Easily Toggles Your Lollipop Mobile Data Network Type

Android Lollipop is by good margin the most advanced and refinedversion of … more

Unofficial CM12 for Android One, Disabling Encryption on Nexus 6 – XDA TV

Android One devices have received an Unofficial CyanogenMod … more

Pushbullet Universal Copy/Paste Availabe for Linux, Mac OS X

Pushbullet is one of those useful utilities that once installed, permanently … more

Enable the Hidden Notification LED on the Google Nexus 6!

LED notification lights have existed on Android devices since the very beginnings … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

LG G3 - Cracked Lens after few hours out of the box

OP mosesbd

17th October 2014, 03:11 AM   |  #21  
Thanks Meter: 104

507 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilslickjim

Hi - today I found the exact same fault in my phone. Like other posts here, I did not drop it or get any impact on the phone.

I am in New Zealand and am really disappointed in what I thought was otherwise a great phone. I now have to waste my time trying to establish whether I have any cover for this problem and also realise that it looks like impact damage and technicians will claim it was my fault.

I think this is a manufacturing fault and reading here confirms that something is very wrong here.

Thanks.

GUTTED!
17th October 2014, 09:47 PM   |  #22  
Flag Auckland
Thanks Meter: 0

9 posts
More
Pictures
Thought I would post up pictures so they would eventually show in a Google search for people with the same issue. I really feel that this must be a manufacturing defect and would like to hear whether anyone here actually had the lens damage covered by warranty.

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20141018_080730.jpg - [Click for QR Code] (243.5 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg 20141018_080854.jpg - [Click for QR Code] (235.3 KB, 106 views)
Last edited by oilslickjim; 17th October 2014 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Pictures were not showing.
18th October 2014, 04:23 AM   |  #23  
Flag Auckland
Thanks Meter: 0

9 posts
More
Youtube Clip for this
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilslickjim

Thought I would post up pictures so they would eventually show in a Google search for people with the same issue. I really feel that this must be a manufacturing defect and would like to hear whether anyone here actually had the lens damage covered by warranty.

Thanks.

Update link to Youtube Clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH1fNexSNQk

Made that to spread the warning. I am really annoyed about this and perplexed as to LG making a camera lens that shockingly is able to break in normal safe daily use.
18th October 2014, 09:44 AM   |  #24  
Flag California
Thanks Meter: 6

95 posts
More
sorry for your troubles brotha
Yesterday, 02:52 AM   |  #25  
Flag NJ
Thanks Meter: 212

532 posts
I had the same thing happen to mine today...shattered out of nowhere....phone never was dropped or even slipped out of my hand...just pulled it out of my front pocket today and saw the camera glass completely shattered.
Yesterday, 03:29 AM   |  #26  
Thanks Meter: 51

122 posts
More
Why so many skeptics thinking this isn't a manufacturers defect? I don't even have this issue and I'm convinced it is a manufacturers defect.

It's already been admitted by LG that ir ports and mic ports are cracking from a manufacturers defect (Which I can almost guarantee is caused from to much heat)
And I'm 99% certain it's the same heat issue severely weakening the camera lens causing this to happen.
I know heat can cause hard substances like hard plastic and glass to crack because heat makes hard substances harder but more brittle.
I've seen heat crack a cpu core before, Which is made from glass. And if heat can split a glass cpu core in half then I can't see any reason why it couldn't crack the glass above the camera which is only a few millimeters away from 50c-80c temps

I was doing some testing with a custom kernel on my G3 the other day and realized the stock gpu frequency in my case is what is making my phone get hot, once underclocked it's as cool as a cucumber but it stutters and lags.
My final conclusion is, This phone "as is" needs a SD805 for the adreno 420 GPU so it can run at lower frequencys at the same performance but since we can't do that our only option seems to be a gpu underclock which needs root, bump and a custom kernel to accomplish and it will cause stutters and lags but seems to resolve all heat issues my G3 used to have.

The GPU on this phone at stock IDLES at around 60% of it's max gpu frequency just having the screen on NOT DOING ANYTHING, LG did this to ensure a "smooth" experience at these resolutions.

Phone Specs:
- D852
- Rin 1.7.0 Kernel
- CloudyG3 1.2 Rom
Last edited by Amb669; Yesterday at 05:13 AM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread