Wearable Apps w/ Andreas Göransson – XDA:DevCon 2014

XDA:DevCon 2014 in Manchester, UK featured quite a few interesting topics as … more

Browse Your Files with Ease using MK Explorer

Google has made quite an effort in perfecting the powerful and multi-faceted OS that we know as … more

How to Fix the Nexus Available Storage Bug – XDA TV

Is your Nexus device only showing half of the available storage as it should? Many … more

Don’t Forget About Birthdays with Birthday Reminder

A person’s birthday is, without a doubt,one of the most important days in his … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

How's ART

OP PunishedSnake

14th July 2014, 10:35 AM   |  #11  
Recognized Developer
Flag Essex, England
Thanks Meter: 1,658

6,086 posts
Donate to Me
More
At the risk of angering a lot of people on here I wish to put forward the view that 99% of the increase in performance people believe they get on ART is just placebo at this time.

The ART build on the G3 is the ART build that came with android 4.4.2 - this is now very outdated and in no way reflects the power of ART on the Android L. There are various articles and youtube videos showing that there are virtually no differences between dalvik and ART on android 4.4.2 and indeed most top developers recommended (and still do!) that you don't use ART until android L.

In terms of real world experience, I have had my D855 since release day, I spent one week on Dalvik, then one week on ART, I was amazed by the performance increase (I tweeted about it a lot!) then I switched back to Dalvik for the last 4 days and I have had no drop in performance.

Anyone who has spent a lengthy period on ART I implore you to switch back to Dalvik for a few days, you will be surprised by how little the differences actually are.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lennyuk For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th July 2014, 11:25 AM   |  #12  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 39

169 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennyuk

At the risk of angering a lot of people on here I wish to put forward the view that 99% of the increase in performance people believe they get on ART is just placebo at this time.

The ART build on the G3 is the ART build that came with android 4.4.2 - this is now very outdated and in no way reflects the power of ART on the Android L. There are various articles and youtube videos showing that there are virtually no differences between dalvik and ART on android 4.4.2 and indeed most top developers recommended (and still do!) that you don't use ART until android L.

In terms of real world experience, I have had my D855 since release day, I spent one week on Dalvik, then one week on ART, I was amazed by the performance increase (I tweeted about it a lot!) then I switched back to Dalvik for the last 4 days and I have had no drop in performance.

Anyone who has spent a lengthy period on ART I implore you to switch back to Dalvik for a few days, you will be surprised by how little the differences actually are.

Exactly my experience. I was happy with ART then I swiched back, still happy
14th July 2014, 12:48 PM   |  #13  
Flag Atlanta, Ga.
Thanks Meter: 741

1,601 posts
More
Quote:

I've been an advocate of ART since 4.4 KitKat. On my nexus 5, ART makes multitasking faster than when using Dalvik. I also see a little less stutter when scrolling through pages with a lot of 'post' type elements. This isn't a night and day comparison, but it is definitely noticeable on my end. You can say it's a placebo, but in my eyes, there is a micro-stutter on Dalvik when pressing the multitasking button as well as when switching to another app.

I'm not saying you're wrong and demanding that I'm right. It's just been my experience. I switch apps and multitask a lot, so it's very noticeable for me. I don't see any benchmark improvements, I don't see any increase in battery life, but I do see a difference on my Nexus 5.

I'll give the G3 a week or so on Dalvik before I make the switch though. It depend on how often I see this UI lag that everyone has been talking about. I'll be getting my G3 sometime today. Hopefully before lunch

I should note that I don't sacrifice anything when using ART. All of my apps work on ART just like they do on Dalvik. So it's not like I'm losing anything by using ART instead of Dalvik(on my N5)
14th July 2014, 12:52 PM   |  #14  
Thanks Meter: 36

696 posts
Quote:

I did just that because I wanted to use Xposed and it's Lag City everywhere!! The slowness is really getting on my nerves.. maybe it's time for a factory reset..

Let's hope Xposed runs on ART in the very near future...

*edit*
I found the reason for the lag, it was xPrivacy! once I got rid of it, the lag improved quite a lot. Not as good as a brand new phone but much better than previously. Interestingly enough xPrivacy didn't lag my note 3 at all..
Last edited by lukesky; 15th July 2014 at 03:46 AM.
14th July 2014, 10:11 PM   |  #15  
Flag Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 51

419 posts
More
I ran my D850 on Dalvik for the first day. It seemed a little laggy.

Switched to ART on the second day - thought I saw a small improvement, but it could have been placebo. Installed Nova and froze a bunch of the bloat.

Here's the kicker: I then installed Xposed and used the D850 for several hours before I realized that it had switched back to Dalvik. I never noticed a drop in performance. I would argue that changing the launcher, installing Xposed mods, and the G3 TweaksBox, made a much bigger impact on performance than ART.
15th July 2014, 05:47 AM   |  #16  
Hoffman Estates, IL
Thanks Meter: 338

1,122 posts
This phone also takes a much longer time than normal to "settle" in. I was having terrible keyboard lag the first day which slowly let up over time. Now a week and a half later I don't have issues with it but I did switch to ART on day 2. I don't have any apps that aren't incompatible with ART so I won't be switching back. All I know is I lagged like a bitch the first day and a half and switching to art gave me a bit of speed over time. Now it's flawless. Would it be the same with dalvik? Maybe. I'm not willing to try. I need the phone for work and I type long emails and it was horrendous before.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread