Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,466 Members 49,132 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: QuadHD screen : deal break or buying factor?
Deal Breaker 3 60.00%
Buying Factor 2 40.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

[Q] Quad HD display : deal breaker or buying factor?

Tip us?

yeahman45
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 64
Default [Q] Quad HD display : deal breaker or buying factor?

I am interested to know if the quad HD display was a buying factor for you guys or instead it was a deal breaker? ; Personally for me I find the Lg G3 great (I wanted to buy the G2 last year but there's no sd-card slot and removable battery) but the quadHD display is a deal breaker for me : it eats battery, increase temperature, reduced brightness and performance and you can hardly notice a diff between 1080p and 2k.

Vote guys thx

xlxcrossing
Old
(Last edited by xlxcrossing; 31st August 2014 at 10:02 AM.)
Thanks Meter 305
At first it was a huge factor since it was a rare upgrade to 1080p. The 1440p screen was only seemingly noticeable when first viewing it but in hindsight I realize there was no added detail in things like web viewing. Even the extra pixel detail in 2k videos is a bit too squashed to fully realize its clarity. I also bought it for what I thought would be speed, performance and battery life. It really hasn't lived up to anything except its design aesthetic. To me its just my smartphone now and not my top of the line smartphone. I can only hope future Android updates will improve the performance of this phone since it really has some amazing specs and is more than capable of delivering a good user experience.

yeahman45
Old
(Last edited by yeahman45; 31st August 2014 at 10:17 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlxcrossing View Post
At first it was a huge factor since it was a rare upgrade to 1080p. The 1440p screen was only seemingly noticeable when first viewing it but in hindsight I realize there was no added detail in things like web viewing. Even the extra pixel detail in 2k videos is a bit too squashed to fully realize its clarity. I also bought it for what I thought would be speed, performance and battery life. It really hasn't lived up to anything except its design aesthetic. To me its just my smartphone now and not my top of the line smartphone. I can only hope future Android updates will improve the performance of this phone since it really has some amazing specs and is more than capable of delivering a good user experience.
I love the design too but performance looks pretty poor and I don't think updates will fix it... it is limited because of that 2k display, which tbh is just a gimmick.

Note 4 is rumoured to be a 2k display which will use the snapdragon 804 which lead to believe snapdragon 801 is not really meant for 2k display in the first place.

GTCC
Old
Thanks Meter 35
So what phone are you looking to buy? S3 S4 Sony SP G2 or G3

Your recent posts are very interesting!

573W1E
Old
Thanks Meter 9
For me the QHD display wasn't a selling point or a deal breaker for me when considering the G3. The other device I was considering was the Xperia Z2 but I was ultimately put off the Z2 by how insistent Sony was in releasing a replacement every 6 months (and lo and behold, its being announced in a week or so). What I liked the look of about the G3 was the fact it was pretty much the only Android phone left with OIS (something I really appreciated on my HTC One and was crestfallen when they removed it from the M8) and that it had a removable battery in a body that actually looked and felt (surprisingly) premium while having a larger display in a similar sized body to other flagships.

Concerning the display, I don't feel that the 1440p resolution is a bad idea. Whether we like it or not, this is where all mobile devices (flagships atleast) will be heading towards very soon, so to be an early adopter will always have teething problems. I think that the Snapdragon 801 is not the problem here that the performance "issues" people are experiencing are down to the software and restrictions put in place to control heat (which can be disabled but frankly, LG should try and focus on improving in this area and build their phones to a slightly higher standard, I guess this is probably the reason why you can find LG's flagships for 2/3 the price of competitors after a few months, there is evidently some cost cutting going on somewhere). Also coming from the One M7, while its display was fantastic (brilliant whites, spot on colours, great viewing angles), the G3's display is really not that much worse, my observations picking up that its not as bright (but still usable outside) and the whites do look a faint greyer. But the tiny bezels on the G3 are a worth it over those small niggles for me.

As much as I have enjoyed my G3 over the last month and a half, my biggest issue with the G3 is the locked bootloader and LG's reluctance to embrace third party developer practises. Many other OEMs such as Sony, HTC and Motorola now offer bootloader unlock processes for their devices, while LG is being far from transparent regarding the issue with mixed messages coming from various channels of communication. Hopefully with the G3 being a sales success for them, this may get them to reconsider.
LG G3 D855 (Int/UK) - Rooted Stock LG 4.4.2
HTC One M7 (801n) - S-OFF, CyanogenMod 11 (Installer)
Sony Xperia Tablet Z (SGP311) - Rooted Stock Sony 4.4.2
---
Asus Nexus 7 (grouper) - Stock 4.3
HTC One X+ (Int) - ViperOne 2.1 (4.2.2)
Samsung Galaxy Note N7000 - Ultimate N7000 XXLSC
HTC Desire HD - Android Revolution HD
The Following User Says Thank You to 573W1E For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

yeahman45
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTCC View Post
So what phone are you looking to buy? S3 S4 Sony SP G2 or G3

Your recent posts are very interesting!
still not sure... but it seems most probably i will break the bank and get a s5 although i like the g3 but too many issues