Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,274 Members 39,032 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

LG G3 - Cracked Lens after few hours out of the box

Tip us?
 
DroidApprentice
Old
#11  
DroidApprentice's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 80
Posts: 769
Join Date: Nov 2010
It is one of the areas of the phone which get hotter from use, but I find that an unlikely factor in causing that problem.
 
supposedmonster
Old
#12  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 27
Join Date: Apr 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidApprentice View Post
It is one of the areas of the phone which get hotter from use, but I find that an unlikely factor in causing that problem.
Yeah, I'm really at a loss. I kept it in the bathroom as I showered, but it doesn't get that hot/humid...not enough that one would think it'd make a substantial difference.
 
WilliamStern
Old
#13  
WilliamStern's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 39
Posts: 636
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Miami, Fl.
Hate to say it, but my lens just cracked as well about an hour ago. I went to take the phone off my desk, and it kinda slipped from my fingers. The phone never made it completely off the desk. The two bottom corners were still touching, and the top half maybe a few cm off. Nothing I would ever consider a drop. When I flipped the phone around, to my surprise the lens was cracked. I don't know what to say? Any other phone I've owned in the past this wouldn't have happened to it in this very same situation.
Current
HTC Droid DNA [ROM] Stock Jelly Bean [4.1.1]

Launcher
Stock
 
supposedmonster
Old
#14  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 27
Join Date: Apr 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamStern View Post
Hate to say it, but my lens just cracked as well about an hour ago. I went to take the phone off my desk, and it kinda slipped from my fingers. The phone never made it completely off the desk. The two bottom corners were still touching, and the top half maybe a few cm off. Nothing I would ever consider a drop. When I flipped the phone around, to my surprise the lens was cracked. I don't know what to say? Any other phone I've owned in the past this wouldn't have happened to it in this very same situation.
Yeah, man. My old HTC M7...I always run skinless, treat my phones like dirt. Dropped it maybe three times onto concrete from waist height, nothing. So this is pretty gnarly.

Update on T-Mobile, they basically said that they'd take it back under warranty IF it's a manufacturer's defect. But because it's physical damage, they'll probably flag it as user error and charge me for it. I'm claiming manufacturer's defect because I swear this happened spontaneously without a drop whatsoever. So now I basically have to call LG directly, and I'd probably be up for a fight. If anyone here has experience or advice it'd be greatly appreciated.
 
julz05
Old
#15  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 2
Join Date: Apr 2009
Default Same Issue

Hey, I had the same issue with the AT&T version, ended up having to send it back along with my powermat (since I assumed that might have caused the crack). They repaired it without charge since they determined that it was indeed a manufacture defect. So if you have something similar it is probably a manufacture defect, and hopefully they will make a note of this soon.
 
idelgado782
Old
#16  
idelgado782's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 126
Posts: 754
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Union, NJ

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by julz05 View Post
Hey, I had the same issue with the AT&T version, ended up having to send it back along with my powermat (since I assumed that might have caused the crack). They repaired it without charge since they determined that it was indeed a manufacture defect. So if you have something similar it is probably a manufacture defect, and hopefully they will make a note of this soon.
I just looked at my phone last night and I have the same issue. I'm on att and I'm going to call them today to see if they will repair it for me. I'm a bit upset honestly. The camera world buy the broken glass distorts the pictures and makes them look foggy. Julz05 who did you send it back to? LG or AT&T?

No matter what, I can never stay away from android for long.
Addicted to flashing! It all started on my Nexus S........., Then Galaxy Nexus, upgraded to the Galaxy S3, Couldn't resist to take notes on a Note 2 & Note 10.1, Upgraded to the GS4, and now i'm rocking my LG G3 paired with the LTE LG G PAD 7.0
 
julz05
Old
#17  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 2
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by idelgado782 View Post
I just looked at my phone last night and I have the same issue. I'm on att and I'm going to call them today to see if they will repair it for me. I'm a bit upset honestly. The camera world buy the broken glass distorts the pictures and makes them look foggy. Julz05 who did you send it back to? LG or AT&T?

No matter what, I can never stay away from android for long.
I sent it back to LG. I called the LG service number and explained the problem, they issue a RA# and you have to send it to their warehouse. Took them almost 2 weeks to fix the phone, and they are just mailing it back now
 
idelgado782
Old
#18  
idelgado782's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 126
Posts: 754
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Union, NJ

 
DONATE TO ME
I wanted to come back and post an update for my circumstance just in case any in the future needs to do the same.

Unfortunately I couldn't send my unit back to att or lg because my water damage sticker had been tripped. I had my phone in my pocket and I went on a ride in an amusement park and didn't realize we want under waterfalls! Needless to say I got soaked and water seeped into the phone but after sticking it in rice overnight I was lucky enough to not have water damage besides the tripped sensor. I went on a search and found a seller on eBay selling the top piece which includes the camera lens cover, power/volume rocker. It cost $38 plus $6 shipping and took about a week to get to me. To replace it was fairly easy. Removed 7 screws and unsnapped the old part and then applied the new piece.

One thing to note: the original piece States 850 in various areas and the new piece States 855. However it is the same exact part and for $44 I replaced itself myself without having to be without my phone. Here are some pictures :





Here's the link for the eBay auction http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...850263&alt=web

No matter what, I can never stay away from android for long.
Addicted to flashing! It all started on my Nexus S........., Then Galaxy Nexus, upgraded to the Galaxy S3, Couldn't resist to take notes on a Note 2 & Note 10.1, Upgraded to the GS4, and now i'm rocking my LG G3 paired with the LTE LG G PAD 7.0

The Following User Says Thank You to idelgado782 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes