FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

hotspot/tethering with no internet acess

3 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By dubcmj, Junior Member on 20th March 2015, 05:17 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi all,

I have an issue when trying to use wifi hotspot or USB tethering. I am able to connect to the G3 without any issues, but when I connect there is no Internet access on the device I connect with (the G3 still has Internet access when tethered). I have tested this with my laptop and also a different phone and neither device can access the Internet when tethered to the G3. I have also tested the sim card in another device, and confirmed that the sim is not the cause of the problem - the G3 is definitely the cause.

Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening, or how to fix it? I'd prefer not to root the phone.

Details:
LG G3 D855, 32 GB version.
Software: V20c-SEA
I am not rooted and I'm using the stock ROM.

20th March 2015, 07:00 AM |#2  
OP Junior Member

More
I have just discovered that tethering will work on my phone when I disable 4G.

i.e. when I select "GSM/WCDMA auto" as my preferred network mode, tethering works.
when I select "GSM/WCDMA/LTE auto", tethering will not work (as described in first post).

Does anyone know why LTE would prevent tethering from working?
20th March 2015, 07:20 AM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
OK, so I finally managed to find a very simple solution to my own problem. I'll post here in case anyone else has the same problem.

In phone settings, go to:
Tethering & Networks --> Mobile Networks --> Access point names
Click on your relevant APN to get into the settings.
Edit "APN type" and delete it so it's empty (mine previously said "default").
Save the changes.

That's it! Tethering should work now.
8th September 2015, 03:12 PM |#4  

More
That's fantastic dubcmj!!!

Worked perfectly for me too. So happy right now!
1st February 2016, 03:50 AM |#5  
Ottawa
Thanks Meter: 57

More
I got a Rogers G3 and had no internet access after connect to hotspot. The Rogers APN cannot be edited. So I created a new APN with just the name and ltemobile.apn, leave all other settings blank. Tethering works now.
6th May 2016, 12:54 AM |#6  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubcmj

Hi all,

I have an issue when trying to use wifi hotspot or USB tethering. I am able to connect to the G3 without any issues, but when I connect there is no Internet access on the device I connect with (the G3 still has Internet access when tethered). I have tested this with my laptop and also a different phone and neither device can access the Internet when tethered to the G3. I have also tested the sim card in another device, and confirmed that the sim is not the cause of the problem - the G3 is definitely the cause.

Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening, or how to fix it? I'd prefer not to root the phone.

Details:
LG G3 D855, 32 GB version.
Software: V20c-SEA
I am not rooted and I'm using the stock ROM.

Yep. Exact same problem.

---------- Post added at 11:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 PM ----------

Good thread. The above didn't solve for my issue but pointed me in the right direction. My network provider (OPTUS AUSTRALIA) had multiple APN's. Tethering with the default APN failed to allow internet access via wifi hotspot. I changed the APN to default using a different APN and reconnected my laptop and this now works. The alternative was to turn the phone off and on again which was driving me nuts. I hope this helps anyone else with the same issue.
19th September 2016, 05:20 PM |#7  

More
Thanx.
Worked for me.

Thanks.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)