Stumbled upon the answer. I was looking through the pages and pages of "new" calls when I realized that these were all call log records that came over from my iPhone. I used the LG PC suite to transfer my texts, calls, etc. to the new phone and it seems that all the call records go in as "new" as sit above today or any recent calls. As I didn't want to lose my recent calls, I went through the call log call by call and deleted every call categorized as "new" and now it's working perfectly - call logs are properly displayed by date in descending order of most recent first.
I discovered this will on hold with LG support via "chat". They were more than useless. The rep said she didn't even have an G3 at her location to try and understand the problem and gave me the usual 'factory reset' to fix it. I told here there was zero percent chance I'd do a factory reset and have to spend hours to get my phone back to my setup without any assurance it would even work (which it wouldn't have if I'd done the PC Suite transfer again) and told her she should, in no way, categorize my call as "solved or finished" based on suggesting a factory reset. My expectation for tech support was near zero and LG didn't disappoint. The support was worthless. Thank goodness for XDA.