Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,216 Members 53,341 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Massive Data Usage

Tip us?

louballs
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q] Massive Data Usage

Not really sure where to put this, but I am on a t-mobile network and have always had 2GB per month. For the past 2 years I have NEVER gone over that amount. So I upgraded to this phone this month and upgraded to 3GB of data per month. Now I have ten days left until my billing cycle ends and I am already at 2.96GB of usage?? I haven't used my phone differently and I use wifi almost exclusively in my house. I'm not calling conspiracy, but its weird that all of the sudden with a new phone and new plan my data usage goes up. Today alone I hardly used my phone but it says I used 275MB on Chrome. All I did was search a few things on google. No video or anything! Any thoughts??

sonspot
Old
Thanks Meter 19
I've had the phone for two weeks, I've been using Wi-Fi and data. I've only used 274mb so far that includes streaming music and some YouTube. Check under mobile data to see what's using What.. My data usage should be higher but there's no Rom to download lol

TheStickMan
Old
Thanks Meter 61
Post a screenshot of your mobile data usage from the Settings app..

xlxcrossing
Old
(Last edited by xlxcrossing; 26th August 2014 at 05:43 AM.)
Thanks Meter 306
Actually you should dial #WEB# for an accurate data usage reading. I think I had the same issue as you. After my first day owning the device my data usage in settings showed approximately 500mb used...in one day mind you. Later I found out about the dialer code and relied on that solely as my meter, not even the lame T-Mobile usage app either since it didn't update for days at a time. I also upgraded from 1gb to 3gb mid cycle and watched my data go from about 900mb used down to around 500. Something funky is going on with the native usage meter.

E_Goldstein
Old
Thanks Meter 117
Oh well hehe

Try turning sync off certain apps
Galaxy Note 2 16gig
HTC Leo - 32gig micro sd
S/E X8i

valefour
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Did you adjust the date on you usage cycle? I noticed while upgrading that this doesn't set itself so it might be reading data from before your new cycle started.

---------- Post added at 09:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 AM ----------

I can barely survive with 5gb. Lol

louballs
Old
(Last edited by louballs; 27th August 2014 at 07:39 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Below are my data logs. However, when I run #web# it reads 2765MB, but the Tmobile tracker shows 2956MB. I don't know which is correct, but it seems tmobile is using the higher amount as they have sent me alerts that I am near my limit. Also, i've read online that some people are showing that music streaming is causing their data to go up even though it shouldn't. I turned off all of my syncing and ran spotify for a couple hours last night and my usage DID go up. Maybe there is an ongoing issue with tmobile.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 1.jpg - [Click for QR Code] (67.8 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2.jpg - [Click for QR Code] (57.3 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot 3.jpg - [Click for QR Code] (61.0 KB, 109 views)

TheStickMan
Old
Thanks Meter 61
Your mobile tracks in precise measurements. Your carrier tracks in 1KB (or whatever) blocks. So lots of small usage will take up more allowance than it should.

sykozylot
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlxcrossing View Post
Actually you should dial #WEB# for an accurate data usage reading.
How does one do this? I'm only able to dial numbers.

TheStickMan
Old
Thanks Meter 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by sykozylot View Post
How does one do this? I'm only able to dial numbers.
Me too.