Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,791 Members 49,057 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Stuttering during video playback

Tip us?

T.R.A.N.C.E.
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default Stuttering during video playback

I often watch a movie or TV serie on my phone before sleeping, but I have noticed that the video payback is not always smooth and there are slight stutters as if the G3 doesn't have enough power to play back full HD high bitrate, particularly in Matroska formats. So whats up with this? I know the G3 is plenty powerful to be able to play without stutter, so could it be some kind of power saving feature holding the cpu performance back and causing stuttering? This is ridiculous to be happening with a flag ship phone! Any ideas on how to fix this?

flaring afro
Old
Thanks Meter 54
I assume these are on your phone and not on your network or the web or something. Have you seen this thread?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2796449

You could try turning off the throttling (at your own risk).

T.R.A.N.C.E.
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaring afro View Post
I assume these are on your phone and not on your network or the web or something. Have you seen this thread?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2796449

You could try turning off the throttling (at your own risk).
I will try that and report back, the only strange thing is that my phone does not get warm at all when watching video, so I don't think its a problem with temperature, I usually watch at very low brightness.

T.R.A.N.C.E.
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
I tried turning off the throttling features and it made no difference. I think maybe the stock video player is just not optimized well, so I am going to try VLC and see how that goes.

Enddo
Old
Thanks Meter 656
I'm not sure if this will be of any help, I hope VLC works for you. I use BS Player on my 2012 nexus 7 to play my 1080p bluray rips(at whatever bitrate the pirate scene rips at). I would suggest trying that one and to play with the hardware decoding options if things don't seem smooth with it.

flaring afro
Old
Thanks Meter 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.R.A.N.C.E. View Post
I tried turning off the throttling features and it made no difference. I think maybe the stock video player is just not optimized well, so I am going to try VLC and see how that goes.
You could try that. May work. The other option would be to turn off the power saving feature LG put in that limits the cpu. It likely turns down for easier frames and then has trouble with frames with more detail, since compressed video is variable like that. I'm not sure if anyone has completely disabled this though, and it may have a huge impact on battery life.