G3 is water resistant?

Search This thread

ziggazee

Jan 23, 2009
Seems like the g3 has some level of water resistance like the HTC m8. It still worked fine after being submerged for 2hours.

LG G3 Water Test - Is it Water Resistant?: http://youtu.be/qQlEi-W7GCE

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Free mobile app

ThePagel

Jul 6, 2012
Minneapolis
I haven't held a g3 yet but its build looks a lot like the galaxy line of phones and the only things they added to the s5 to make it water resistant is a small bead of something on the lid that acts like weather stripping and a water tight lid for the usb 3 slot. Just add a bead of caulking to the g3 lid and buy a case with a usb cover. I bet you would be just as water resistant as any phone that is right out of box.

Last edited:

Pilz

Dec 1, 2013
Texas
That link was for the G Watch which is rated for water and dust resistance. You can just make your phone ip67 proof that easily there's a lot involved, the speaker for one has a nano water resistant coating of I remember correctly . ip67 is a lot harder to get than you think, the Z2 is only ip55 or 58? Which is lower than the 67 of the s5, but Sony has a higher water rating allowing it to be submerged deeper for a longer time.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Pilz

Dec 1, 2013
Texas
That link was for the G Watch which is rated for water and dust resistance. You can just make your phone ip67 proof that easily there's a lot involved, the speaker for one has a nano water resistant coating of I remember correctly . ip67 is a lot harder to get than you think, the Z2 is only ip55 or 58? Which is lower than the 67 of the s5, but Sony has a higher water rating allowing it to be submerged deeper for a longer time.

Edit: the link said g watch but it was the G3 my mistake.

ziggazee

Jan 23, 2009
Wouldn't ever try this. Ever.

True.. I think I would be hesitant to even try this using the z2 or g5 both of which are officially waterproof/resistant.. I damaged my s3 when I accidentally dropped that in the toilet lol the speaker stopped working and the screen would go blank every now and then. So its nice to know the g3 may survive if accidentally drop in a puddle

Last edited:

jd623

Jun 11, 2014
Battery dropped to 19% after 2 hours. Couldn't tell what it started at but looked pretty full.

Pedrules81

Mar 10, 2012
I wouldn't try it with my G3, it seems to be fake.
Even the Z2 is not covered by the guarantee if it fail due to water, so....
"Don't try at home!"

cpufrost

Feb 26, 2012
Big Country
Most electronics are water resistant providing the water is very clean.
Try that in seawater and I'm sure the end result will be far different. (ruined phone!)

In that "test" at the end there were beads of water under the back cover. That's a fail right there. Just because the device is still running does not mean it can be subjected to this abuse.

Also the water depth is very shallow in a wash bowl not even half filled! Trying this at the bottom of a pool in a meter of water would have resulted in very different results! Pool water is also far more conductive and if it's a salt water pool!!! :D

Bottom line, outside of a case with proven water proofing, keep your devices dry. Otherwise, all bets are off on reliability down the road.

manaox2

Oct 1, 2010
Try that in seawater and I'm sure the end result will be far different. (ruined phone!)

In that "test" at the end there were beads of water under the back cover. That's a fail right there. Just because the device is still running does not mean it can be subjected to this abuse.

Also the water depth is very shallow in a wash bowl not even half filled! Trying this at the bottom of a pool in a meter of water would have resulted in very different results! Pool water is also far more conductive and if it's a salt water pool!!! :D

Bottom line, outside of a case with proven water proofing, keep your devices dry. Otherwise, all bets are off on reliability down the road.

Was about to say this. It's the ions (minerals) in water that make it more conductive and short your devices. It's why you can submerge PC's in super clean oil for cooling and still have them work. Don't ever submerge your phone if avoidable.

Spoons89

Oct 8, 2014
yes it is

Unfortunately and as gross as this sounds...I dropped mine in the toilet. It was submerged for atleast 10 seconds before i realized. Dont ask. Just make sure you put it fully in your pocket before standing. After a full sanitizing...and I mean full...it still works fine. No issuses at all. Never turned off...never flickered...

Although I do have an Otterbox on it. That probably helped.

if4ct0r

Nov 19, 2011
Google Pixel 6
Well.. I have seen videos of the submergence testing on the G3 and it coming out okay from it. But if it actually were true manufacturers would jump to label & sell it as it makes a great marketing point.

But LG didn't, and they must have a reason for it. That's why I wouldn't go too careless with my phone.

meyerweb

Jun 19, 2010
I did actually and it was for the G Watch. I am aware that it was supposed to be the G3 but I wouldn't put mine in water.

The something's weird, because the video I saw when clicking on that link very clearly shows a G3 dunked in a glass bowl full of water. Not a Gwatch in sight.

salazar44

Dec 17, 2010
I can say that my phone survived after being in a my swimming trunks for 1 hour before I realized I jumped in the pool while it was still in my pocket. I didnt realized that I had swam with it until after I got out. The phone was dead, but then I immediately removed the battery cover and battery. After shaking the water out a bit, pushing the water out through the usb and phone jack holes, I then let it dry out in the sun while I reluctantly tried not to let it ruin my vacation.

Later on that night I used a blow dryer to blow warm air into any and all holes I could see in the phone case. Then I put in a spare battery and the phone started right up! Granted the lower half of my screen had some moisture in it. I can tell because the screen was really bright there. So I turned the phone off, pulled the battery and started blow drying a bit more. After restarting, i noticed the moisture in the screen was less.

A few days later I would say my phone is fully recovered. Speakers work fine, microphone, bluetooth, gps, wifi, etc. I am semi surprised, but not so much because of the lack of moving parts in the phone. for instance, my ipod classic with a hard drive never recovered.

The only thing that I do not think has fully recovered is the battery that was submerged. this battery does not seem to hold a charge as good as it used to. but thats fine... as long as I didnt have to replace my phone. Luckily I had the spare battery already.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Seems like the g3 has some level of water resistance like the HTC m8. It still worked fine after being submerged for 2hours.

LG G3 Water Test - Is it Water Resistant?: http://youtu.be/qQlEi-W7GCE

Wouldn't ever try this. Ever.
    I didn't even think about the speakers

Well the guy who made the video said the speaker and in call microphone still works perfectly even after a day so I reckon this phone has some level of ip rating.