Samsung to LG - satisfied?

Search This thread

jfg69

Jun 21, 2008
Long Island, New York
Im eligible for an upgrade. After thinking about it, I think the camera is my most used function after the phone itself. That being said, I'm trying to get opinions of people who have switched from Samsungs to LG's.. I'm considering the LG G3 vs. Samsung Galaxy 5 vs. Note3. I've watched reviews and read articles. Looking to get the respected views of the XDA community before I pull the trigger.

badrsj

Jan 18, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Im eligible for an upgrade. After thinking about it, I think the camera is my most used function after the phone itself. That being said, I'm trying to get opinions of people who have switched from Samsungs to LG's.. I'm considering the LG G3 vs. Samsung Galaxy 5 vs. Note3. I've watched reviews and read articles. Looking to get the respected views of the XDA community before I pull the trigger.

yes I am very happy with the LG G3 phone find this to have much better connection performance than the Samsung Note 3 as well as the size is very decent and the actual screen size is not that different
the camera performance is also exceptional especially in low light conditions I find this to be much superior

---------- Post added at 01:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 PM ----------

However you may wanna see what else is coming up such as nexus 6, but realistically the G3 is a great device.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

stas333

Feb 2, 2008

Came from S3 to G3. I played with my buddys S5 and was very disappointed in the size to screen ratio. On top of that, the whole knox thing, so i am happy that i dont have a samsung phone anymore.

Harmtan2

Feb 26, 2013
Salt Lake City
I came from the Samsung Galaxy s4. Couldn't be happier with my decision. Better signal, nicer screen to device size ratio, better software than TouchJizz, and I know lots of ppl are complaining about the lag and the 801 not being ready for 1440p screen but I haven't had any issues and it's been way nice. No more lag than the s4 I had to go to a gpe ROM to get rid of it on the s4. Overall I love it and an glad I made the switch.

Sent from my LG-D851 using XDA Free mobile app

hazard99

Jun 13, 2009
Came from a nexus 4 and a sgs2 before that. I'm probably not as picky about things as others. Being that I am on t-mobile and can flash roms that are out there I'm pretty happy with the phone. Any complaints I had about the phone before installed the zone rom are gone. I don't care about battery because I'm usually near power. So all in all happy.

XanoZuke

I believe the S5 is a great device after rooted and with a custom ROM (Snapdragon version, Exynos is a big load of crap). The pictures come out better on the S5 but don't trust in the waterproof feature (it's my honest opinion). The G3 is an excellent device and feels more solid and responsive, but the developer community is still a little slow (due to locked bootloader), but I think it'll get a lot better with time.

Sent from my LG-D855 using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: jfg69
I love my G3 but I miss my s5 at times, but mainly for my gear 2 watch. The G3 is IMO the perfect compromise between the nexus five and the s5. It's more or less what I expected from the s5 before I found out it was a incremental upgrade of the s4 which was an incremental upgrade of the s3. I too am looking forward to a bootloader solution. That being said I find that the G3 still needs a little fine tuning but I'm glad to be rid of Samsung. They ain't gettin no more of my money, for their phones that is.

jtambis6

Coming from a Galaxy S4 and still using the Note 3.

I didn't think the S5 had enough improvements to warrant an upgrade from a S4.

The only downside is that the International G3 D855 has a locked bootloader whereas my old S4 didn't. I had no fears of Flashing whatever to my S4 and if I ever messed up, it is only a few buttons of pressing from Recovery. I can't do that with my G3. I am very cautious on what I change/modify on my G3. Other than that, I love my G3

insang-droid

Sep 24, 2013
Had Samsung for a long time. Since G2, I never looked back. G3 is a huge improvement and I like how its closer to Google experience than Sammy or G2.

Plus when I heard LG was one of the companies signing up for the Google android initiative I have no doubts LG will have best phones and keep their updates coming.

Few things that are immediate .. Vibration. Strong and you'll have less missed calls. Touch .. Less touch delay means easier typing.

Sent from my VS985 4G using XDA Free mobile app

twiifm

Apr 12, 2011
I switched from Galaxy S4. I like this LG G3 so much more. 1 is design. I just think the rounded square look of Samsung is boring. 2 is display. Don't like unnatural colors of AMOLED. 3 is rarity. Too many Samsungs

D0MINO

Jan 14, 2011
Well I came from a 4yr stint with my original Galaxy S (I9000) so it is a HUGE improvement lol I was going to upgrade to the S4 but when it came out I hated the design so thought the G2, but I couldn't do without an SD card and removable battery..then thought the S5/M8 but S5 design is **** & boring let's face it and the M8 is just a phone for sheep as everyone and their dog will get it because simply, it looks fantastic (like Beats headphones, but unlike Beats it actually IS real quality lol). Also, when I went into Carphone Warehouse, the advisor there told me the best phone they had was the M8 or alternatively the G3 second. The M8 is robust and solidly built and had never been brought back for repair in that particular shop. He said the G3 was just as good but that most people went on brand name so didn't trust or know what it had to offer; himself included until an LG rep came and showed them. He told me to stay away from all Samsung phones (S5/Note 3) as they are the top returns for repair with such things as the battery expanding so it doesn't fit anymore.

