Lean Mean Battery Power Saving App Review

We talk a lot about battery topics here at XDA TV. We talk about everything from Power Banks to USB … more

Android 5.1 Possibly Coming February 2015

Google released Android 5.0 just over a month ago, and since then Lollipop has been trying to … more

Double Tap to Wake on the Nexus 6 Without Root

A few weeks ago, we featured an app which allowed the Nexus 6 to regain the double tap to wake … more

Make Your Own Heat Sink for the LG Optimus 4X HD

Its not a rare occurrence that performing a resource heavy task on your Android device (e.g. … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Exclamation [Q] Practical phone for office professional?

OP TheRealJobe

29th July 2014, 11:42 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 11
 
14 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2007
Hello all,

I have a defective G3.
Sprint will exchange the device for me, but are also offering to move me to an Galaxy S5.
As I have not had a working G3, and I only get one exchange, I'm not sure what to do.

I initially purchased the G3 because I thought it would be a work horse (extra gig of ram, it supposedly runs cooler than an S5), and a couple of other reasons (great display, and camera's laser focus.)

Ultimately, I need my phone to be capable of surviving a day in the office: reading emails, sending texts, viewing meeting agendas, taking around 3 hours of calls, all through the course of a 9hr day.

That being said is this something that a non-defective G3 can easily handle, or am I going to be pushing my luck on battery life?


Thanks in advance!
30th July 2014, 12:41 AM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 27
 
211 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2006
Honestly, if you need it for work go with the S5. I went from an S5 to the G3. I love the phone, but I barely make it through the day on battery. I use corp email (GOOD), text, phone, web, camera, and evernote throughout the day and while I can usually make it, i'm at less than 20%.
30th July 2014, 12:47 AM   |  #3  
EpicChineseTime's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Genova
Thanks Meter: 15
 
217 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2014
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJobe

Hello all,

I have a defective G3.
Sprint will exchange the device for me, but are also offering to move me to an Galaxy S5.
As I have not had a working G3, and I only get one exchange, I'm not sure what to do.

I initially purchased the G3 because I thought it would be a work horse (extra gig of ram, it supposedly runs cooler than an S5), and a couple of other reasons (great display, and camera's laser focus.)

Ultimately, I need my phone to be capable of surviving a day in the office: reading emails, sending texts, viewing meeting agendas, taking around 3 hours of calls, all through the course of a 9hr day.

That being said is this something that a non-defective G3 can easily handle, or am I going to be pushing my luck on battery life?


Thanks in advance!

If you really want to keep the G3 you should consider an extra spare battery for the G3... I got 2 of those for 15$ plus a charger for the batteries...

Sent from from my LG-D855
30th July 2014, 01:19 AM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 11
 
14 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicChineseTime

If you really want to keep the G3 you should consider an extra spare battery for the G3... I got 2 of those for 15$ plus a charger for the batteries...

Sent from from my LG-D855

Can you point me towards the deal you snagged?
30th July 2014, 01:36 AM   |  #5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 172
 
715 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2009
More
This being a work phone is it truly a work phone so BYOD or you just happen to use it for work purposes? Cause if you're allowed to root it you can remove a lot of the bloat that causes battery drain. You can also use greenify which a great help. I use my phone all day at work (IM, text, notes, meeting planners, web searches and downloads of large files (to keep from being flagged by IT)) and I get home with still 70% battery (10+ hour work day also I have certain tweaks done to the kernel that probably help my battery life significantly). I haven't experienced any heat issues, or lag, or anything that other people have. I'd definitely go with the G3

Sent from my LG-D850 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
30th July 2014, 02:41 AM   |  #6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 27
 
211 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by drock212

This being a work phone is it truly a work phone so BYOD or you just happen to use it for work purposes? Cause if you're allowed to root it you can remove a lot of the bloat that causes battery drain. You can also use greenify which a great help. I use my phone all day at work (IM, text, notes, meeting planners, web searches and downloads of large files (to keep from being flagged by IT)) and I get home with still 70% battery (10+ hour work day also I have certain tweaks done to the kernel that probably help my battery life significantly). I haven't experienced any heat issues, or lag, or anything that other people have. I'd definitely go with the G3

Sent from my LG-D850 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Not to hi-jack the thread but....Anything you'd be willing to share? I'm on the fence about rooting since I don't necessarily "need" to do it, but if you are getting such good battery life with these tweaks i'm certainly interested!
30th July 2014, 02:48 AM   |  #7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 172
 
715 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2009
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwrx02

Not to hi-jack the thread but....Anything you'd be willing to share? I'm on the fence about rooting since I don't necessarily "need" to do it, but if you are getting such good battery life with these tweaks i'm certainly interested!

Pm'd you

Sent from my LG-D850 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
30th July 2014, 03:13 AM   |  #8  
IamPro's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 230
 
1,126 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
M8 has a longer battery then either but if u need removal then its a coin flip imo (pros and cons to both S5 and G3)
30th July 2014, 11:48 AM   |  #9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 43
 
309 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by drock212

Pm'd you

Sent from my LG-D850 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I wouldnt mind finding out how you accomplish such good battery life

Sent from my LG-D855 using XDA Free mobile app
30th July 2014, 03:31 PM   |  #10  
Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
91 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcurran.jc

I wouldnt mind finding out how you accomplish such good battery life

Sent from my LG-D855 using XDA Free mobile app

Quote:
Originally Posted by drock212

Pm'd you

Sent from my LG-D850 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I would be interested also

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes