T-Mobile HTC One M8 Gets Selfie-Friendly Android 4.4.4 OTA

The T-Mobie variant of HTC One (M8) just now received an over-the-air update … more

Android L is for Lockdown

Root is, without a doubt, the (un)holy grail of the Android world. Those wonderful permissions that allow you as … more

XDA Xposed Tuesday: XHangouts Will Improve Your Hangouts

Ever since Google started supporting text messaging in Hangouts many people have … more

Shattered Screen? Turn Your Broken Device into a Complete Media Center!

A cracked screen usually means you’ll have to spend a hefty … more

SD Card access from USB

OP rjacobs

28th July 2014, 05:49 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag St. Louis
Thanks Meter: 0

87 posts
More
I have searched a bit and havent found anything that seems like a fix.

I generally plug my phone in in my vehicle via a USB cable to my headunit. My old HTC Evo LTE would allow the SD card(external I guess is the correct term) to be accessed and I could then use my phone like a hard drive and play my music off of the SD card.

I cant seem to get this going on the G3. I have tried every option on the menu that comes up, but nothing works.

Anybody got any idea's or an app that would force this functionality?
28th July 2014, 05:55 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 25

159 posts
Does your car support BT access? That is what I use on mine.

Otherwise, if your phone is rooted, perhaps after you connect your phone you need to tell the phone to change its USB connection type to MTP.
28th July 2014, 06:22 PM   |  #3  
OP Member
Flag St. Louis

87 posts
More
yea its got bluetooth but the implementation is crappy(2014 Jeep, but the radio is the same as the 07's so much older technology). Sometimes you can use the steering wheel controls and it will change the track, other times it wont it will just act like its doing something, but nothing happens. Being able to use the phone as a portable hard drive works flawlessly(as I used to do the with HTC).
28th July 2014, 06:59 PM   |  #4  
Flag Graz
Thanks Meter: 2,163

2,965 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjacobs

I have searched a bit and havent found anything that seems like a fix.

I generally plug my phone in in my vehicle via a USB cable to my headunit. My old HTC Evo LTE would allow the SD card(external I guess is the correct term) to be accessed and I could then use my phone like a hard drive and play my music off of the SD card.

I cant seem to get this going on the G3. I have tried every option on the menu that comes up, but nothing works.

Anybody got any idea's or an app that would force this functionality?

That's probably related to the lack of mass storage since ... I guess it's been ics, but mtp and ptp instead of it, if your stereo doesn't support it, there isn't much what can be done unfortunately (there was a mass storage app, for the galaxy s3 [i9300] with which you could reanable it, but I highly doubt it'll work at the g3).

Sent from my LG-D855
The Following User Says Thank You to Tectas For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th July 2014, 08:08 PM   |  #5  
OP Member
Flag St. Louis

87 posts
More
yea thats I guess what I am seeing now that I am searching using the proper terms.

Some people are having success using the various apps but they all require root, which i am no opposed to, but I have a mac, not a PC so root for me will be a bit until somebody develops an easier to use root method for the mac or a downloadable straight to the phone. Towelroot isnt working for the G3 yet either.

Oh well, guess ill just load up my 4gig usb stick and roll with that.
30th July 2014, 12:26 PM   |  #6  
Flag Graz
Thanks Meter: 2,163

2,965 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjacobs

yea thats I guess what I am seeing now that I am searching using the proper terms.

Some people are having success using the various apps but they all require root, which i am no opposed to, but I have a mac, not a PC so root for me will be a bit until somebody develops an easier to use root method for the mac or a downloadable straight to the phone. Towelroot isnt working for the G3 yet either.

Oh well, guess ill just load up my 4gig usb stick and roll with that.

PurpleDrake works on all platforms, look at the development section.
2nd August 2014, 05:28 AM   |  #7  
Flag Lake Balboa
Thanks Meter: 3

29 posts
More
I have the same issue with my aftermarket Kenwood stereo. I just found out that the newer phones are no longer using the Mass Storage option as older models used to. They use a new one call MTP; it's kind of plug & play.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread