex...), but I need WiFi to download all my apps and stuff.
12th July 2014, 04:21 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 15

204 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmapuhlease

I just picked up the G3 and brought it home, and it won't connect to my WiFi connection. I have the right WEP password and everything, but it says "Avoided poor Internet connection" when I try to connect it to my network. The router is 5 feet away in the same room, and I've never had this issue with any other device (Galaxy Nexus, iPhones, laptops).

I went under "Advanced Wi-Fi" settings and made sure that "Avoid poor connections" is UNCHECKED, so it's not that.

Any ideas? I'm really excited to get my phone set up (especially coming from an old Gnex...), but I need WiFi to download all my apps and stuff.

Have you try change your encryption to WPA PSK2 with AES?
12th July 2014, 05:21 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

13 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by argh2000

Have you try change your encryption to WPA PSK2 with AES?

Would that be a change on the router? How exactly would I do that? (I hate networking stuff...)

I have an Actiontec Mi424-WR Rev. E from Verizon FiOS. The label on the side of the router has an ESSID, a WEP Key, WPS Pin, and WAN Mac, but nothing about WPA encryption. However, the "Advanced Security Settings" page on the router settings shows this, so it seems like it can probably handle WPA (but I'm not sure what you mean by the "PSK2 with AES", to be honest).
12th July 2014, 05:44 AM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

13 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmapuhlease

Would that be a change on the router? How exactly would I do that? (I hate networking stuff...)

I have an Actiontec Mi424-WR Rev. E from Verizon FiOS. The label on the side of the router has an ESSID, a WEP Key, WPS Pin, and WAN Mac, but nothing about WPA encryption. However, the "Advanced Security Settings" page on the router settings shows this, so it seems like it can probably handle WPA (but I'm not sure what you mean by the "PSK2 with AES", to be honest).

UPDATE: I figured out how to set it up that way, and got everything to work! Now I just have to switch the other 4 phones, 3 tablets, and 3 laptops in the house over to WPA2...

Thanks!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
avoid poor internet connection, avoid wifi, wifi
Previous Thread Next Thread