XDA and Leaseweb: Server Trial/Moto 360 Contest (Winners!)

About a month ago, we held a contest along with XDA’s host, Leaseweb, to … more

Updated Android Lollipop Preview Images – XDA TV

The Android Lollipop Preview Images are now available! That and much more news is … more

Get a Complete Set of Logs with Andy Log

The importance of proper logging is undeniable. No, we’re not talking about lumberjack work. … more

Try Some Android Lollipop Applications on Your Device

Android 5.0 Lollipop has been officially announced and lucky users of Google Nexus 5 … more
Post Reply

Difference in 13MP camera and "Selfie" Camera

OP hawkstwelve

28th July 2014, 05:01 AM   |  #1  
hawkstwelve's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 61
 
154 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2013
I don't know if this issue has been brought up yet or not, but I have an odd bug. When using the 13MP shooter, the picture looks extremely grainy and the blacks are more like grays. The line of trees around our house don't look black, they look an ashy smoke grey. And the grainy-ness is so bad it almost looks distorted at certain points that my son was walking around.

And yet when taking "selfies" the front camera produces crystal clear, beautiful pictures. It seems like it should be the other way around.

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this or if I need to return this to TMO and get a replacement?
28th July 2014, 08:30 AM   |  #2  
Tectas's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Graz
Thanks Meter: 2,153
 
2,961 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2011
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkstwelve

I don't know if this issue has been brought up yet or not, but I have an odd bug. When using the 13MP shooter, the picture looks extremely grainy and the blacks are more like grays. The line of trees around our house don't look black, they look an ashy smoke grey. And the grainy-ness is so bad it almost looks distorted at certain points that my son was walking around.

And yet when taking "selfies" the front camera produces crystal clear, beautiful pictures. It seems like it should be the other way around.

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this or if I need to return this to TMO and get a replacement?

Any samples pictures to know what exactly you're talking about?
But from what it sounds like, get a replacement, i have no such issues.

Here is a sample image:


28th July 2014, 11:44 AM   |  #3  
Nitemare3219's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 66
 
397 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
More
My selfie camera looks like crap and is slow inside with low lighting.. grainy and bright. The rear does better, but still bad. Outside both are great. Lighting is huge with this camera.

Sent from my LG G3
28th July 2014, 12:30 PM   |  #4  
hawkstwelve's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 61
 
154 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tectas

Any samples pictures to know what exactly you're talking about?
But from what it sounds like, get a replacement, i have no such issues.

Here is a sample image:



Here's a sample picture that shows the blacks as the greys. Can't tell much about the grainy/pixelated part from this picture, but it gives you the idea.





Sent from my LG-D851 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Last edited by hawkstwelve; 28th July 2014 at 12:34 PM.
28th July 2014, 12:33 PM   |  #5  
hawkstwelve's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 61
 
154 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2013
Deleted
28th July 2014, 12:39 PM   |  #6  
Senior Member
Flag Ottawa
Thanks Meter: 27
 
153 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2011
More
When I broke the camera lens cover on my G2, I installed a replacement. After installing the replacement my pictures were like the one posted here.

Upon closer inspection I noticed a plastic removable film on the lens cover. When I took it off the pictures were great..

Check and make sure you don't have a protective plastic film left on your lens cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkstwelve

Here's a sample picture that shows the blacks as the greys. Can't tell much about the grainy/pixelated part from this picture, but it gives you the idea.





Sent from my LG-D851 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

28th July 2014, 06:22 PM   |  #7  
hawkstwelve's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 61
 
154 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezadue

When I broke the camera lens cover on my G2, I installed a replacement. After installing the replacement my pictures were like the one posted here.

Upon closer inspection I noticed a plastic removable film on the lens cover. When I took it off the pictures were great..

Check and make sure you don't have a protective plastic film left on your lens cover.

Good suggestion, but there is no plastic film covering the camera. I'm fairly certain if I take it into TMO they will just exchange it. Might just go for that and see if it helps.

Sent from my LG-D851 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in G3 Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank