Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,934 Members 37,562 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Google Cardboard G3

Tip us?

Osseon
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 25
Default Google Cardboard G3

Has anyone tried Google Cardboard for the G3's 1440p Display? I'd imagine its an entirely unique experience for this device's high resolution.

iBuzman
Old
Thanks Meter 500
Ive loaded it, haven't yet made my "cardboard viewer". Will report back...

wyase9
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBuzman View Post
Ive loaded it, haven't yet made my "cardboard viewer". Will report back...

Have recently bought a plastic viewer, which is pretty much like cardboard, but more sturdy (I guess).
The experience is wonderful. There is a video viewer software on google play, where it takes normal video and splits it for each eye (as the eyes are split, so you cannot view it through normal player). It looks amazing with the right content, like being in a massive cinema all by yourself !!

Have not tried it with other phones to compare, but with the G3, it looks amazing.

scoppola
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I got the Dodocase one. Problem is, the screen is too large for the lenses, so you don't see the whole screen. I haven't found anything all that interesting to do with it. Played with it for a few minutes, and probably won't touch it again for a long time. The 3D Google Earth thing would be cool if the quality wasn't so bad (stutters a lot, takes a long time to render, and looks generally bad).

heymecalvy
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I kinda agree with scoppola here. I got the Dodocase VR kit as well (really well made, BTW, great quality cardboard, feels nice and sturdy). With the Nexus 5, the screen is the right size for the lenses to focus well. But trying it with the OnePlus One, the 5.5" display seemed to be a bit out of focus, unfortunately. Not sure what the best way to remedy this might be, just scooting the screen back a little bit might help. But it seemed difficult to view the whole image properly from that focal length