Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,128 Members 40,797 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Difference in 13MP camera and "Selfie" Camera

Tip us?

hawkstwelve
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 58
Default Difference in 13MP camera and "Selfie" Camera

I don't know if this issue has been brought up yet or not, but I have an odd bug. When using the 13MP shooter, the picture looks extremely grainy and the blacks are more like grays. The line of trees around our house don't look black, they look an ashy smoke grey. And the grainy-ness is so bad it almost looks distorted at certain points that my son was walking around.

And yet when taking "selfies" the front camera produces crystal clear, beautiful pictures. It seems like it should be the other way around.

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this or if I need to return this to TMO and get a replacement?

Tectas
Old
Thanks Meter 2,123

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkstwelve View Post
I don't know if this issue has been brought up yet or not, but I have an odd bug. When using the 13MP shooter, the picture looks extremely grainy and the blacks are more like grays. The line of trees around our house don't look black, they look an ashy smoke grey. And the grainy-ness is so bad it almost looks distorted at certain points that my son was walking around.

And yet when taking "selfies" the front camera produces crystal clear, beautiful pictures. It seems like it should be the other way around.

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this or if I need to return this to TMO and get a replacement?
Any samples pictures to know what exactly you're talking about?
But from what it sounds like, get a replacement, i have no such issues.

Here is a sample image:

Nitemare3219
Old
Thanks Meter 64
My selfie camera looks like crap and is slow inside with low lighting.. grainy and bright. The rear does better, but still bad. Outside both are great. Lighting is huge with this camera.

Sent from my LG G3
HTC G1 | HTC G2 | Galaxy Nexus | Nexus 4
Nexus 5 | Nexus 10

hawkstwelve
Old
(Last edited by hawkstwelve; 28th July 2014 at 12:34 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tectas View Post
Any samples pictures to know what exactly you're talking about?
But from what it sounds like, get a replacement, i have no such issues.

Here is a sample image:

Here's a sample picture that shows the blacks as the greys. Can't tell much about the grainy/pixelated part from this picture, but it gives you the idea.

Sent from my LG-D851 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

hawkstwelve
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 58
Deleted

rezadue
Old
Thanks Meter 27
When I broke the camera lens cover on my G2, I installed a replacement. After installing the replacement my pictures were like the one posted here.

Upon closer inspection I noticed a plastic removable film on the lens cover. When I took it off the pictures were great..

Check and make sure you don't have a protective plastic film left on your lens cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkstwelve View Post
Here's a sample picture that shows the blacks as the greys. Can't tell much about the grainy/pixelated part from this picture, but it gives you the idea.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LG G2 D803
Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 GT-N5110
Samsung Galaxy Camera EK-GC120
Samsung Google Nexus 10

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hawkstwelve
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezadue View Post
When I broke the camera lens cover on my G2, I installed a replacement. After installing the replacement my pictures were like the one posted here.

Upon closer inspection I noticed a plastic removable film on the lens cover. When I took it off the pictures were great..

Check and make sure you don't have a protective plastic film left on your lens cover.
Good suggestion, but there is no plastic film covering the camera. I'm fairly certain if I take it into TMO they will just exchange it. Might just go for that and see if it helps.