Yes I miss the opportunities for custom ROMs but I'm sure this will happen soon as it does with every phone - is there actually any phone that cannot absolutely be hacked in some way at some stage? The other thing is that Samsung officially stopped supporting the I9000 2yrs after they released it so I think ICS was the last official ROM and to get GB you had to install custom. Tbh I remember reading and hearing from people that LG pretty much do the same thing but thesedays that doesn't matter to me as I would never stay stuck on stock if there are custom ROMs available, and I'm positive that most phones will have active development communities for years past their sell by date.

I am extremely happy with my G3 and not sure if I would go back to Samsung again in the future when there are so many worthy and equal/superior contenders out now.

Last edited:

jfg69

Jun 21, 2008
Long Island, New York
Thanks for all the replies! I'm going to wait a bit and see if any new phones are released, this IS that time of year, isn't it?.. I don't know how much longer I can put up with my Epic 4g Ive been using the last 2 weeks, since I *lost* my Note2.. :crying:

Laurentiu27

Come from note 3 and I want to say that lg g3 is a great phone however I'm on 10 H EUR version 32GB 3gb ram and when i try to make a video on high resolution the screen freezes and get An error, I'm not rooted or anything else now I'm looking to see what note 4 will look like if it get my expectations i will sale this becouse of lack of developing
Btw i tried make few photos and phone frezed and restarted and got a botloop had to reset to factory settings so I'm not so satisfied about the product yea the screen is great but when you come from a phone that can do anything with it I mean i like flash stuff custom roms and so on to pretty much standard is a down to me as for battery life if you read email and stay a bit on Facebook and so on you will get a full day but if you pay on it or your a hard user you will need battery replacement so my advice wait for the competitions to come out

hexxor93

Aug 25, 2009
London
I came from... Well loads of different devices like the note 2, mi3, nexus 4,5 and htc butterfly s. Half have locked bootloaders and the other don't. The ones that did the software wasn't lagging up the phone so not much issues. But on the note 2 nexus 4 and 5 being able to mod the system and flash stuff without worrying to much of bricking the phone is a plus. Where as you can't do the same on the G3 at the moment. My G3 is just lagging compared to my other two SD800 phones for some reason :S

n3m37h

Dec 3, 2011
Belleville, Ontario
I came from a Galaxy S3 and I doubt I will ever go back to Samsung. Too many hardware issues. Everyone I know with Samsung phones are always complaining about the usb ports (which I had issues with too) I have an old LG GT540 from 6 years ago and that thing still kicks around.

Sent from my LG-D852 using XDA Premium HD app

---------- Post added at 03:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:07 AM ----------

Hexxor you need to go on the development portion if the forum and you will find on how to speed up the phone. Mine is silky smooth

Sent from my LG-D852 using XDA Premium HD app

almaalma74

Mar 11, 2009
Came from S3 to G3. I played with my buddys S5 and was very disappointed in the size to screen ratio. On top of that, the whole knox thing, so i am happy that i dont have a samsung phone anymore.

that "knox thing" will be part of next android by google (check IO 2014)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello hazard99, any chances you've got access to an AT&T SIM, I'd like to know if it gets lte on AT&T. Thanks

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
    I believe the S5 is a great device after rooted and with a custom ROM (Snapdragon version, Exynos is a big load of crap). The pictures come out better on the S5 but don't trust in the waterproof feature (it's my honest opinion). The G3 is an excellent device and feels more solid and responsive, but the developer community is still a little slow (due to locked bootloader), but I think it'll get a lot better with time.

Sent from my LG-D855 using XDA Free mobile app
    I love my G3 but I miss my s5 at times, but mainly for my gear 2 watch. The G3 is IMO the perfect compromise between the nexus five and the s5. It's more or less what I expected from the s5 before I found out it was a incremental upgrade of the s4 which was an incremental upgrade of the s3. I too am looking forward to a bootloader solution. That being said I find that the G3 still needs a little fine tuning but I'm glad to be rid of Samsung. They ain't gettin no more of my money, for their phones that is.
    Coming from a Galaxy S4 and still using the Note 3.

I didn't think the S5 had enough improvements to warrant an upgrade from a S4.

The only downside is that the International G3 D855 has a locked bootloader whereas my old S4 didn't. I had no fears of Flashing whatever to my S4 and if I ever messed up, it is only a few buttons of pressing from Recovery. I can't do that with my G3. I am very cautious on what I change/modify on my G3. Other than that, I love my G3
    Had Samsung for a long time. Since G2, I never looked back. G3 is a huge improvement and I like how its closer to Google experience than Sammy or G2.

Plus when I heard LG was one of the companies signing up for the Google android initiative I have no doubts LG will have best phones and keep their updates coming.

Few things that are immediate .. Vibration. Strong and you'll have less missed calls. Touch .. Less touch delay means easier typing.

Sent from my VS985 4G using XDA Free mobile app