Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,022 Members 53,420 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] G3 Nook App Issue

Tip us?

harryzee
Old
(Last edited by harryzee; 29th July 2014 at 11:20 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Question [Q] G3 Nook App Issue

Proud new owner (7/26) of Verizon G3 AND LG G Pad 8.3. Could not pass up the $99.00 offer given with my phone update along with a couple of more sweeteners re the 8.3. So far I like it and it will probably replace my NooK HD+ running Android 4.2.2 in place of the BN software.

MY Question and/or problem:

When using the Nook App on the 8.3, all is well and the bar at the bottom of the page contains both your location slider and, just below it, the "Home, Contents, Search, Text, Brightness, and Details" bar. Everything functioning normally.

However, with my G3 and the same App, all I have at the bottom of the page is the location slider. If the other bar is there it is below the screen level and totally inaccessible. I have even switched the three soft keys at the bottom so that they appear only for the first few seconds after I open the book and then disappear until I do an upswipe to restore them. Still "no joy"!

My main need for this is accessing the "text" button so I can change the text size, spacing, and margins which I cannot currently do.

Any idea as to why this is happening and/or what the fix or workaround may be?

Thanks in advance.

PS: For the first time since I had my original Nook Color and Samsung Galaxy Nexus, I don't feel compelled to root or totally convert either of these two new units. Having completely (and successfully) converted all three (including the HD+) over the last few years to full Android status, I am a bit surprised at this turn of events.

PPS: Just got off the phone with BN tech support and the issue has been kicked upstairs to higher tier. I am supposed to hear back in 24-72 hours.
Could this be some type of 4.4 conflict showing up on the G3 only as everything I have used with 4.2 does not exhibit this issue?

harryzee
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Major Update:
On Friday August 1, Verizon issued an "OTA" to 4.4.2 for the LG G Pad 8.3.
I successfully d/l and installed it. Upon rebooting, I immediately opened the Nook App and it continued to function normally as it had under 4.2.2 with all settings accessible.
So now the G3 and G Pad 8.3 (both Verizon) have the same Android OS (4.4.2) and only the G3 still continues to exhibit no settings access (icon at top of page and bar at bottom both still missing) for the Nook App.Otherwise it (the app) works as it should. No other apps on the G3 (including Kindle) exhibit this or any other issue.
Any ideas, thoughts, and/or possible solutions?
Took both units to Verizon and BN today and "they" are stumped!
Have sent the updated info to BN/Nook tech support and am awaiting a reply,
The Following User Says Thank You to harryzee For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

crenca
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default I have same problem with my AT&T LG G3...

So it does appear to be a Android 4.4 issue or perhaps something to do with LG's skin of 4.4. It's a shame really because I much prefer Nook's reader to Kindle's but I will be purchasing my books through them until Nook fixes this. Let us know if you hear of a solution...