FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] Stock Roms VS CM/AOSP Roms

80 posts
Thanks Meter: 7

By kilador, Member on 15th June 2015, 07:09 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi There,

I want to ask people that have tried several different roms: What are the big differences between Stock roms and CM/AOSP Roms?

Also: What are the downsizes of using CM/AOSP Roms? I head about a worse camera but is that all of it?

Thanks in advance!

Best,
C.

16th June 2015, 04:55 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilador

Hi There,

I want to ask people that have tried several different roms: What are the big differences between Stock roms and CM/AOSP Roms?

Also: What are the downsizes of using CM/AOSP Roms? I head about a worse camera but is that all of it?

Thanks in advance!

Best,
C.

I am finding out that every custom rom that i try, CM or AOSP, has a bluetooth ble bug. They will not see bluetooth low energy devices such as some fitness trackers. Custom roms look much better than stock roms but i am forced to being on stock because of that.
25th August 2015, 06:39 PM |#3  
OP Member

More
Can someone using non stock roms throw a bit of light over here please?

1. Does FM radio work?
2. Does the camera picture quality drop by a lot?
3. Does the eye recognition feature work?
4. Does the knock knock wake feature work?
5. Does battery life improve or worsen?
6. Does it have a Bluetooth bug such as the poster above mention?

Any feedback on these matters will be very much appreciated

Thanks!
26th August 2015, 12:07 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 187

More
For me, i tired 2 AOSP roms, and went back to stock after a month, THEN i heard that it supported 4k via Snap Camera so i flashed another AOSP Rom, im now back on cloudy 2.5

The let downs for me are...

The Camera sucks so hard - nothing comes close to stock, not even lenovo super camera, the moto port.

Battery sucks, yea it can vary Rom to Rom but for me, battery life was crap, im not (and many others) arent interested in flashing 4-5 different kernels and then having to use Synapse to tweak stuff to get the best out of it.

Laggy, i got lags, even with it set on "performance" and having it set there drained even MORE battery.

Many people are happy on AOSP roms but after nearly a year with my G3, stock is still the best (purely IMO)

Good luck
The Following User Says Thank You to Vivasanti For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Vivasanti Ad-Free
26th August 2015, 05:18 AM |#5  
Flag Moscow
Thanks Meter: 1,800

More
Quote:

Can someone using non stock roms throw a bit of light over here please?

1. Does FM radio work?
2. Does the camera picture quality drop by a lot?
3. Does the eye recognition feature work?
4. Does the knock knock wake feature work?
5. Does battery life improve or worsen?
6. Does it have a Bluetooth bug such as the poster above mention?

Any feedback on these matters will be very much appreciated

Thanks!

1. Yes, with Spirit FM app
2. Yes, especially in low light.
3. Not included in custom roms, can be added by application.
4. Double tap to wake works most of the time. Periodically it stops working and user have to disable and enable it.
5. Well, i've got 0.5%/h in deep sleep, and 6-6.5H in active browsing via LTE. Screenshots attached. RR 5.5.3, pure stock - no custom kernel, sysctl/buildprop/etc tweaks.
6. Never had any BL LE device, can't say.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2015-07-29-19-53-34.png
Views:	126
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	3451821   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2015-07-29-19-53-39.png
Views:	118
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	3451822  
The Following User Says Thank You to YaDr For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift YaDr Ad-Free
26th August 2015, 10:28 AM |#6  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaDr

1. Yes, with Spirit FM app
2. Yes, especially in low light.
3. Not included in custom roms, can be added by application.
4. Double tap to wake works most of the time. Periodically it stops working and user have to disable and enable it.
5. Well, i've got 0.5%/h in deep sleep, and 6-6.5H in active browsing via LTE. Screenshots attached. RR 5.5.3, pure stock - no custom kernel, sysctl/buildprop/etc tweaks.
6. Never had any BL LE device, can't say.

Many thanks for your comments, greatly appreciated

Did you implement any tweak to achieve that much sot battery life? Like reducing screen resolution and such. What battery life did you manage to get back with a stock rom? To compare.
And the camera in good light conditions, does quality really suffer that much?

Thanks again!
26th August 2015, 11:25 AM |#7  
Flag Moscow

More
Quote:

Many thanks for your comments, greatly appreciated

Did you implement any tweak to achieve that much sot battery life? Like reducing screen resolution and such. What battery life did you manage to get back with a stock rom? To compare.
And the camera in good light conditions, does quality really suffer that much?

Thanks again!

No tweaks, no resolution changing (Besides, it won't change battery life unless you're gaming, 2d performance for FHD and 2K is very close on Adreno 330) and no custom kernel.

This result is consistent - today I lost 23% for 3h of usage, of which 83 minutes are SOT. 83/23*100 = 360,8 minutes of SOT if usage pattern won't change. 6 hours of browsing on LTE while travelling through city (i.e changing cells often and high brightness) is good enough for G3.
On standby, I lose 0.4 - 0.7% per hour, depending on how much data there is to sync.

On stock KK, I almost always got 5.10 - 5.30 h of SOT with same usage pattern. But KK was pretty laggy, so I switched on LL. I tried every D855 5.0 build which lg released (With the exception of 20B/C), and even on latest builds I struggled to get 5h SOT, usually phone ended up dry after 4.30 - 4.40 h.

Camera postprocessing in normal conditions is worse than on stock - pictures are less sharp, example of AOSP photos attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150823_152732.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	258.0 KB
ID:	3452112   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150822_205916.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	249.2 KB
ID:	3452113   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150823_152504.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	260.6 KB
ID:	3452114  
The Following User Says Thank You to YaDr For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift YaDr Ad-Free
26th August 2015, 05:32 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 187

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaDr

No tweaks, no resolution changing (Besides, it won't change battery life unless you're gaming, 2d performance for FHD and 2K is very close on Adreno 330) and no custom kernel.

This result is consistent - today I lost 23% for 3h of usage, of which 83 minutes are SOT. 83/23*100 = 360,8 minutes of SOT if usage pattern won't change. 6 hours of browsing on LTE while travelling through city (i.e changing cells often and high brightness) is good enough for G3.
On standby, I lose 0.4 - 0.7% per hour, depending on how much data there is to sync.

On stock KK, I almost always got 5.10 - 5.30 h of SOT with same usage pattern. But KK was pretty laggy, so I switched on LL. I tried every D855 5.0 build which lg released (With the exception of 20B/C), and even on latest builds I struggled to get 5h SOT, usually phone ended up dry after 4.30 - 4.40 h.

Camera postprocessing in normal conditions is worse than on stock - pictures are less sharp, example of AOSP photos attached.

Great post mate thanks

DId you just pretty much flash RR and thats all, wow, impressive SOT !
26th August 2015, 05:37 PM |#9  
Flag Moscow

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivasanti

Great post mate thanks

DId you just pretty much flash RR and thats all, wow, impressive SOT !

Yes.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)