How to Root Android Wear 5.0.1 Lollipop Devices – XDA TV

The Lollipop update for Android Wear devices has hit the market and people are … more

Android 5.0.2 and New Factory Images For Nexus 7 (Wi-Fi) Available

Android 5.0 is has been publicly available since early November, and the … more

Github Tutorial App Shows You How to Use… Github

Github can get pretty complicated and using it can become quite daunting, especially … more

Google Glass-like Clip-On For Regular Glasses Developed by Sony

For the price of $2,000, a pair of glasses that can run apps, take pictures, … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] Removing Google Apps & Default Apps

OP eijnaix

3rd July 2014, 08:21 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
47 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2013
I'm just wondering if removing some of the default that come pre installed google apps like gmail, playbook, play games ...or even the default calendar apps is going have any impact on the perfomance on the whole phone system or even the battery life.

It's kinda irritating to see apps that's in the app drawer that i dont use....plan to uninstall them off with titanium backup
3rd July 2014, 09:09 AM   |  #2  
Member
Thanks Meter: 19
 
79 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by eijnaix

I'm just wondering if removing some of the default that come pre installed google apps like gmail, playbook, play games ...or even the default calendar apps is going have any impact on the perfomance on the whole phone system or even the battery life.

It's kinda irritating to see apps that's in the app drawer that i dont use....plan to uninstall them off with titanium backup

if they aren't running and never run (in the foreground or background) they won't impact battery life. if they are running you could stop them or freeze them with titanium. the only other difference they make is cluttering up the app drawer and taking up space in the storage.
3rd July 2014, 09:31 AM   |  #3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
47 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueC78

if they aren't running and never run (in the foreground or background) they won't impact battery life. if they are running you could stop them or freeze them with titanium. the only other difference they make is cluttering up the app drawer and taking up space in the storage.

thanks for the info, but removing them would be a better ...yeah ?
3rd July 2014, 10:23 AM   |  #4  
Lennyuk's Avatar
Recognized Developer
Flag Essex, England
Thanks Meter: 1,655
 
6,091 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by eijnaix

thanks for the info, but removing them would be a better ...yeah ?

Removing them, if you never use them won't make any difference at all, you might as well use the "hide" feature in the app drawer.

Removing some LG apps might make a difference, as some of them run even if you never actually use them, but the google apps will only run if you actually open them.

On a side note, I never understand why people buy android phones (especially top of the line, flagship phones!) and then remove almost every trace of Google from them, isn't it kind of defeating the whole point?
3rd July 2014, 12:43 PM   |  #5  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
47 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennyuk

Removing them, if you never use them won't make any difference at all, you might as well use the "hide" feature in the app drawer.

Removing some LG apps might make a difference, as some of them run even if you never actually use them, but the google apps will only run if you actually open them.

On a side note, I never understand why people buy android phones (especially top of the line, flagship phones!) and then remove almost every trace of Google from them, isn't it kind of defeating the whole point?


I uses dropbox over google drive......dont need google music or play bookstore... but uses youtube, map a lot though

I don't suppose android is just about google...isnt it ?
3rd July 2014, 02:33 PM   |  #6  
Protagoras's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 38
 
169 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2014
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennyuk

On a side note, I never understand why people buy android phones (especially top of the line, flagship phones!) and then remove almost every trace of Google from them, isn't it kind of defeating the whole point?

That's the beauty of Android over iOS: you don't HAVE to use Google apps if you don't want to. Being able to uninstall any app should come by default on all ROMs.

I remember the big trial Microsoft has lost when it tried to force all users to use Internet Explorer in Windows. In Europe, they had to add it optionally, and provide way to remove it / download alternative software. Something similar might force Google to do the same in the future (and Apple, LG, Samsung, HTC, etc.)
3rd July 2014, 07:44 PM   |  #7  
sn0warmy's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Denver, CO
Thanks Meter: 893
 
2,030 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2010
More
As far as removing unnecessary core system apps, I've always used Root App Delete with no issues. It does require root but works perfectly to remove any unnecessary apps you don't want. Once I receive my G3 I plan on immediately rooting the phone and using Root App Delete to get rid of any bloat I don't want.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...premover&hl=en
3rd July 2014, 08:22 PM   |  #8  
Senior Member
Flag Edinburgh
Thanks Meter: 25
 
280 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by eijnaix

I uses dropbox over google drive......dont need google music or play bookstore... but uses youtube, map a lot though

I don't suppose android is just about google...isnt it ?

exactly where is my point too, dropbox, youtube and google maps, well gmail etc, but dont wanna use g music, newstand, search, google plus etc. there should be an option to delete them without root!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes