Cyngn, OnePlus, Micromax – The Legal Battle

Recently, a battle has been waging in India over the rights to distribute the commercial … more

Lean Mean Battery Power Saving App Review

We talk a lot about battery topics here at XDA TV. We talk about everything from Power Banks to USB … more

Android 5.1 Possibly Coming February 2015

Google released Android 5.0 just over a month ago, and since then Lollipop has been trying to … more

Double Tap to Wake on the Nexus 6 Without Root

A few weeks ago, we featured an app which allowed the Nexus 6 to regain the double tap to wake … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] LG D851 (Unbranded/Unlocked)?

OP shadym1lkman

9th July 2014, 05:19 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 12

62 posts
Has anyone in their travels come across an unlocked D851 for sale? I want to buy this phone as it comes with Band IV LTE for TMob in the USA. I cant seem to find it, not like too many models are available this week regardless. However with the pre order TMob page up, I was wondering if the unlocked/unbranded version had made it to order pages.

will the D855 work on tmob. i saw a screen that listed all the LTE bands through a service menu, does that mean I could order it and turn the radio on?

Thanks
9th July 2014, 05:21 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 72

552 posts
You'd have to buy an unlock code most likely. And I don't think there is going to be an unbranded one sold.
9th July 2014, 05:25 PM   |  #3  
OP Member

62 posts
So just buy it from TMO, unlock it, buy a backplate then flash the **** out of it and keep it moving?
9th July 2014, 05:30 PM   |  #4  

552 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadym1lkman

So just buy it from TMO, unlock it, buy a backplate then flash the **** out of it and keep it moving?

Yeah, bedsides the flashing part as of now the boot loader is locked.
9th July 2014, 05:34 PM   |  #5  
OP Member

62 posts
Damn, I couldnt get the stock international rom, Im really trying to avoid any carrier involvement? Do you know anything about the LTE being able to be switched on.. The D855 is being sold 'sim free' (as they say in the EU) seems like the only option as of now.. if its possible of course.
9th July 2014, 05:42 PM   |  #6  

552 posts
Quote:

Damn, I couldnt get the stock international rom, Im really trying to avoid any carrier involvement? Do you know anything about the LTE being able to be switched on.. The D855 is being sold 'sim free' (as they say in the EU) seems like the only option as of now.. if its possible of course.

You can use a custom ROM in the development section. Just no custom kernel and such

---------- Post added at 10:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 AM ----------

Quote:

D855 won't work for att LTE
9th July 2014, 05:57 PM   |  #7  
OP Member

62 posts
Itd be Band IV (1700MHz) for TMOBILE

I dont know if you can turn frequencies on for instance from a service menu such as this one: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...4&postcount=49
9th July 2014, 05:59 PM   |  #8  

552 posts
I dont think it has that. It has 2100 but not 1700 AFAIK. And if the phone doesn't have the frequencies you can't just turn them on. Its a hardware thing.
9th July 2014, 06:14 PM   |  #9  
OP Member

62 posts
Yea, Ive been out of the game for a few years. So I was/am unsure about whether or not the SoC has all the HW radios necessary but the software dictates the frequencies to Rx/Tx from/to.. leaving the supply chain simpler for the manufacturer.

Thanks for all your help Lost, i appreciate it! Probably just order the TMO D851 to ensure HW compatibility and then deal with the software as necessary.. The kernel being locked makes me wonder if non-carrier models be easier to crack.
9th July 2014, 06:16 PM   |  #10  

552 posts
Yeah a lot of people are saying the SoC supports many bands but the fact is that they have to have approval from the FCC to have those bands be unable at all on the phones.

---------- Post added at 11:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 AM ----------

Quote:

Yea, Ive been out of the game for a few years. So I was/am unsure about whether or not the SoC has all the HW radios necessary but the software dictates the frequencies to Rx/Tx from/to.. leaving the supply chain simpler for the manufacturer.

Thanks for all your help Lost, i appreciate it! Probably just order the TMO D851 to ensure HW compatibility and then deal with the software as necessary.. The kernel being locked makes me wonder if non-carrier models be easier to crack.

I hope so as I have a Korean one lol I want it to be unlocked soon.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread