MultiROM Once Again Available for the Galaxy S4

Multiboot, or the ability to select betweenmultiple operating systems on a single device at … more

Build an Impractical But Awesome Lego Mindstorm Dock

The vast majority of what we cover here on the XDA-Developers News Portal relates to … more

MultiROM Makes its Way Over to the HTC One (M8)

While browsing our forum, you will undoubtedly find more than a few enticing ROMs available … more

Welcome to the New XDA-Developers Portal!

You may recall that a few weeks ago, we opened up the XDA-2015 forum themesto intrepid users … more

Difference in 13MP camera and "Selfie" Camera

28th July 2014, 05:01 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 61

151 posts
I don't know if this issue has been brought up yet or not, but I have an odd bug. When using the 13MP shooter, the picture looks extremely grainy and the blacks are more like grays. The line of trees around our house don't look black, they look an ashy smoke grey. And the grainy-ness is so bad it almost looks distorted at certain points that my son was walking around.

And yet when taking "selfies" the front camera produces crystal clear, beautiful pictures. It seems like it should be the other way around.

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this or if I need to return this to TMO and get a replacement?
28th July 2014, 08:30 AM   |  #2  
Flag Graz
Thanks Meter: 2,132

2,954 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkstwelve

I don't know if this issue has been brought up yet or not, but I have an odd bug. When using the 13MP shooter, the picture looks extremely grainy and the blacks are more like grays. The line of trees around our house don't look black, they look an ashy smoke grey. And the grainy-ness is so bad it almost looks distorted at certain points that my son was walking around.

And yet when taking "selfies" the front camera produces crystal clear, beautiful pictures. It seems like it should be the other way around.

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this or if I need to return this to TMO and get a replacement?

Any samples pictures to know what exactly you're talking about?
But from what it sounds like, get a replacement, i have no such issues.

Here is a sample image:

28th July 2014, 11:44 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 64

373 posts
More
My selfie camera looks like crap and is slow inside with low lighting.. grainy and bright. The rear does better, but still bad. Outside both are great. Lighting is huge with this camera.

Sent from my LG G3
28th July 2014, 12:30 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member

151 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tectas

Any samples pictures to know what exactly you're talking about?
But from what it sounds like, get a replacement, i have no such issues.

Here is a sample image:

Here's a sample picture that shows the blacks as the greys. Can't tell much about the grainy/pixelated part from this picture, but it gives you the idea.

Sent from my LG-D851 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Last edited by hawkstwelve; 28th July 2014 at 12:34 PM.
28th July 2014, 12:33 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

151 posts
Deleted
28th July 2014, 12:39 PM   |  #6  
Flag Ottawa
Thanks Meter: 27

153 posts
More
When I broke the camera lens cover on my G2, I installed a replacement. After installing the replacement my pictures were like the one posted here.

Upon closer inspection I noticed a plastic removable film on the lens cover. When I took it off the pictures were great..

Check and make sure you don't have a protective plastic film left on your lens cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkstwelve

Here's a sample picture that shows the blacks as the greys. Can't tell much about the grainy/pixelated part from this picture, but it gives you the idea.

28th July 2014, 06:22 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member

151 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezadue

When I broke the camera lens cover on my G2, I installed a replacement. After installing the replacement my pictures were like the one posted here.

Upon closer inspection I noticed a plastic removable film on the lens cover. When I took it off the pictures were great..

Check and make sure you don't have a protective plastic film left on your lens cover.

Good suggestion, but there is no plastic film covering the camera. I'm fairly certain if I take it into TMO they will just exchange it. Might just go for that and see if it helps.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread

Top Threads in G3 Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank