T-Mobile HTC One M8 Gets Selfie-Friendly Android 4.4.4 OTA

The T-Mobie variant of HTC One (M8) just now received an over-the-air update … more

Android L is for Lockdown

Root is, without a doubt, the (un)holy grail of the Android world. Those wonderful permissions that allow you as … more

XDA Xposed Tuesday: XHangouts Will Improve Your Hangouts

Ever since Google started supporting text messaging in Hangouts many people have … more

Shattered Screen? Turn Your Broken Device into a Complete Media Center!

A cracked screen usually means you’ll have to spend a hefty … more

any drawbacks to using Art?

OP Lorimere

9th July 2014, 12:26 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag North Carolina
Thanks Meter: 41

194 posts
Donate to Me
More
Ok. So phone will be here shortly and plan on doing a factory reset then switching to ART first thing.

Has anyone came across any drawbacks? Any apps not working correctly?
9th July 2014, 12:28 PM   |  #2  
Flag Graz
Thanks Meter: 2,163

2,965 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorimere

Ok. So phone will be here shortly and plan on doing a factory reset then switching to ART first thing.

xposed doesn't work, except of that i've faced none.
9th July 2014, 12:31 PM   |  #3  
Recognized Developer
Flag Essex, England
Thanks Meter: 1,475

5,755 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorimere

Some apps do not work with ART, its not a fault with ART itself, its a problem with the apps that only the app devs can correct.

Boot time will be longer with ART, but its hardly noticeable, and hopefully you don't reboot a lot anyway.

Benchmarks results will be lower on ART but it is because benchmark tests are not optimised to work with ART.
9th July 2014, 01:01 PM   |  #4  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 38

168 posts
Donate to Me
More
I run ART since day 1, only thing that doesn't work as far as I know is Xposed (But I'm not even rooted yet, so no issue)
Also, I haven't found any real differences on that phone between Dalvik and ART, but as I said, I didn't use it much on Dalvik.

I'm planning to root it after the first OTA (10b?) and I'll probably want to use the G3 TweakBox, so I'll be back to Dalvik until it's compatible with ART.
9th July 2014, 01:12 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 56

275 posts
any differences to battery life ? I have heard that with art is worst , Is this true?
9th July 2014, 01:20 PM   |  #6  
Recognized Developer
Flag Essex, England
Thanks Meter: 1,475

5,755 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimkit

any differences to battery life ? I have heard that with art is worst , Is this true?

No, if anything it is meant to be better on battery as it is no longer compiling things on the fly like Dalvik does, it does it all at boot time instead.
Last edited by Lennyuk; 9th July 2014 at 01:36 PM.
9th July 2014, 01:25 PM   |  #7  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 38

168 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Haven't seen any significant difference, but then again, I haven't done a lot of testing.
9th July 2014, 01:26 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 671

1,517 posts
More
Quote:

ART should theoretically give you better battery life. In practice though, I see the same battery life on Dalvik as I do with ART from Android 4.4.x KitKat

Battery life is 100% reliant on your personal usage patterns. Someone else with a totally different usage pattern could get more or even less battery life with ART. There's way way way too many variables

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread