Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,524 Members 42,800 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] [SOLVED] Newbie Google voice question

Tip us?

overzeetop
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [SOLVED]

Okay, so something that was installed, or uninstalled, as I was fiddling with the phone caused GVoice to lose its hook into the calling processes. Uninstalling GVoice and then reinstalling (from the Play store) re-attached it and now it seems to be working correctly. Thanks for everyone's suggestions!

overzeetop
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranphi View Post
If you go into the Google Voice app on your G3 and then go into the Settings for the Google Voice app, you should see an option entitled "Making calls". In that section you have 4 choices to select from for how you want Google Voice to behave when you make a call from your phone using the native phone app:

1) Use Google Voice to make all calls
2) Do not use Google Voice to make any calls
3) Only use Google Voice for international calls
4) Ask every time I make a call

It sounds like you'd prolly want to go with option 4. That way when you go into the Phone app on your G3 and dial a number to place an outgoing call, Google Voice will pop up and ask you if you want the outgoing call to be placed with either your Google Voice number or your "real" phone number that you got from your carrier. This way you have the choice presented to you for every outgoing call you make from your G3.

I've used Google Voice for years now and this is how it's always worked. I use option 1 for my own needs on my cell phone because I just give everyone my Google Voice number and never give out my "real" cell number except to a few choice friends and relatives, so I always want my outgoing calls to show my Google Voice number to the person I'm calling.

Hope that helps you out.
Just a clarification for future searchers - yes, this is supposed to be how it works but somehow my phone stopped doing this. No matter what the setting was, dialing from the phone app dialed with the cell number, and choosing a received message or missed/placed call from the Voice app would dial using the Google Voice interchange. It was weird and, apparently, very unusual behavior.