Nvidia and Robotics w/ Barrett Williams – XDA:DevCon 2014

Robotics continues to dominate our videos from this years XDA:DevCon 2014 in … more

Speed Up Deodexing with JoelDroid Batch Deodexer

Android 5.0 Lollipop brings many under-the-hood changes like changing the default compiler … more

Top 5 Apps for 2014 + Top Xposed Mod of 2014 – XDA TV

Its that time of year where you look back and remember the things that happened … more

NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet Gets Android 5.0.1, OTA Available

The NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet is the latest Android-powered device released by famed GPU … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Motion Sensor Issues

OP TyWillems19

7th August 2014, 05:45 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 19

33 posts
More
Hey guys,

This post is going to discuss an issue I had (and solved) with the motion sensor becoming stuck in the LG G3.

(My original thought was hardware failure)

So I know there aren't a whole ton of known issues out since the G3 is still new, but I just wanted to share one that I encountered that I thought could possibly be an issue that other people encounter, mainly because of how it happened, and my previous experience with the usage of smartphones in general.

So here is what happened:

I had my G3 from the release (Verizon) on the 17th of July. I had a hard case on it (black double enclosure case) and a tempered glass screen protector. I had chosed the case because I had used the exact same case on my previous HTC Thunderbolt and HTC Rezound and found that it was reliable and incredibly durable. Obviously, the reason for buying the case was to protect the phone from the instance that we all dread when we watch our beautiful smart phones fall in slow motion and hit the ground, hoping the no harm had come to your baby. Well, unfortunately it happened much sooner than I ever expected, and I saw my phone fall from about 3 feet up. Now, fortunately the fall wasn't very high at all, and in the past I had experienced my phones taking much stronger of a beating (rarely, but it happens nonetheless. I take excellent care of my electronics in general). I picked up the phone and examined it, and to no surprise everything seemed just fine so I thought nothing of it. Now after some time, I noticed that my screen wouldn't auto-rotate and I was a little confused at first. I thought it was hardware failure and I was a little concerned about the quality of the G3 at first, and I thought of the drop, but was just too far beyond the idea that such a small impact would completely break the motion sensing capabilities. After calling and troubleshooting at much as I could, I decided I was going to have to send my phone in the be repaired (at my F***ing expense...). Before going through the process, however, I had to give something one more try. I downloaded a ball-falling game to see what would happen with the motion sensing in the game. I opened it up and saw that instantly the ball would fall straight to the right of the screen. I looked, and thought back to how I saw my phone fall (very vivid in my mind, almost scaring trust me). It had hit the right side most definitely.

So here is the cool part. I thought, there is no way that the motion sensor became "stuck" because of a fall of that caliber. Or at all, I didn't really even think that it was possible for such a thing to happen lol. But I gave it a shot, and enclosed my phone in its case to make sure it would take as little damage as possible, but I went ahead and dropped the phone on its left side. I only dropped it from about a foot to be safe, but sure enough, I tried the game again and it worked perfectly. So that was my solution.

Basically to sum all this up, my motion sensor got stuck, and I had to jar the phone enough to knock it loose again (or at least that is how I understand it. The hardware might work in a different way, but this still worked).

I just wanted to post this story here just in case we find out that the G3 happens to have a tempermental motion sensing hardware device.

So if you have this issue, give it a try.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TyWillems19 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th August 2014, 12:06 PM   |  #2  
Flag Orlando, FL
Thanks Meter: 8

64 posts
More
Dude, OMG, thank you so much!!! It helped! A few hours ago i dropped my g3 (also in a case) in my room on a carpet. it bounced and hit my bed's metal frame just a little bit. Later i realized screen won't rotate. l never thought it was because of that fall (damn it!). After reading this post, all i did was knocking one of the phone's corners against same metal frame ����. For others: hit each corner lightly against a table untill you see screen rotating. Phone should be in a case.
P.S. i hope will not see any promlems, because i really love my new G3!
11th September 2014, 12:37 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 11

86 posts
More
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, what the !@#$

Thanks! Wish I would have found this an hour ago!

---------- Post added at 04:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 PM ----------

Also, to anyone scanning this page instead of reading full story...

Bang on the phone to fix, accelerometer is physically stuck

Then thank TyWillems19
14th September 2014, 09:57 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 1

6 posts
This is crazy but briliant!!
I dropped mine the other day and noticed that rotation wasnt working.
I donloaded the sensor tests and saw that my accelerometer Yaxis was stuck.
So after reading my post i decided to try it. I banged my phone a few time on top and a few times on the bottom(because it was the yaxis)
And to my shock the accelerometer got unstuck.
Brilliant post guys thanks a lot!!
26th September 2014, 03:46 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 7

181 posts
Wow. Ive had this phone for 5 days and this just happened to me. Guess the hardware is pretty low quality for this to happen. Guess this won't be the last time this happens if it happened so quickly. Thank you so much for this solution.
6th November 2014, 12:18 PM   |  #6  
Flag Valencia
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
More
Thumbs up The final solution!!!
Just great! It worked! Mine was stuck also and tried with the "Accelerometer test" and the litle ball was dropping down the screen and stayed there..... after knocking a few times the phone on the table with every corner (with the hard case on), it started working again!!! Try gently at first and try harder, until it works. Better a bad accelerometer than a broken display or entire phone... xD
Thank you very much.

P.D. : DON'T forget to recalibrate the screen in "General" -> "Smart functions" -> "Movement" on a perfect plane and steady surface!!! I have my phone in spanish and I just translated the menu, but I bet you'll find the option.
En espaņol busca en "General" -> "Funciones inteligentes" -> "Movimiento".
ESPECIALLY if you calibrated before with the malfunctioning Motion Sensor.
Last edited by puiocku; 6th November 2014 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Calibrating thing...
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread